Missed miscarriage - question about flying

eva1978

Reaction score
Hi, it's been a while since I've posted here. I have a tricky situation :(

I went in for a dating scan yesterday at 9w2d (this would have been my third baby) and the u/s showed no heartbeat, baby's size indicated it was only about 7w2d. I had a scan at 7w1d and all looked good :( Anyway, one of my issues now is that I have an important trip planed in two days. It requires an overseas flight - more than 12 hrs, to a country where I probably don't have full medical coverage.

I was hoping to have a D&C done today so I'd be good to go on the plane, but reality hit me when the doctor explained why this is really not a good idea (complications popping up after, blood clots, etc.). Also, they couldn't guarantee I'd get an appointment. So I'm opting to see if I miscarry naturally (so far, no cramps, no bleeding). However, I'm nervous about this overseas trip... I know the embryo is only 7.5 weeks old, but there is still a chance that I'll bleed too much, and on the airplane there will be no way to get help, especially over the ocean. I've had one early miscarriage before at 5 weeks, and things were pretty smooth (as smooth as they can be - and I was at home).

Does anyone have any advice? This is a very important business trip... though of course my health is also (more) important. :wacko:

Thank you for listening!

I don't have any advice or experience but I wanted to say that I'm sorry for your loss.

Is there any way you could postpone the trip a week? X

So so so sorry for your loss.

I lost 1 of my babies at 7.5 weeks naturally. It wasn't a nice experience but all depends on your pain threshold. Mine's pretty high, so I managed to make dinner during the worst part of my miscarriage. I had to squat a little to help with things, so not sure how that will work on a plane? I didn't take any painkillers as didn't need them.

There was significant bleeding though, and I heavy periods but this on another scale. I know everyone's experiences are different. If it was me, as long as I knew I could get to the toilet easily on the flight and I had more that enough pads etc, I'd still go. In some respects it was just like a really bad period but over quicker than that.

Hope that helps you somewhat? xx

Thank you for the responses :)
I can't postpone the trip, the meeting is taking place next week, so it's either we go or we don't.
My husband just pointed out that there may be a significant period of turbulence on the plane... sometimes they have the seatbelt sign on for 1-2 hours, when you aren't supposed to use the bathroom :nope: oh dear... :(

I'm sorry for your loss, Aleeah.

I wanted to say good luck. I have this fear because I'm going on a flight (though not a long one), but then a week long cruise, when I'll be 9 weeks. So far all seems ok with this pregnancy, but since I've had a mc before, I've been nervous. My plan right now is to pack loads of pads. My mc was around 6 weeks and was like an extended heavy period, but I don't know what it's like further along. Really sorry for your loss.

When I was dealing with my MMC I chose not to fly and am happy with that choice. I was 8 weeks and I needed to be near a bathroom and needed to walk around. It started slow but over 6 hours I had a lot of clots and cramping. I spent about 40 minutes just sitting on the toilet as it let me really relax my uterus and vaginal muscles and I had to change a number of pads.

Unfortunately I ended up with retained tissue so the bleeding stopped for a day or two and would then come back. After three days post MC I began to have contractions that felt like mid-labor pains. I had to have a hysteroscope after a couple of weeks followed by a d&c. Then of course, two more weeks of bleeding.

It was nothing like my 5 weeks MC which was physically easy. (Emotionally, not so much.)

Eva what an awful situation hun xxx you can't even focus on ur loss because ur stressing about work. Sending u big hugs & I'm sorry for ur loss.
What I wanted to say though was that I had a missed mc about 6 years ago at what would have been 9 weeks. Baby stopped growing at about 7 weeks I started bleeding at 9 weeks very light spotting on the Friday, I had no idea what to expect, bleeding was very light over weekend & I passed two blood clots Sunday night about 11ish. I thought that was it so went to work next day and had mc at work & contractions started up as well to empty womb. Was a tough experience at the time. My point is though it took a while to get going bleeding started Friday and actual mc was monday so you might get a bit of warning. I had only normal sanitary pads with me at work but I needed the full on maternity after birth pads and then it would have been a bit more manageable. I think if you really have to go then take some strong pain killers and pack a few packs of maternity after birth pads for the worst days if it starts up. I would also have the pads ready on the plane with you and if you are bleeding and start bleeding heavy put 2 or 3 in your knickers on top of each other and that way if you can't get to the toilet the pads should soak it up. Sorry if this alarms you but it's preparing for worst case scenario! I also wanted to say I actually had another mc last summer at 9.5 weeks and it was much gentler and a lot less blood and pain and it all happened very gently over 10 days -- so I think all mcs can be different hun xxx I hope this helps xx good luck and let us know how you get on xx

When I had a MMC I did fly, I had a holiday to Tenerife booked and I obviously wasn't up for not going after spending the money. I was bleeding just before I went and I was understandably nervous going there. The bleeding lasted 4 weeks, it was steady but obviously no one knows what to expect.

I think, in your shoes, I would probably go. Maybe it isn't the best advice, but it's what I'd do. Take some heavy towels- maternity pads. (don't use regular sanitary towels for a mc) Make the most of the time where there's no turbulence. Also if you are sitting down most of this time it will help. The EPU told me that exercise speeds things up, so make of that as you will. Who knows- you might be fine and not bleed at all but just be on that safe side. Take painkillers, just in case.

I am so sorry for your loss and I hope things go straightforward for you xxxx

Hi, so sorry you are going through this! I had a mc at 8 weeks, 10 years ago now but still remember it clear as day. Once it started I was dosed up on cocodomol between bed and the bathroom and in Alot of pain for over 24 hours whilst the worst hit. The cocodomol helped me sleep Alot but I still remember how awful it was! xx

Thank you very much for all of your stories. It helps me to hear how you made it through these very tough experiences. I really appreciate this!

In the end my husband and I have decided to cancel the trip. My boss also agrees it is a bad idea to travel. I think I forgot to mention in the OP that the doctors advised that I do not travel :-/ ... so if anything *bad* were to happen at any point, we could end up with an extremely large medical bill (or worse).

Still no change in my condition. I'm waiting it out for another 6 days, then I have an appointment at the hospital (at which point it will be over 3 weeks since the embryo stopped growing - they can give me the pills to try and speed things up).

Thanks again for all the support xo

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->