might be getting a kitten, what are the rule while preg??

well im hoping to be able to train it not to go upstairs at all!! but will get it declawed i think. x

This is a real hot-button subject so I don't want to derail by commenting further, but will just point out that it's illegal in the UK so definitely not an option for you.

My cats are my best buddies and I love them to BITS - but I always give my friends dire warnings when they talk about maybe getting one ... litterboxes, smells, hair everywhere, litter getting tracked through the house, vomit, needing to find a catsitter for holidays, kittens can be REALLY destructive for the first few years, they have incredible energy, plus don't forget that cats can easily live for 20+ years so in some ways (ok not many, but still) it's a bigger commitment than having a baby!
Then there are also expenses like vaccinations, chipping, and of course neutering which is essential given the enormous overpopulation of domestic cats.

I am not trying to put you off, just making sure that you're prepared if you haven't had a cat before. I couldn't live without mine (one is curled up next to me purring as I type this) but my word they are a handful at times! :wacko:

I think if you are turned off getting a cat because of smells, grubiness, vomit, things being strewn through the house, lack of holidays because of commitment, destructiveness, surplus energy, long life span etc you shouldn't get a cat or have a baby.

I don't mean this in a horrible way but babies and children need more than a cat!

well im hoping to be able to train it not to go upstairs at all!! but will get it declawed i think. x

This is a real hot-button subject so I don't want to derail by commenting further, but will just point out that it's illegal in the UK so definitely not an option for you.

My cats are my best buddies and I love them to BITS - but I always give my friends dire warnings when they talk about maybe getting one ... litterboxes, smells, hair everywhere, litter getting tracked through the house, vomit, needing to find a catsitter for holidays, kittens can be REALLY destructive for the first few years, they have incredible energy, plus don't forget that cats can easily live for 20+ years so in some ways (ok not many, but still) it's a bigger commitment than having a baby!
Then there are also expenses like vaccinations, chipping, and of course neutering which is essential given the enormous overpopulation of domestic cats.

I am not trying to put you off, just making sure that you're prepared if you haven't had a cat before. I couldn't live without mine (one is curled up next to me purring as I type this) but my word they are a handful at times! :wacko:

I think if you are turned off getting a cat because of smells, grubiness, vomit, things being strewn through the house, lack of holidays because of commitment, destructiveness, surplus energy, long life span etc you shouldn't get a cat or have a baby.

I don't mean this in a horrible way but babies and children need more than a cat!

I totally agree -- but a lot of people don't realise how much hassle pets can be (though the OP mentioned that she has had cats most of her life) and don't always realise that these factors are involved in pet ownership - hence my mentioning them! The shelters are overflowing with unwanted pets so I always take my chance to mention the down sides of getting them.

Unless you were somehow trying to suggest that I shouldn't have a baby because I am aware that having cats is a big responsibility ... but surely not??? I'm afraid that I can't see why you wrote that except to snark.

declawed? isnt that animal abuse? dont they remove the whole nailpart of the cat? it isnt legal here. or do you with declawed means the nails normally cut?

Declawing ...... :growlmad: OP I am glad you understand Declawing is unnecesary :) .

The main thing is the litter box, poop that has been in there for over 24 hours is dangerous if it comes into contact with your skin, you can also catch the same thing from uncooked meats etc; but if you can have someone else change the litterbox, or use gloves. We have 3 cats and my Husband cleans out all of the litterboxes now, bless him.

Cats are like babies, rely on you for everything! and they make great companions especially when you have a bad day :)

Poster above: Declawing is Animal Cruelty and I am still sickened it isn't illegal in the USA.

I totally agree -- but a lot of people don't realise how much hassle pets can be (though the OP mentioned that she has had cats most of her life) and don't always realise that these factors are involved in pet ownership - hence my mentioning them! The shelters are overflowing with unwanted pets so I always take my chance to mention the down sides of getting them.

Unless you were somehow trying to suggest that I shouldn't have a baby because I am aware that having cats is a big responsibility ... but surely not??? I'm afraid that I can't see why you wrote that except to snark.

