Mirena coil

craftymum

Mum to Jacob and Jenna
Reaction score
I have an appointment to have a mirena fitted in 2 weeks and I'm now terrified. My GP never told me any side effects and on searching google I have found lots, weight gain, depression, facial hair the list goes on and now I don't know if I should just cancel it. My reason for getting it done was for heavy periods.
I have a tendancy to get depressed so I'm worried that taking something that may cause it could make this worse. So confused now!
Anyone have any experience with this?

The list of side effects of any medication is always scary. Weight gain is something you can get with any hormonal method of contraception and is likely to be minimal if at all. Facial hair is very unlikely.

The depression is perhaps something you should discuss further if only to put your mind at rest. Can you talk to your GP again, or you might feel more comfortable talking to a family planning nurse?

Mirena is a good reliable method of contraception and very helpful in women with heavy periods. Be aware though, that you may get some irregular bleeding to start with, and you'll need to bear with it until it settles down.

My GP is rubbish to be honest, she never really explained anything much about it. My appointment is actually with a gynaecologist consultant so I'm not too sure if they would be willing to answer questions on the day as I feel it'll be a bit like a conveyor belt as the clinic is only ran once weekly.

Don't worry. No doctor will insert a coil without you signing a consent form, so unless you already did, the consultant will *have* to go through the potential complications and side effects with you before the insertion. They certainly can't object to you asking!

Alternatively, if you think you're going to feel awkward, it would be a good idea to call your GP or FP nurse at the surgery beforehand. Information on the internet is of varied quality and I wouldn't trust all of the stuff that you've read.

It's actually at the hospital but I think I will ask about it beforehand, at the end of the day if I do get it in and decide it's not for me, I guess I can always have it removed again.
Thank you :)

I'm having mine removed next week. I've had a horrible year with it in. I'm getting the copper only one put back in at the same time. PM me if you need to know more, honey.

XXX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->