Milk Production Decreased (BIG TIME)

Krys89Davis

Mother of 2
Reaction score
Hi all, I have been pumping since I returned to work on 4/9/15. LO is 5 mos. Starting out i would get about 10-13oz/day. Now I'm lucky if I get 5. I am pumping about every 3-4 hrs. HELP! I have no clue what to do. I want to continue nursing but I'm afraid I cant...

I just wanted to clarify, those amounts are both sides over a 9.5 hour period...today I have pumped 4 times and have just over 4oz...I also feed her at the breast when I'm home. She feeds twice overnight the last one being about 6:30-7:00 am and 2-3 times in the evening before bed.

I hope someone has some insight on this for you because I'd like to know what can be done (if anything) in this situation as well, as I plan on nursing once my LO is born.

Have you tried taking mothers tea or fenugreek to help your supply along?? If not try that. Make she you're drinking plenty of fluid and that you are giving yourself ample time to let down. Some women let down slower without baby around. So try bringing something of your little ones to work to smell or put on your chest( as weird as it may sound) with a picture. A video would even work.

Those few things may give you the results you want! Hope that helps.

for many (if not most) women pumping does not empty your breasts as effectively as your baby. you may need to pump more often than your baby would feed to remove the same volume of milk.

Other than that, I dont have much advice. My body has never responded well to a pump, and even when feeling 'full' I can't pump much more than an ounce.

Make sure you are using the correct size flanges and that the membranes on the pump are not worn out. Eat oatmeal or make some lactation cookies (lots of recipes online) and try fenugreek or blessed thistle to boost supply. You can also try breast compressions while you pump. Kellymom has a lot of info.: https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/pumping_decrease/

Good luck!

Correctly sized flanges, good membranes, and a good quality pump are essential. What kind of pump are you using? How long are you pumping each time? Are you getting let down each time? can you try for a second let down?

Look up power pumping. I had to do that with DD. And keep pumping for a few minutes after you see the last drops of milk. GL!

Try Gatorade!!!!! I've been drinking 2 20oz a day and it's like a miracle! took two days to work but it took me from pumping 1.5-2oz (per day...I only pump once) to 9oz a day.

Wow Gatorade is a new one to me! I love it too so going to make sure I have it at home after baby comes. Also going to get some of that Fenugreek stuff. I personally won't be pumping until a few weeks after birth, shortly before returning to work, as to give baby and myself time to get used to nursing... hopefully. I def think keeping myself hydrated and eating well will be something I need to stick with to help be successful at breastfeeding. I'm sure my OH will assist in that :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->