Mother and Baby Mag: Weaning

x-amy-x

Mammy
Reaction score
There was an article in October edition of Mother and Baby mag, I just got round to reading it and GOD WAS I IN FOR A SHOCK!

I have been very naive (sp) on my views of how and what i will feed Caitlyn. It just explained how you CANNOT give a baby/toddler a diet of only fresh and healthy foods ie. wholegrain, veg, fruit. As they need a lot more fat and calories than an adult does as they are very active and still growing.

There was case studies of mothers who had fed their children really healthy diets to ensure they did not get fat. Instead the children were painfully thin and malnurished, they ended up with 6 fillings in their baby teeth due to lack of calcium.

I was shocked. I had the view that I would only feed Caitlyn fresh fruit and veg made by myself. And she would not be allowed any sweet deserts other than the odd biscuit as i did not want her to get fat. And partly because my mother insists feeding her SHITTY food.

I will think again before reprimanding my mother. Children need fat! Key word being BALANCED diet. Just thought i'd post it here as i was really shocked with the article and hadn't even thought about the damage of only giving Caitlyn healthy food. She is my only child and I haven't yet been advised off anyone what IS a healthy diet.

If any of you are unsure as I am, get a hold of the mag and give it a read. I found it really interesting

xxx

One of natures most perfect foods is avacado. Lots of fat and really healthy for kids. Mashes up nice etc.

Here's my favorite website on baby nutrition ( other than Dr. Sears).

https://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/solids.htm

:hug:

Honestly, I've never been worried about Colton getting fat, but it does make sense.
They will burn just about everything, if you think about it.. how many little toddlers/kids do you see sitting still? :lol:

Colton gets a dessert after dinner every so often. We only give him a few bites, so usually most of it is wasted.. but he gets one every 1-2 weeks. And the one lasts about four days.

Full-fat yogurt and cheese are a great source of calcium and fat without all the chemicals and baddies found in highly-processed foods like cakes and biscuits. Eggs are very nutritious too, so including these three foods daily is an easy way to provide fats and calories, leaving processed foods for odd occasions.

I was speaknig to another friend who had read this and said it was interesting ill need to have a read. I never Fussed too much about Chloes eating as a baby, everything in moderation cooked the healthiest way possible. Im more conscious now that shes older as these are the eating habits she will stick with throughout life.

rhys is very skinny and hes been fed only fresh fruit and veg but i still belive this is the best, and i did the best by my son for not feeding him unhealthy food.

but then he has a milkintollerence so couldnt have fullfat milk/yoghurt etc anyway.

i wont let a magazine tell me to feed my kids unhealthy food.

The are lots of "healthy" foods that are a good source of energy / fat. You don't need to pig out on unhealthy food like biscuits, cakes etc to put on weight.

I give Erica avocados, full fat yogurt, and will try giving her cheeses later on. I think its good for babies to have natural fats and proteins, but I agree with the girls, I wouldn't give her a cheeseburger or something. (Although I'm sure that is not what the magazine meant.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->