Mother whose toddler drowned whilst she was on Facebook is jailed for 5 years

bumpy_j

Reaction score
Sorry for the DM link!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ailed-five-years-neglect.html#article-3266830

Appropriate? I don't know how to feel about it. Not to defend her too much as from the article, she sounded as if she was frequently pretty careless and irresponsible (especially as she was given constructive advice to make the pond less of a risk). But a jail sentence on top of losing your child? I guess I'm just surprised. I completely understand jail sentences in the cases of parents doing unbelievably stupid and selfish things like taking a shitload of drugs whilst supervising a child, but this could honestly have been less than sixty seconds of inadequate supervision. It makes me wonder if similar sentences can be handed down for leaving your toddler in the bath whilst you pop downstairs.

Again though, it was not as if she wasn't aware of the risks; drowning is universally known to be an enourmous danger. So ignorance can't really be used in her defence.

Yeah, no. It's completely appropriate. I have water on my property and there's no way in hell I would leave one of my kids unsupervised near the stream while I was well out of sight inside the house busy doing something. And fencing the water off was the first thing we did when we moved in.

Yes, she lost her child but that is 100 percent her fault. It's not just inadequate supervision, it's blatant negligence. From my reading of the article, she also seems to be mimimising her role, so not really taking responsibility.

I've not read that article but have read others about SS involvement because her children were often left unattended in the street not wearing clothes suitable for the weather. I think it goes beyond this one incident.

I totally agree with this, she allowed someone to die, her child or not the punishment fits. It's so sad cases like this and Maddie where I just wonder what on earth the parents were doing and the children pay the ultimate price.
Although, I hate that the DM article had to add her having 4 children by 3 men like this is supposed to contribute to her being a bad mother.

I totally agree with this, she allowed someone to die, her child or not the punishment fits. It's so sad cases like this and Maddie where I just wonder what on earth the parents were doing and the children pay the ultimate price.
Although, I hate that the DM article had to add her having 4 children by 3 men like this is supposed to contribute to her being a bad mother.

Yeah I scoffed at that too, totally unnecessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->