Milk - how much?

Emmea12uk

The Folic acid police!
Reaction score
Tom starts screaming after just four ounces and I cannot get any more than that down. he only has four bottles a day as he sleeps through - so is only having 16 oz!

after four oz he screams and screams until i hug him to sleep. I dont get it? I just bought stage 3 milk to help boost his iron levels as he isnt getting enough. But surely it is far too early?? But every week he is drinking less and less milk. His food intake isnt going up though?? He is only just on three meals and they are tiny!

That's not enough milk by a mile, I'm pretty sure he should be up to 30oz atleast, although I have no suggestion on how to give him more, have you tried going back to stage 1 maybe?

I would agree with Toria 16 oz isnt enough for the lil guy , max is 7 months and is still taking at least 22 oz per day ..I would suggest maybe going back to stage 1 milk ..dont they have some with extra iron ..I know I gave stage 2 once but went Back to stage 1 soon enough as his tummy hated the other one ..

With 3 meals a day the minimum should be 20-21 oz (500-600ml) a day until they are 8 months (and I think that's when they're on full meals too).

Can you try making his feeds slightly closer together during the day so he's still only having 4oz at a time but one more bottle? Or mix some in with his breakfast/other meals so that he's getting a bit more.

Might be worth trying a different formula if he's still unhappy having much of it though? x

Ruby did the same when she was cutting her teeth. Hope he starts taking more milk again soon xx

he is on stage one - i bought the stage three out of desperation to give him more vitimins but he hasnt started it yet. I do mix it in with his food as well, but with his SB he needs a higher volume of liquids than a normal baby on top of everything else!

He has been on this milk since birth - i tried to change him but everything else made him constipated...

Oh hun sorry then I misunderstood :) I would suggest doing what the other ladies said try feeding him closer together this way he gets a lil more then what hes taking ATM .. have you spoken to his dr about him taking little milk ?

i took him to see his neuro consultant today to see if that was anything to do with it (he was also having other symptoms). They did a CT scan and everything there seems fine. today he has drank everything i have given him wihtout too much fuss, but he did soooo much poop the last night and today that i am thinking he may have been majorly constipated - but surely that cant be it as he has been getting worse everyday for weeks???

Maybe today is just a fluke.

I cant up the frequency of his feeds because he just wont take them if he isnt hungry. He is a total nightmare! He just wont open his mouth and will scream at you if you try and force it (not that I tried - my oh did!)

Hopefully he'll start having more if he's been a bit better today...just feeling a bit unwell can seriously put them off drinking too much. I'd start hiding formula in his meals! x

it's good that you got someone to check him out! Hope that he continues to drink more and that as Hayley said it's just because of his teeth maybe. Maybe our babies should swap appetites for the day, how does a baby who wolfs down 2 meals and 50oz + sound?!

Caitlin was terrible she never got near the minimum most times not without a struggle! We found out she had reflux too long down the road? Is he ever really sicky? Gasy even?

To this day she is fussy and to this day shes on about 16oz and thats max now! It was great when I could boost her with yoggys etc

Maybe try dropping a bottle in hope he takes more on the others?

Whats his feed routine like rough times and what he has :D

This is just a thought, but has he ever had an ear infection? Might be worth looking into. When Noah would stop taking enough fluid, I would take him to the doctor and it was an ear infection, after a few days of antibiotics he was back to normal. Also like Wobbles said, about reflux, Noah has this also and sometimes he will refuse to eat. Noah had major issues with his formula and his reflux etc, Ended up putting him on Soy formula and he has been so much happier. He takes 6 oz every 3 hours during the day.He currently is off his food atm because of some issues. Might want to take him of the food for now intil he get's his fluid intake up.

Thanks girls. He drank all his milk again this morning! woop!!

I took him off food for two weeks before and he did not increase his milk at all!

He isnt a sicky baby either - but the reaction is almost like the milk makes him uncomfortable.

His routine is

08:00 7oz bottle - usually leaves 3-2oz
09:00 - creamy cereal

12:00 6 oz bottle - usually leaves 3-2oz
13:00 greek yogert with a prune/dried fruit concoction & pear/apple
14:00 juice - which he isnt entertaining right now

16:00 6oz bottle usually leaves 3-2oz
17:00 dinner (meat & vege & a carb with a fruity desert)

19:30 6oz bottle - he hardly even has an oz of this and i try mixing it with rice or something and still nadda - he just has a paddy and refuses his meds too.

What he does is he started faffing after just a few oz, bashing it with his hands, then turning his head, then blowing raspberries into the bottle whilst bashing, then goes rigid straight and starts making grunty noises, before screaming whenever you put it near his mouth, then he goes to sleep.

Once or twice re-warming it has helped and even bonjela has helped, but 9/10, nothing seems to work!

Could it be that 12 hours isnt enough sleep at night and the milk makes him tired?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
confettiblue
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->