Please Adela, that was not a comment directed at you by any means!!!!!!! It was a general comment that if people can't handle the demands of a cat how will they handle the demands of a baby. It was a good idea to outline the responsibilities of having an animal as I do agree that some people don't realise what's involved. Sorry, I really didn't mean to upset anyone.

Sorry Nel - if I said I was pregnant and hormonal would that help? :p

I think I am a bit on edge tonight! I apologise :hugs:

I also think it would be a bad idea. If you don't have a cat, you may not have immunity for toxoplasmosis. If you get a kitten that is currently infected, it may be bad for your baby. You can follow the advise of not changing the litter box, etc, but still, the parasite can be spread around as the kitten lick itself.

It is different from people that already own a cat before getting pregnant. In this case, the cats may not have the parasite, or the person may have already develop immunity for it.

Other than the toxoplasmosis issue, I think taking care of a kitten takes lot of responsibility, as other people have mentioned. You may be able to dedicate time to your kitten right now, but when you have your baby, it will be more difficult.

Sometime also, you don't know what you are getting until you already have it. The little cute guy that is on my avatar is already 4 years old and is already fixed. Still, he frequently runs like crazy, chase my older cat, and cry at the middle of the night for attention. He is also very jealous of my older cat, specially when I give her (my other cat) attention. He once had a constant scratching problem. We took him to the vet several time, and at the end, they said that he may be just bored, and therefore, just depressed.

Cats really need lot of attention, otherwise may develop behavioral problem. I think it would be great, when the baby is older and can play together, but may be hard when your baby is just born, and you may have to wake up several time during the night to feed you baby.

Thank god declawing is ilegal in the UK! y u wud even consider it? Dont mean to sound harsh but mb its better to wait awhile before getting pets, when the baba arrives ull ave yr hands full. I want a dog, but im not guna get one cuz my lo needs to much attention.

declawing is abusive, think we all agree on that (most of us anyway),
a scratching pole is sufficient for them to keep their nails a good lenght,
cat's nails don't grow like ours, if you trim them and you have no idea what
you're doing you most likely will cut off parts of several layers of nails.
cat's nails grow layer over layer and they scratch on things so the top layer
would come off and then there's a new nail under it.

and yes, the first years are the worst active wise, they constantly want to play
and that's very cute when they're a little kitten (they get tired easily) but when
they're 6 months old they have stamina and are not tired yet after half an hour of running around and jumping and chasing things.

we've never had issues with our cat destroying furniture though, that really
is about setting boundaries and NOT tolerating a kitten to do what you wouldn't allow an adult cat to do,
however cute it might be if they're little... it really isn't cute when they're big.

i wouldn't really get a kitten when pregnant though, not bc of the risks etc
but bc of how needy they are, if you'll have a baby to look after and a
highly energetic kitten, it might get too much for you.
eta: i'm not saying this to preach but from experience and then thinking
"man, if we had a baby now... i don't see how i would have time to do all this"
maybe wait a few years and then let kitten and kiddo grow up together :)

if you do get a kitten now, except from the litter box etc, make sure to check
his ass before you pick it up, or when it comes from the litter box...
some are SOOO clumsy that there's bits of poo left that need wiping,
you don't want a surprise on your hands or clothes... or couch ;)

omg please dont get a kitten and then have it altered to suit your life ie declawing

if people are unable to take care of a cat without having it declawed, which is just wrong, then maybe better not having one

im not going to get it declawed ive already said that

ive grown up with cats just havent had any while pregnant and again ive already said i wont be getting declawed.

Thank god declawing is ilegal in the UK! y u wud even consider it? Dont mean to sound harsh but mb its better to wait awhile before getting pets, when the baba arrives ull ave yr hands full. I want a dog, but im not guna get one cuz my lo needs to much attention.

i wont be getting the kitten declawed regular clipping yes.m and i no how much attention children need as i have 3 already.

declawing is abusive, think we all agree on that (most of us anyway),
a scratching pole is sufficient for them to keep their nails a good lenght,
cat's nails don't grow like ours, if you trim them and you have no idea what
you're doing you most likely will cut off parts of several layers of nails.
cat's nails grow layer over layer and they scratch on things so the top layer
would come off and then there's a new nail under it.

