montessori method/ homeschooling

Discussion in 'Kids & Teenagers' started by labydird, Jun 6, 2011.

1. labydird

labydird Well-Known Member

anyone who is interested or doing the above?

I try and use lots of montessori methods in and around the house with my children, but it would be nice to get some new/fresh ideas for activities/ games etc :up:

2. Amarna

Amarna Mother

My daughter is enrolled in a montessori oriented preschool and it's great for her. It's been great for her development and she loves going. She's a very active and independent child and I think the environment has helped her so much.

3. freckleonear

freckleonear Crunchy mummy

4. Sarahkka

Sarahkka Mama to Two Fine Boys!

We have the How to Raise an Amazing Child book and I think it's great. Simon loves sitting in my lap and looking at the pictures of the kids and talking about what they are doing. Which also helps to incorporate all those activities.

5. labydird

6. labydird

My eldest goes 3 days to a Montessori school, so its the days she (and the younger 2) are home with me I try to organise some sort of activities for them :thumbup:

The environment in a montessori school is so beneficial to any child, it just seems to follow the natural instinct and curiosity of the child and incorporate the play and learning into this. I am also a big fan of the teacher/ child ratio in a montessori school, personally I think children before age 6 need a lot of 1-1 time and smaller group settings to excel rather than big classrooms with just the one poor teacher struggling to bring order to so many kids!

7. ouchwithNo.2

ouchwithNo.2 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hi-jack.... we have a Montessori nursery just opened up near us and everyone I speak to raves about it.
    In a nutshell, why is so different to a 'convential' nursery?
    People keep telling me ella would do well in one although I am not sure what thats supposed to mean.....
    Is there any good reading?
    x