Midwife said 10 day old isn't eating enough.

Smudge101

Reaction score
I'm demand feeding and she's having 60ml every 2/3 hours which the midwife said isn't enough and she should be having 90ml every 3 hours.

Holly's now crying out for a feed after 2 hours but I know if I feed her now she won't take 90ml. I feel like the worst mummy in the world :(

personally i would ignore the MW & carry on what your doing. Aslong as LO is feeding then i dont see the problem.. xx

Just ignore them. 90 ml is a lot. Have you ever seen the diagrams showing the size of a new baby's stomach? It's only about 60-80 ml by day 10. My daughter wasn't eating 90 ml bottles until she was about 8 weeks old at least. As long as your daughter is happy and isn't dropping in weight centiles, she's fine. If she's hungry, feed her. If she doesn't seem to want anymore, then great, she's satisfied. The fact she doesn't want more than that is a great sign you're feeding her well and trusting her instincts.

You can make up 90 ml bottles but don't get hung up on things if she only finishes 30 ml. Just throw the rest out and make a new one later when she's next hungry. Midwives are experts in pregnancy and birth (for the most part, though some still don't know what they're doing even with that), but they aren't experts on baby feeding. Do what feels right to you and don't feel bad about it. You're doing a great job!

60ml sounds about what my baby was having at that stage. Ignore the midwife you're not doing anything wrong! Your baby will let you know when when she's hungry.

Please do ignore your midwife, your baby is doing fine drinking however much you're giving her. At 10 days, my boy was drinking 3 oz and didn't move on to 4 oz until about 3 weeks old. Every baby is different and I think you, as a parent, know how much your baby is getting.

Doctors and midwives are good to have, but I don't put all my faith in them when it comes to raising my child. I'm a bit old fashioned, I guess.

My LO was only having 50/60ml at that's age. 90ml is a lot and I would not expect a baby that young to want that much. Their bellies are only tiny. Carry on with what you are doing. As long as she continues to gain weight and lots of wet nappies, she is fine :flower:

Just feed on demand. I dont get this feed every 3 hours rubbish. As long as the baby is putting on weight then dont worry x

You are right she is wrong .See graphic.

Attachments

• 1094788_605500509482049_1934560806_n.jpg
    1094788_605500509482049_1934560806_n.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 37
Is she not gaining weight? If she is I wouldn't worry about trying for more. When our boys were first born the pediatrician told us 2-3oz a feed but not to push it if they wouldn't take that much.

Is she not gaining weight? If she is I wouldn't worry about trying for more. When our boys were first born the pediatrician told us 2-3oz a feed but not to push it if they wouldn't take that much.

Yeah she's gaining weight nicely. HV is happy with her and said what she's having is fine.

Do what you want and what baby wants don't worry

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->