MIRENA ACNE - positive stories post 6 months??

crazyfrog

Mum of 1
Reaction score
I have had the mirena coil for 6 months. I am generally really pleased with it. For years i had side effects on various combined pills so have been really happy with mirena so far. My periods only last 2 days, are virtually painless. I've no weight gain. HOWEVER, i have terrible acne with it.

The first 4 months or so were not too bad. My skin wasn't amazing but not bad enough to warrant a problem. My skin is now hideous however. They always say to allow 6 months for any contraceptive especially long acting ones such as this, so i have done but decided enough was enough as the acne is really getting me down and making me very self conscious. I went to the FPC a couple of weeks ago to explain and they gave me a pill called Brevinor which is supposed to be skin friendly. I was instructed to take it for 7 days before having mirena removed so i don't risk pregnancy.

I went last night to have the coil taken out and they have talked me into keeping it in! The Dr last night basically said something completely different to the previous one. She suggested taking the Brevinor for 6 weeks at least (although preferably 3 months) letting it clear my skin up (hopefully) by which time my coil would have been in 9 months and the idea being that if i stop the brevinor then, the coil will have settled much more and hopefully i'll be acne free. Sounds like a good idea in theory, however the last Dr said that 6 months is a reasonable time to try mirena and that overlapping the pill and mirena only for that 1 week could make my acne worse as they'll be more progesterone in my system! The Dr last night dismissed this and said the progesterone in the mirena is "Just a drop in the ocean". I'm so confused now and don't know who to trust. I am otherwise happy wth it and don't want it needlessly removed but at the same time don't want to struggle on being miserable unnecessarily. Life is challenging enough with an 8 month old without fighting my face daily. The spots hurt they're so bad.

Anyone got any success stories with mirena? Especially form a skin point of view? I'm debating going to see my GP but worried this will confuse me even more. I'm a bit cross today about how they pressured me last night into keeping it when my mind was made up. :dohh::dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->