might be getting a kitten, what are the rule while preg??

ricschick

Proud mummy of 6!
Reaction score
hey guys we are thinking of getting a kitten but im not sure on what precautions i have to take? can someone feel me in? thanks x

Its changing the litter tray and cat poo that's the problem but if you can get someone else to do that you should be fine :)

Hi just remember Kittens are sooooooooo playful and can scratch things etc....you might not be too pleased if it started scratching your baby items lol!!

anyway the main thing is to avoid cleaning the litter tray if you can. If you have to do it yourself then wear gloves and wash your hands afterwards. Some people wear masks too :thumbup:

thats all i can think of right now sorry if that wasnt much help!

xx

Just try to have someone else clean out the litter box...if not, make sure to use gloves and a face mask of some sort and be sure to thoroughly wash your hands after.

Just don't change the litter tray, if you do have to change it, use gloves and a poop scoop. Other than that there is no issue with having a kitten.

Congrats on being owned by a cat, I love my purbabies:cloud9:

get them declawed keepout of babys room cuz sometim,es babies are allergic also stay away from the smell of the litter and DONT CHANGE IT let someone else

this is probably a stupid question but does it affect the baby through my skin?

i have recetly had 2 kittens they are now 20weeks and driving me absolutely crazy am seriously thinking i will have to get rid they are all over everything i the thought of them going near my baby ewe!!! :growlmad:

eg this morning i can down stairs and one of them had been sick all over the floor OMG grose- cant handle it!!

seriously think about it hun am proper regretting it now :( they are really lovely at times but when they scratching at my sofa and climbing up everything - GROSE

:hugs:

well im hoping to be able to train it not to go upstairs at all!! but will get it declawed i think. x

Good advice already :)
Other than that- start as you mean to go on- ie no cats in the babys room.
I wish I had never started letting mine up stairs, my bedroom has no door as its the attic and trying to teach my cats who have been alowed anywhere (if they miow for the door to be opened) to not being allowed upstairs its quite hard!

Mine are out door kitties but we have a litter box for when its cold and we shut the window but my OH cleans it.

Oh, also I know its difficult but do discourage them from jumping on the worktops too because if they have been in the litter box it spreads it. I always know when mine have been up because there are muddy paw prints! I keep a spray bottle of anti- bacterial handy :)

ive grown up with cats so im used to them and find they keep themselves to themselves most of the time. but will defo think hard before hand xx

Please please do not get your kitty declawed :(
The kitty would Never be able to be an outside cat they need their claws to help balance and climb.
Plenty of cat toys and a tall cat tree will keep kitty happy, and if s/he goes to scratch something that isn't, a spray bottle and firm no works well. I have 2 cats and they don't scratch my furniture.

oh- 2 kittens is better than one, one will need alot of human interaction to keep it happy and two will play together and keep eachother amused.. you might find with one you dont have time to keep it amused with the baby and then it will get bored and scratch/pee (yes- my old cat did! :( )

Please please do not get your kitty declawed :(
The kitty would Never be able to be an outside cat they need their claws to help balance and climb.
Plenty of cat toys and a tall cat tree will keep kitty happy, and if s/he goes to scratch something that isn't, a spray bottle and firm no works well. I have 2 cats and they don't scratch my furniture.

oh- 2 kittens is better than one, one will need alot of human interaction to keep it happy and two will play together and keep eachother amused.. you might find with one you dont have time to keep it amused with the baby and then it will get bored and scratch/pee (yes- my old cat did! :( )

ok i wont!!! just keep them trimmed right?? defo will be getting all toys and scratch tree lol xx

I think getting a cat/kitten when you are expecting a new baby is a bad idea.

Yes, they are lovely and cute and playful but not practical and not all cats/kittens are alike. Whilst you may think you have trained your cat they are a law unto themselves. I loved mine dearly but unlike my dog he was never really trained and I wouldn't trust the cat not to cuddle up with the baby, why wouldnt he when there were no rules about cuddling up with me on the sofa when I was asleep and .... I went to my friends house the other day for tea and a chat and the cat jumped on the worktop whilst she was making tea.....yuk. I didn't stay for a sandwich god knows where those paws had been!

ok i wont!!! just keep them trimmed right?? defo will be getting all toys and scratch tree lol xx

I'v actually found (my pair were indoor cats for 11 months before we moved) the more we trimmed the claws back, the more they attacked the furniture! As that is how they sharpen them.

I bought a cheap kitten tree from argos when I got them, but as they got bigger (you want one they can't reach the top of when stretched up) I got a big branch (about 6" diameter and 4ft long) and some cat tree rope- cant remember the name sorry- off ebay and stapled it and wound it round attaching a few toys on the way up. They love that tree :) I also screwed a platform on the top and my female cat sleeps there.

Get a laser pen- hours of amusement! :D And lots of shiny things to chase :)

omg please dont get a kitten and then have it altered to suit your life ie declawing

if people are unable to take care of a cat without having it declawed, which is just wrong, then maybe better not having one

well im hoping to be able to train it not to go upstairs at all!! but will get it declawed i think. x

This is a real hot-button subject so I don't want to derail by commenting further, but will just point out that it's illegal in the UK so definitely not an option for you.

My cats are my best buddies and I love them to BITS - but I always give my friends dire warnings when they talk about maybe getting one ... litterboxes, smells, hair everywhere, litter getting tracked through the house, vomit, needing to find a catsitter for holidays, kittens can be REALLY destructive for the first few years, they have incredible energy, plus don't forget that cats can easily live for 20+ years so in some ways (ok not many, but still) it's a bigger commitment than having a baby!
Then there are also expenses like vaccinations, chipping, and of course neutering which is essential given the enormous overpopulation of domestic cats.

I am not trying to put you off, just making sure that you're prepared if you haven't had a cat before. I couldn't live without mine (one is curled up next to me purring as I type this) but my word they are a handful at times! :wacko:

ive grown up with cats so im used to them and find they keep themselves to themselves most of the time. but will defo think hard before hand xx

Oh sorry, somehow I missed this!

You might also want to consider getting an older cat from a shelter - I got one of my two from there and he is an absolute delight, plus so much calmer than my youngun whom I got as a kitten - he's a holy terror!

Cats can actually be trained. If you remain firm from the start there shouldn't be a problem because kitty will know you are boss. Like dogs, it's a pack thing (like lions and lionesses in a pride). You'll be the pack leader. Because you know bub is on the way you can set the rules straight away. I have a ragdoll cat, Jabba, who has been my baby for 2 yrs now. We are starting now to put rules in place of where he can and can't go so when Squirt comes, he will be trained to know not to go in Squirts room. I recommend using a spray bottle and a deep firm voice when disaplining. Jabba has responded well to these new rules and will not go into the bedrooms. He was was getting a habit of jumping up onto the benches when we weren't home, but we sprinkled some pepper on the bench tops just once and he has not jumped up again since!

I think you should get your kitten. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->