Money Money Money

gills8752

Mum of 2 Girl
Reaction score
Bit of a long story but its easier if I explain my whole situation and see if I've missed anything...

After 4 years of trying to get pregnant, going to the fertility clinic and finding not a lot wrong apart from pcos and that I don't ovulate, we gave up thinking about babies and decided to make other plans for our life.
So I gave up work Aug this year as a Beauty Therapist, intended on starting an Engineering Degree in September. I completed an access course over the last year and have been accepted into the degree.
I cut down my hours and arranged with my boss (who has been wonderful about me changing my hours in order to retrain to do something else) to leave in August to give me a month off before scary uni started. I then found out I was pregnant! :happydance: So my plans went out the window! :wacko:

I'm now sitting at home, over joyed at finally having a baby but think...ooooooh pooh, I've not much money now to afford a baby! Husband works and earns well although we have a lot of things to pay for (silly childish ooohhh we're earning money lets spend it all before we've got it syndrome!):wacko:
I've discovered the healthy pregnancy grant...wohoo, Child Tax credits...wohoo, Maternity Allowance...wohooo and maybe working tax credits.
I was wondering if there is anything I've missed?? :wacko:
Saying that.....Now I've written it all down it seems like lots of extras!

Thought this might be useful for anyone else aswell in similar situations. I've spent days attached to the laptop researching everything. I bet there is somewhere nicely put together too! :lol:

I think you're there! I don't know whether you would be eligible for the sure start grant but it's always worth a punt!

Oh and congrats on the pregnancy and also the degree place. Will you still be doing that? If so you may get some more money because you're a student including a nice voucher for childcare!! (My hubby is supposed to be starting uni in September 2010 - If he ever gets on with the application process...I'm scared to death they're going to tell him to do an access course as that will delay it and his work just wont allow him to study!)

Looks like you've got the basics sorted though...... and always remember, things have a way of working themselves out! Just have faith and you'll be fine!! :thumbup::hugs:

Aimee lots of unis are good at accepting mature students without access courses.

Thanks Maffie - he has 3 very good A levels (AAB in Biology, Geography and Chemistry) which he took in 2002, and has been working ever since. I'm hoping that his enthusiasm will get him through, and maybe an OU course if necessary.

everyone who earns under £55k gets child benifit too hun. and depending on how much your household income is you may be entitles to housing benifit too ?
dont let it stress you out too much hun, it will work out fine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->