and yes, the first years are the worst active wise, they constantly want to play
and that's very cute when they're a little kitten (they get tired easily) but when
they're 6 months old they have stamina and are not tired yet after half an hour of running around and jumping and chasing things.

we've never had issues with our cat destroying furniture though, that really
is about setting boundaries and NOT tolerating a kitten to do what you wouldn't allow an adult cat to do,
however cute it might be if they're little... it really isn't cute when they're big.

i wouldn't really get a kitten when pregnant though, not bc of the risks etc
but bc of how needy they are, if you'll have a baby to look after and a
highly energetic kitten, it might get too much for you.
eta: i'm not saying this to preach but from experience and then thinking
"man, if we had a baby now... i don't see how i would have time to do all this"
maybe wait a few years and then let kitten and kiddo grow up together :)

thanks for the advice but you do come across quiet patranising i no they are hard work as again ive grown up with cats and seeing as i have 3 children already im well aware how much attention they need.

on the subject of declawing another poster mentioned this and at first i wasnt aware of the full facts but as soon as another member said i said i wasnt gonna do this obviously so can everyone stop banging on about it. i love cats and wouldnt put them to any harm. all i wanted to no was what to avoid while pregnant so thanks to those who have adviced me. x

my reply was meant as a general reply to all who think about getting a kitten,
if you think well meant advice is patronizing you need a reality check
eta: sorry was a bit ticked off, nobody ever called me patronizing, i'm just not the type,
i'm just very passionate when it comes to cats and i love talking about them and their little habits.
fact is that when i reply to something, i reply to the question, i don't check the OP's status,
how many kids they have already, age,...anything.
if i had known you had 3 kids already, then i'd say go for it bc you have 3 extra set of hands to
keep that kitten busy and they will LOVE it

get them declawed keepout of babys room cuz sometim,es babies are allergic also stay away from the smell of the litter and DONT CHANGE IT let someone else

Sorry I just couldn't ignore this! Please please don't declawed ur cat it's cruel in-nessesary and putting them through pain that isn't needed!!!!

I'm a vet nurse and strongly would advise AGAINST this!!!!

I have two cats and as long as u get them a scratching post they will claw that!!! Plus the scent glands are in the paws that's the only reason they claw just keep nails trim.

On the allergy front I think it's less likely baby would get an allery if been in a vat household from birth, it's more likely if u were to introduce an animal at a layer stage.

The only thing u need to be careful of is toxoplasmosis which can be in cat faeces and soil outside so if u can get someone else to clean the tray then do so else just wear gloves and wash hands. If you have always had cats u may even be immune to it!

Enjoy your kitty they are so much fun!!!

omg I cant even believe declawing was mentioned

Sorry but how would you feel if you had to have a part of your body removed cos it was an inconvience to someone else.

Having pets are good for children, I think that is something we can all agree on

I think declawing is cruel because they don't know whats happened and fall off things and stuff. I got a scratching pad for them and they use it and stay away from my furniture and surfaces. If they don't I have a water pistol by me (one of those kiddies ones) and shoot water at them. They soon get the picture and stay down. Also hubby is cleaning the litter and litter box out, so no probs with that. Even so I still keep everything clean, specially the kitchen just in case they get up to mischief when I'm gone. I'm thinking or getting one of those moskito nets for the cradle when baby arrives but I doubt they'll be interested because a couple of friends have been over with their babies and the cats take one sniff and run off like they stink, haha!!!

i was told when i was pregnant, that kittens and cats can treat a new born baby like their own and can sit on them & suffocate them? i'm not sure tho its just what i heard x x

Yes, NEVER leave a cat alone with a baby.
Get a cat net/mosquito net for the cot.

Cats aren't a problem if you know how to handle them, if you are worried about them scratching things then lock the cats out of those rooms.

I don't like how some people on here have bought cats without even thinking about the consequences, eg scratching furniture, litter trays, noise and vomit. I feel sorry for the kittens people buy if they are just going to get rid of them within a few months, poor kitties.

Also the thing about cats suffocating babies is a myth and declawing is cruel >_<

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->