MIL issues

PeanutBean

Mumma to B & I
Reaction score
Hi all, I wonder if I could ask you advice? We're going to a B&B for two nights next week. It's our only holiday and the last on our own before baby is born. I can't manage camping and this is much hotel as we can afford so it's kind of special.

We've just found out that my MIL and her family are camping at the same place for 4 nights including our two. She doesn't know we've booked to go away then and DH didn't tell her on the phone.

If she were a normal woman we'd just say look we're going to be there then too but we don't want to meet up as it's our last time away together, alone, probably ever. A normal woman would understand. But she's not normal and we know she will fall out with us. She will fall out if she sees us there and we hadn't told her we were going; she will fall out if we tell her we'll be there but don't want to meet up. DH suggested maybe we should tell her and meet as soon as we get there but I'm just not prepared to compromise. It will mean I will have to drive us over to their campsite (as she won't make the effort to meet us) and it will occupy the whole evening (after having driven for 3 hours to get there). We only have one full day and that evening together anyway.

What would you guys do in this situation?

Have you paid a deposit?
I would cancel and go somewhere else.
Or tell her, because like you say, she wont make the effort to come to you, but dont go to her, tell her your back is sore and you dont want to drive, or you have a headache.
Or you could take your chances and try to avoid her, it would be fun if you think about it, if you see her, try to hide, lol.

Have you paid a deposit?
Or tell her, because like you say, she wont make the effort to come to you, but dont go to her, tell her your back is sore and you dont want to drive, or you have a headache.
Or you could take your chances and try to avoid her, it would be fun if you think about it, if you see her, try to hide, lol.

We've paid a deposit, essentially one night's worth. She just won't understand if I say I won't drive - this is the woman who ate Christmas dinner without us after making us come to them because we couldn't get there before 3pm, even though we told her that and I had to drive an hour to get there.

We thought about the hiding, maybe we'd get lucky and she wouldn't come into the town the day that we'll be there but our chances are slim and I dread to think what would happen if she bumped into us!

To make matters worse, she said she'll get us the pram but if she falls out with us she probably won't! We're thinking of getting her to order it now then telling her we're not meeting her a few days later! :muaha:

Thanks for your reply!

Hide!
It'll give you a great excuse to park the car behind a bush and snuggle into your room with OH. I suppose you'll have to come out for meals, though, won't you? and you might want to go for a walk...
If caught, feign total surprise:
"Oh, THAT campsite?!! I thought you meant the blah blah blah other campsite. Ooops! Baby brain!"
Or, if you are sure she won't make the effort to go see you, go ahead and plan to meet up with her, then claim preggy-illness and cancel with deep regrets. That way, you've shown you were more than willing and she can't fault you for "illness". ;)
Is the campsite right on top of your BnB? Is it feasible to just go and avoid her?

Have you paid a deposit?

We've paid a deposit, essentially one night's worth. She just won't understand if I say I won't drive - this is the woman who ate Christmas dinner without us after making us come to them because we couldn't get there before 3pm, even though we told her that and I had to drive an hour to get there.

We thought about the hiding, maybe we'd get lucky and she wouldn't come into the town the day that we'll be there but our chances are slim and I dread to think what would happen if she bumped into us!

To make matters worse, she said she'll get us the pram but if she falls out with us she probably won't! We're thinking of getting her to order it now then telling her we're not meeting her a few days later! :muaha:

Thanks for your reply!

Sound like a lovley woman....not, lol.
I dont know what else to suggest, but sarahkka's idea seems like a good one, if you do happen to bump into her, act shocked, like you wasent expecting her to be there at all.

Good luck, and really hope you get your peaceful weekend, you'll have to let us know how it goes.

Thanks both! Little update - My DH just got home and said if I was worrying this much (and he really doesn't want to see her either) we should ring and change it. So we checked and are lucky as they have availability the second week so we've changed it. Hooray!! Almost all the B&Bs were booked up so I had been feeling pretty negative about the chances of changing it.

Anyway, now we can stroll around in the rain in bold comfort! :happydance:

LMAO, well im glad you have sorted it, enjoy your weekend. Rain of shine, you will enjoy it.

Glad that's sorted. :D
It would have totally ruined your little break if you did see her.
I hope you have a nice relaxing holiday peanut, 8)

Glad you have managed to change it !!

Hope you have a wonderful couple of days x

Thanks everyone, a bit longer to wait for our holiday but at least we can do so in peace!

Wooohooo hope you have a lovely break. I have suggested a b&b to my OH but he wants to go camping again! Ive said yes but not past 28 weeks and only if he blows up my airbed :)

Wooohooo hope you have a lovely break. I have suggested a b&b to my OH but he wants to go camping again! Ive said yes but not past 28 weeks and only if he blows up my airbed :)

I wish we could go camping. We went when I was about 12 or 13 weeks and it was a nightmare. I was in so much pain from sleeping on the airbed I could hardly move (and I have to do all the driving) and we were kept awake two nights by storms and drunken scouse girls so we left a day early. I love camping but it kills me at the moment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->