mixed feeding issues.

Chieri

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with feeding in general. Alec was born at 37 weeks and now 38 weeks old. I did and still plan to give breast but because my milk wasn't comin out we had to give him formula. They started off saying 15ml the next day it was 30 and two days later 60ml. Its confusing how much in meant to be feeding him.

I have been expressing my milk, but it only started coming through yesterday so even when I try bf him before anything else due to the milk not flowing straight away he's getting tired and falling asleep.

I now have to use a 1ml syringe to feed 60ml. When we tried bottle it took 1h 40minutes for him to have 25ml. We do have bigger syringes but they're really stiff and squirt the milk in his mouth making him spit it out.

Can anyone help? Feeding has become so stressful.

Congratulations on your baby.

My first suggestion would be to repost this in the breastfeeding section as you say your long term plan is to breast feed.

Is baby latching on at all?

I've had 2 babies that didn't latch to begin with, (DD was just being difficult and DS was poorly). I would offer the breast first, then give them any expressed milk from the last cycle, then give formula until full, then express. I did this every 4 hours. Once they were gaining weight I'd start dropping top-ups, dropping formula first. I would drop one top up at a time. As baby dropped more top ups breastfeeds got more frequent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->