MMC - baby took over 10 weeks to leave

mad4babies

Reaction score
Hi. I wanted to share my story about natural management of a missed miscarriage.

I have just hopefully completed my 2nd missed miscarriage. We saw the baby's heartbeat at 7+3 and had a scan at 9+5 where unfortunately there was no heartbeat. The baby had only made it to 7+4. I chose natural management and went home to wait for the inevitable. When I would have been exactly 12 weeks I had an overwhelming pressure, ran to the toilet, there was an enormous force and lots of lumps and blood came out. I have never experienced anything like this. Because the bleeding turned to spotting and then stopped within a week I assumed that this was my miscarriage. I did think that there was more to clear out but hoped that a period would sort that. (My first missed miscarriage left at 13 weeks (baby died at 6 weeks), I had a light period at 18 weeks but at 21 weeks I bled for 3 weeks solid and lost huge clots).

2 nights ago I would have been 17+5 weeks and I went into labour complete with the contractions and back pain. This lasted 4 hours and I finally passed the baby complete in sac with cord attatched.

I have chosen to do this naturally and I haven't been back to the doctor since being told my baby had died but I wanted people to be aware that the baby can take a long time to decide to leave. I carried our baby longer while he was dead than when he was alive. I wouldn't change anything because I have finally managed to have my natural labour that I wanted and to be able to say goodbye andgrieve at home in private. I'm glad though that I thought that this miscarriage ended nearly 6 weeks ago because the waiting is very stressful so at least I was spared that.

**UPDATE**

Just to update you that today I went to A & E and had a large clot 'sucked out' with no pain relief! I feel that I have given in but spent last night bleeding extremely heavily and the clots were getting larger. I was filling 3 pads at least an hour. I couldn't take anymore and went for a scan. Baby had gone but lots of blood was still there. I feel such a failure for giving in and getting this procedure done but such a relief that the bleeding should become normal now. I was given the remains of what they took out along with a beautiful box/coffin to put my baby (still in my freezer). I cried so much today - at the guilt of being at hospital and giving in - at the loss of my baby - at the beautiful box that I was given and the thought of finally putting my baby to rest and sending him to his sister and at the wonderful, respectful way that I was treated by the doctors and nurses. I feel that I have been through the emotional wringer today and so want this to now move onto the next stage. The Dr said I have a great chance of miscarrying again because of my age but if I want a baby so much that I must try again. I've found strength today that I didn't know that I had but also accepted some weakness.

Hi Mad4babies, first off my condolences on your losses :hugs: I am going through my second miscarriage. The 1st was 8 months ago, early on at 5.5 weeks. This time is worse since Im also dealing with a missed miscarriage. I went for a first ultrasound a few days ago and was given a date of 6 weeks, when the baby should've been 9 weeks, no heart beat seen and an enlarged yolk sac. I was told come back in 9 days but that it wasn't looking good. I will go back and see what the ultrasound shows but if not good I will allow nature to take its course. In the mean time its nice to be able to connect with someone who has been there, as the waiting is difficult. Tks for sharing your story. Wishing you a successful pregnancy and health baby soon! :flower:

My second miscarriage was a really long process too, but I felt the need to wait it out. It's hard, but like you, it seemed right.

Hi Lee. I am so sorry for your news that you are preparing yourself for. This is the start of the waiting game if you chose natural management and can be harder than the physical.

I just wanted to share the timescale of my missed miscarriages to other people going through similar experiences so that they can be aware of how long this could take. My first mmc took over 17 weeks to complete from when the baby died and I am currently at 10 1/2 weeks with this one and have been bleeding really heavily the past 3 days with clots/tissue.

I wouldn't chose to do this any other way because I feel like it is giving me back some control and letting my body do the right thing now after feeling that it has let me down. I suppose I am trying to prove that my body is still working! On the other hand I do wish that it was complete now as I don't think the waiting has done my mental state any good.

If you want to talk about anything Lee I am happy to listen as you can feel so lonely going through this. Try and stay strong and do whatever you feel best for you. All my love x

Hi Mowat, sorry for your losses too :hugs:

Mad4babies, that is such a long time you had to wait! The waiting is terrible, so I feel for you. By the way are close in time frame, I should be 10 weeks and one day today.
I am just wanting to see the ultrasound on Friday and be told conclusively so I can move on mentally at least. Longest 9 days! :coffee:
Tks so much for the support. Sending you wishes for a speedy recovery and Big :hug:

Hi Lee. I hope you are managing to hang in there-these 9 days must feel like the longest of your life. Even when I saw my first mmc on the scan I still lived in hope each day that they were wrong until I started to bleed and each day was so long. Even though I knew deep down they were right I so wanted it to be wrong.

Every stage of the natural management for me has been a heart wrenching waiting game but I still wouldn't do it any other way.

Today I have been really struggling with the amount of blood and clots that I have lost the last 4 days and it is not letting me for 1 second of the day think about anything else but my miscarriages. I am so fed up of filling the pads and the toilet bowl with blood and clots. I have my baby in the freezer and I have no energy left to move on with that which leaves me feeling guilty. This bleeding and clotting is so reminding me of my first miscarriage which I was told about on June 12th last year so I am grieving for my first as well as this one. It has been a really long year - I feel that I've aged 10 years.

I will be thinking of you on Friday - try and stay strong - unfortunately there are things in life that we can't change, however much we want to. Please message me anytime if you want to talk. x x x

Tks Mad4babies, I feel for you with all you're going through. I have read that there are herbs that can help with excessive bleeding but hopefully you're already through the worst and its almost over. I hope you feel better soon. xx

Hi Lee. What herbs have you heard about? I've just stood up to go to the toilet and flooded. Left trail of blood from bed to bathroom, soaked trousers and filled toilet like I turned a tap on. I am getting really worried now that after all these weeks I'm going to end up with a D & C after all which means I have wasted 11 weeks. This is 6 days after baby left me - don't know what to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->