Midwife in Training! Aunty's Little Heart Attack

A

Akira

Just reading all your wonderful stories and thought I'd share one of my own.
Now, this was not my baby beinbg born, but my best friends.

Id gone to visit her on Xmas day 08 and she was 3 1/2 weeks from her due date. She also had twin girls, 19 months old at the time. Id noticed during the day that Elise was a bit slower than usual at getting up after the twins, and had seen her flinch a few times.

I was concerned as to how she would get to hospital if she went into labour (only help she had was granny) so offered to stay the night. I knew that she was only in labour for 2 1/2 hours with the twins so got everything ready while she was having a bath, just in case. Got a bag ready for the twins as I was going to be looking after them while she was in the hospital. After her bath she went for a sleep, but came out in tears not half an hour later. She was releived that everything was ready and we got the twins into the car while she waited inside.

As I was helping her to the car, she had one contraction in the garage, and another before we even got the the car (like 3m away!). I immediately pulled out the cellphone and called the ambulance as we were in the country and because she had just moved, her midwife was 5hrs away!!! The nearest hospital was 40min away so off we went.

We pulled over to meet the ambulance (outside a pub LMAO) and when they got there they had sent me a crew which were rather lowly qualified (I myself am an Ambulace Officer so had an idea of what to expect...however the 16 year old who had just sat a first aid course didnt!)

Once we got her into the ambulance we sent the car off with granny to meet us at the hospital. I went in the ambulance with my friend and we took off sirens blaring. Once she was lying down, I got her clothes off and she was fully dialated and crowning! (I just about freaked out) Thankfully, I kept my cool (and got some towels ready, and the gas for the poor girl!) and told the ambulance to pull over. Unfortunately...it was too late! Baby Cayleigh Alexis was born in the back of an ambulance...in the middle of an intersection!

Thankfully everything went fine, Cayleigh was just fine, and Elise managed to deliver the placenta (after having a manual removal with the twins). Bubs was born at 11.02pm on the 25/12/2008 weighing 7 pound 6oz! Auntys little heart attack for sure!!!

Wow well done you. Whats a 16 year old doing in an ambulance crew though lol
xx

In New Zealand you can go and 'observe' at 16 and then treat at 18, I think due to it being Xmas and we are mainly run on a volunteer basis they just took what they could get. I put in my 2 cents to the shift manager though! They certainly knew I was not impressed

Oooooh i wouldnt have been to impressed either
xx

No poor old Elise had to deal with the silly girl going "I dont know what to do" all the time...somehow I can't imagine wanting to hear that when I go into labour!!! It was the most amazing thing I have ever done though, and what a story to crack out at bubbas 21st LOL

That's a fantastic story! Well done you for being so calm and supportive, I bet that meant a lot to her.

xxx

wow, well I think she was very lucky to have you there!!! Thanks for sharing the story xx

wow well done! I would have completely freaked!!
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->