Midwife Care

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by LoobyLou75, Sep 2, 2009.

1. LoobyLou75

LoobyLou75 Mum of 3

Ok, so I know when you are on baby number 2, 3 etc that antenatal care isn't as frequent, but I haven't seen my midwife since week 9 and won't until week 21. Is this normal or does it vary from area to area?

When I had my 2, I lived in a different area and you had a moby number for the midwife with which there was always someone on call 24/7 but here you have to leave a message on an answerphone with the hope that they'll get back to you or the emergency number puts you through to the labour ward.

2. new mummy h

new mummy h First little princess!!!!

do u not get a 16 week check up to get your blood results etc?? maybe give them a call xx

3. LoobyLou75

LoobyLou75 Mum of 3

No. Was told blood results would be given at 21 weeks. Midwife said I have to contact them to make an appointment after my 20 week scan!

4. QTPie

QTPie Well-Known Member

Here MW appointments are about every 4 weeks-ish. We have the same system as you with the answerphone (well it is manned 8.30-9.30am, the rest of the day you leave a message on the answerphone or phone the delivery ward if there is a problem...).

I think it varies from area to area: most will try about every 4 weeks, but resources in some areas are VERY stretched...

Personally I wasn't very impressed with the MW appointments anyway - she would test my urine and take my BP, that was about all. They probably become more thorough later on (although I have since changed hospitals and everything is better for me now...).

QT

5. sugarpuff

sugarpuff Well-Known Member

i'm on my first pregnancy and haven't seen midwife since my booking in appointment and won't see them again until 24 weeks ! it's ridiculous care in my area