Mixed reactions to boy name...

Cewsbaby

Mom of 2 boys! Hoping for a 3rd
Reaction score
So we "think" we are having another little boy due to an earlier scan and are over the moon about it and will find out for sure on Tuesday. We have a name picked out that I came up with because of where my DH grew up and his dad who passed suddenly in 2008. Remington David (Remy for short) is the name I picked and DH absolutely loves it and honestly so do I. My mom and dad are another story though. We are from the south so I really figured at least my dad would be on board with it since he is an avid hunter and gun collector but nope. Its not like they are negative about it to me but I know they don't like it because they have told my sister (who does like it) that they just weren't sure on the name and mom said it would always remind her of the guy from House of Cards (never watched it) that she hated.

Is the name really that out there? I thought it would be a strong name for a little boy and grown man. Granted our DS #1 is Bryce which is more traditional I guess but I was a little take aback by the responses. His family absolutely love the name. Remington guns are made where he grew up and his dad was David.

I just don't know what to think. The reactions are starting to make me second guess my name...

I think it's a lovely name. And I agree it's a strong name for a boy and man.

Fwiw- my mom and sister dislike our first choice of Samuel. Which is a very traditional name. But it's like I said it's my baby and my choice.

Forget them. It’s your son not theirs, they had their time when they names their kids.

My mother didn’t like Dante’s name at first but she is used to it now.

Agree with above poster, I never share my chosen baby name with anyone until bub is born, people will always say things before the baby is born but after once the baby is named they tend to keep any negative opinions to themselves. This is your baby and your choice, if you and hubby love it then that's all that matters. For the record I think it's cool, and I watch House of Cards and that doesn't put me off in the least!!

I love Remy from house of cards! And also love the name.

Honestly don't worry about it, his name is your business and they won't say anything about it once he is born.
People are quick to share their opinions on names before the baby arrives but won't say anything about it when they are born!

I love it. I know a Remi (adult male) and it totally works as a name from a baby right through the ages, and its lovely that it means something to you and can honour his dad.

I love it!
Some family members hate the names I've chosen as well. I tell them you named your babies and now it's my turn.
I'm not sure why people think they have the right to say anything? Pretty sure they're not carrying these babies!

I like it. And 100% what take2 said - I'm not telling people my name ideas (haven't settled on one yet) because they think you're asking for their opinions when they're the ones who asked if you had a name...! But no one would say they didn't like a name you'd already named your baby once it's born. I had people tell me they didn't like my son's name so I stopped telling people and whenever they asked I said "don't know yet" (totally did!) Now this time round when people ask I just say I don't know and change the subject.
If I were you, I'd tell your parents you're undecided on the name, and then just come out with it when baby comes!

Bryce and Remy sound good together.

Thanks ladies! It does make me feel better that you guys actually think its not an odd name to go with! I am definitely going with the name if it does turn out to be a boy.

As for my parents getting to name us... they didn't but thats only because me and my 2 siblings are adopted but they just prefer the more traditional names. But, yes, grandparents really should be supportive in the names even if they don't care for them. I know that once I have the baby the name won't matter to them one bit.

I think it's a lovely name and Byrce and Remy go really well together. Your baby, your decision. Once baby's here, they won't see him as any other name other than his own. I'd stick with the name you and your husband love.

Take no notice of what others think. People are so annoying. When we first told/tell people our second born is called Niko we got/get some not very nice responses and I find it so rude. We don't tell adults or older children we don't like their name when we meet them so I dont know why people think it's acceptable to do it with babies!

I'm hearing Remington come up a LOT though have yet to meet one. I love it and the nickname Remy is super cute!

Honestly, who cares what your Mum and Dad think. People are always going to have an opinion. My mother HATES my first son's name (Christopher), my second son's middle name (Elwynne who was her father) and my third son's middle name (Gabriel because it's a 'girls' name). This baby will be Sebastian and yep, she hates that too but she's also said that it is our choice and she's not going to tell us what we should name our children. People who are NOT the biological parents have no say in what we as parents choose to call our children so I would politely tell your parents that their opinion does not matter and will not convince you to change it. If both names have a special meaning to you and your husband and you both love it, keep it. You will only regret it later if you change it to suit family.

I'm hearing Remington come up a LOT though have yet to meet one. I love it and the nickname Remy is super cute!

Honestly, who cares what your Mum and Dad think. People are always going to have an opinion. My mother HATES my first son's name (Christopher), my second son's middle name (Elwynne who was her father) and my third son's middle name (Gabriel because it's a 'girls' name). This baby will be Sebastian and yep, she hates that too but she's also said that it is our choice and she's not going to tell us what we should name our children. People who are NOT the biological parents have no say in what we as parents choose to call our children so I would politely tell your parents that their opinion does not matter and will not convince you to change it. If both names have a special meaning to you and your husband and you both love it, keep it. You will only regret it later if you change it to suit family.

I like the name Sebastian as its my nephews name! It did take me a minute to get used to it because all I could think of was the little mermaid but it fits him to a T! My SIL calls him Bash and he is a very rough and tumble little boy!

I agree if they don't like it they don't like it, but it shouldn't matter to you. If that's the name you both love then that's all that matters. Funny enough I have a little girl on the way who we are naming Remi and it's put off a few people but we don't care because we like it! Who knows they may end up liking it or warm up to it once baby is here!

Just dropping in to say I LOVE the name Remington David. Remington guns are very popular where I'm from, and I don't think it's odd at all.

I love the name! I can't say more than what the other ladies have already said - this is why we are keeping our names to ourselves (once we land on them)! I know myself and have had an internal reaction to some names before, just b/c it was usually a unique name that didn't quite roll off the tongue, but it was none of my business so I didn't give my opinion! Or would just say something like 'oh, that's unique!' with a supportive tone. And the one I'm thinking of completely fits his name now anyway!

I like the name Sebastian as its my nephews name! It did take me a minute to get used to it because all I could think of was the little mermaid but it fits him to a T! My SIL calls him Bash and he is a very rough and tumble little boy!

It's so cute! Hubby picked it because I'm honestly out of ideas with boy #4. :haha: But all I can think of is the lobster too - but hey, he is cute too. :thumbup:

Your little nephews nickname is very appropriate then isn't it? :) I can't imagine shortening any of the kids names to Chris or Alex/Zander so I can't imagine shortening Sebastian either. I think it's a waste to pick such a formal name only to shorten it in every day life but that's just me. :)

Ive been there with both my first child and this pregnancy. My dads not liked either and my sisters were not keen on my daughters name. We are Calling this baby Freddie and ive felt the older generation don't understand it's back in fashion where as the younger ones do and like it. It does upset you but try and just enjoy whatever you decide and they will lesrn to accept his name. You cant please everyone and your parents and mine would not of liked insults towards their children's names so its not fair to do it to us. They had their days of naming their own children so its tough :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->