Mixed emotions about 1 year

ittybittycoy

Mommy to 3 Girls
Reaction score
So today our baby girl turns 1, this also means we made it to our 1 year breastfeeding milestone! Yay! However, while this makes me ecstatic, I can't help but feel a little bummed out as well, due to the fact, I am some what being forced to wean due to hour changes at work, and starting night class in less than 2 weeks.

Unfortunately, with all this change I will have much less time, if any available for pumping and/or nursing :cry:, and I know this means my supply is going to take a huge hit... more so than it already has. This concerns me because she will not drink anything else, nothing! In turn I have become overly worried about dehydration and the amount of calories she is getting throughout the day.

I know in my heart she is not ready to wean, and I feel like she is frustrated with this, but I don't know what else to do. Do any of you ladies have any suggestions as to how to successfully wean her? As much as I would love to continue breastfeeding, I honestly don't feel as it possible anymore.

TIA!

I think you could still nurse her, she'll get used to the different routine and will have to start drinking other things.it might be the type of cup rather than the liquid in it that's the problem?
Xx

Thank you, I am hoping I can still nurse, but I am going to be gone a minimum of 9 hours a day, without a chance to pump. So I think it is a matter of time before my supply disappears.

As for the other fluids, we have been trying them in the bottle we have been using all along. This may be causing confusion for her, but with sippy cup, she doesn't understand to tip it up... I know this will come in time, but I don't know what to do until then.

At this age my ds only really fed am and pm. I started 9hr shifts but the problem with us was that I didn't have regular hours, mixed late and early meant I didn't see him for over 24hrs.
Why can't you express? Xx

I work in a daycare environment, and we have ratios we have to abide by, therefore it is very difficult to pump because there is not always someone available to cover my position. As for school, I am only allowed to miss 15 minutes of a 4 hour class, so that is not feasible either.

I noticed though, you said your son only nursed am and pm at this stage, my DD seems to still want to nurse a lot, like all day. Maybe this is because she doesn't take any other liquids, or maybe she is nursing for comfort, but it definitely seems like she still nurses a ton.

Such a shame you can't get the time, I'm sure there are laws about being allowed time to express.
Xx

i went back to work when my youngest was 14 1/2 months, but started to prepare for it with her settling in at a childminder from 12 1/2 months. she fed a lot through the day & i thought she'd never manage without it. however, she just adapted & fed more when i was around. my supply didn't seem to suffer in spite of me being away from her for 13 hours, 3 consecutive days each week.

she's 2 now & still breastfeeding. i've never pumped at work & not needed to. breasts are amazing things!

xx

In a couple of weeks when my daughter turns 1, I'm going to stop pumping at work, so I'll be going 8-9 hours without feeding her. After a few conversations with my mom, who had to do the same thing much earlier on, I'm not worrying about my supply. Apparently your body adjusts just like when baby starts sleeping through the night.

I'm planning to give her other liquids during the day, and then nurse before and after work and in the evening. As for taking liquids while you're away, have you tried putting some of your milk in a sippy cup or bottle? I tried that with my daughter at first, and I also kept offering water. Eventually, she figured out how the cup worked... It just took her some time and experimenting.

With my dd i thought i'd have to cut her down at age one to just feeding over night due to work (it was hard going sopping daytime feeds).

With my son I've just let him feed when i'm with him and if im at work he cant feed from me and he is fine with it! So on a mon-Wed he doesnt feed from me from 7am til 5.30pm and the rest of the time he can have mummy milk whenever he wants. My supply has adapted fine.

Hope you work things out.

Your supply will marry up with your feeding schedule. If you only have chance to nurse morning and evening the your milk will regulate to this :)

I'd suggest offering a sippy cup many times a day and try not to nurse unless she asks (at times when you'd be working). Does she have a way to ask verbally or communicate with you otherwise? I'm no expert though, it's just my thought.

My LO started using a sippy cup a few months ago (not fast flow, but no valve to stop it either) and after a few weeks he understood to hold it properly and tip it up. It's often upside down, but he gets the water out. I'm just starting to offer cow's milk now so he can have some when others babysit him or if I start a job, but I plan to keep nursing. He outright refused bottles so I quit trying long ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->