Midwife 'guesstimate' of birth date - update - in labour!

lj2245

Reaction score
I saw a different midwife today as my usual is on holiday. She offered me a sweep as I'm now overdue. I accepted and she tried but said my cervix was too closed to do it. She then said I would be at least another week before going in to labour, by the feel of my cervix.

I'm a bit gutted by this as baby is about 8.5lbs already and I am not sleeping or able to walk because of my SPD and arthritis. She has booked me for induction on the 22nd but I've to speak to a consultant on Monday about getting it brought forward to the 19th because of the state of my pelvis.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone else had been told they wouldn't go into labour for at least a week and if this was true or not? :shrug:

After a examinatuon my mw started talking about booking a induction date for the next week. Willow was born that day :)

Me. I went into labour that night on the treadmill at gym. Was told. At least a week probably induction so went to gym to let off steam. Just walking mind you. For my first contraction and labour started fully. 2 hours later

It's impossible for her to know this. Everybody is completely different and she can't possibly know if your cervix will begin to ripen and dilate a second after leaving the surgery. So take what she says with a pinch of salt and focus on proving her wrong ;) lets hope you see her postnatally (within the next week with your baby) ;) xx

Not had any experience but pleased to see that people can prove her wrong. Keep on bouncing, and walking (I'd LOVE a treadmill at home, in front of the tv, with a shelf for my cake and hot chocolate :haha: )
Hope it starts for you soon x

Thanks guys :) I wish I could go for a walk to get things going but I'm on crutches/wheelchair. I have tried bouncing on my ball though :)

I wouldn't be so annoyed about another week but I've had plug loss and contractions since 36 weeks and it's so frustrating to hear that it's had no effect on my cervix!!

With ds i saw midwife at 39+5 and was told his head was still free, nowhere near engaged and i def wouldnt be having a baby anytime soon. Waters broke 9.40pm 39+6, contractions started 1am and he was born 3.25am spot on 40wks. So in my case midwife was way wrong!!

Well...like you all could have predicted my waters have just gone! Quite spectacularly too, all over my bed...floor...bathroom. Lol

My midwife says it will be very close to my EDD, but it is really a hormonal thing, and has nothing to do with activity so she said to take it easy, rest all I can and it will come.

Well...like you all could have predicted my waters have just gone! Quite spectacularly too, all over my bed...floor...bathroom. Lol

Yay! Good luck!:happydance:

Lol yay!! This made me laugh!! All that bouncing on your ball must have done something! X

Whoop whoop! That's brill! Are you contracting? I'm really chuffed for you :happydance:

Small, irregular contractions. I'm Lying in the bath. Husband is just off nightshift so he could do with some sleep hehe.

Ooh.... Wait that was a proper contraction. Puff!!!

I think baths can slow labour? Bouncy bouncy! I'm excited for you. I shall live through you since I have no signs myself.

I dunno about them slowing labour but I definitely needed one. Was drenched in waters and plug. I'm not in any hurry now I know its happening, my son isn't getting picked up until lunch time and my DH could do with a sleep before I feel happy with him driving an hour to hospital!

I said in my 'the dog is looking at me funny' thread that I wasn't going to protect my mattress as sods law, my waters would break on it. Well...that one worked well!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->