Midwife told me: "your bump is measuring too small"!

Xinola

Loving my time with Sini
Reaction score
Tuesday was my meeting with the midwife, we are planning a homebirth, and everything sounds great (while daunting anyway). And then, when measuring the fundal height she says: it's small... you need to get a scan.

I felt so grim inside of me. Like a cloud covered my senses and clear thinking did not exist from then onwards. Felt like what have I not done to help my lo to grow properly? My poor oh was trying to dig me out of my dark pit, and said that maybe she didn't measure me right. Baby has engaged and I want to think that such is the reason that she had dismissed.

So, yesterday, had a scan where the baby's femur measured within the normal lenght. However, because the scan that I had was because of a study I'm voluteering for, they are not allowed to give me further info. Thus, we had to book another scan appt for Monday. I assume this will be what it's called a 'growth scan'.

I just want to think positive, and that my lo is fine altogether.

I work for a scan department and we see a lot of 3rd trimester ladys coming in for growth scans because they measue big or small. Very rare is this because of a problem and infact most of the time the baby meausre perfect and there is no reason for the bog or small measurements. Its unfair really as we get soi worrried. Im 27 weeks pregnant but my fundal height is 28 pregnant and my baby is 29 weeks pregnant and there is no reason for this. I no its hard and id be worried to but try not to, you no allready your baby is measuring perfect and you should have more info if there is any on monday.

I'm measuring 5 weeks behins according to my fundal height and when I last had a growth scan I was just not carrying a lot of water. I've got another one scheduled for Monday.

im measuring 3cm behind but at my grothscan lo was bang on the average line.
my Lo is laid all t one side which affects my fh.
try not to worry im sure everything is fine with your lo

Honestly don't worry :hugs:

There are so many ladies in here measuring big/small. Me included.

Do you know how far behind you are measuring according to FH? FH can be so misleading, it can depend on babys position, the amount of fluid etc. I was measuring 5 weeks behind at one point, caught up a little now. Scans have shown that baby is perfectly healthy, just on the smaller side. If you think about it - you get full term babies that weigh anywhere between 5lb-10lb, they can't expect everyone to measure exactly the same.

Look on the bright side -you get to see your fully developed LO again at the scan :cloud9:

xx

Thank you guys, it's reassuring to read your experiences as well. I think you are all right on your comments, my dh told me the same things, but I'm so pesimistic sometimes.

Suzanne 108, I'm measuring 4wks behind according to tuesday's measurement. And yes, I think, I'll get that other chance to see the Stowaway Passenger being poked and rebelling against the scanning thingy.

Hope all goes well, keep us updated!

And try not to spend the whole weekend worrying :hugs:

I had this too, have measured a few weeks small all the way through and MW says it's just the way the baby is lying. I got sent for a scan and I was sooooo nervous, but all was fine and they estimated the weight at 7lb 4, that was two weeks ago! The sonographer I had was really nice and she said that she sees lots of people sent for growth scans just because they are carrying neatly - everyone is different and fundal height is very unreliable so do try not to worry. I also think that even if they wouldn't tell you a lot of info at the scan you had the other day, they would have kept you in and spoken to you if they were really concerned so I am sure everything is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->