Mouse/Mice, HELP!!!

Cee108

Reaction score
Three days ago I was standing in the kitchen when I saw in the lounge, easy as you please, a little thing dart under the couch. I didn't even get to see if it was a little rat or a full-grown mouse but it wasn't that big. I told OH who also said he'd seen something dart under the bed when he woke up a morning ago but he thought he was just sleepy.

We live on a first floor apartment so we've never had this problem before. We put out Rentokil (the green wheat) everywhere but it doesn't seem to be depleting. Today I came home to find stuff slightly off place on the kitchen counter (we have our cutlery there on a stand -ewww!) and turns out the thing has helped itself to some bread by nibbling a hole in the bottom of the pack. I AM FREAKED OUT. There was baby's cereal right next to it; its obviously brushed near that pack and I wash my hands BEFORE making his cereal, not after, YUCK

Please if anyone's got any remedies, share with us before one of us falls ill. I've moved all edibles into cupboards above the kitchen counter and hopefully it can't get there but it needs to leave/die, NOW. :nope:

Thanks for any help

I think the green pebbles are more for rats. Are you renting? If so, I would call the landlord and have them send an exterminator.

Definitely get in touch with the landlord. This is an expense that they have to bear, not you. Plus, I bet you any money that most units have the mice if you are seeing them.
Meanwhile, put everything edible in metal or glass containers or store it in the fridge.
Look for places of entry and block them with wire mesh (mice can't chew through that).
And borrow a cat if you can. Their scent can help scare mice away.
Also, I would use snap traps as opposed to poison. I found them way more effective when we had a mouse problem a few years ago. It also eliminates the possibility of secondary poisoning if the mouse is eaten by a cat or bird of prey, etc.

I would get some traps if you can, they are normally more effective. But if you are renting def contact the landlord.

Hope it gets sorted out soon :flower:

I had no idea we could call the landlord about this, thanks ladies! I read that cats/owls wouldn't eat a dying rat so its safe to use this poison but I'd definitely like to eliminate the possibility and use a rat-trap instead. Amjon, I couldn't be sure if I saw a rat or a mouse so I got this.

Thanks again for the help, everyone. Massive food-storage operation tonight, then! :(

Try calling the council. They usually have their own pest control department.

You're better off with traps than bait tbh..... Also, just a warning, mice tend to pee when they walk :)sick:) and they walk along the edges, so just keep disinfecting your units.

Not sure about landlords, but our local council will only come out if it's rats, and they charge £75 to come out for mice.

Hope you get it sorted asap xxx

A few of these around the house worked wonders for us. :thumbup:

Mouse Plug

We had mice, did my head in. We called the landlord who got the exterminator out, they put old fashioned traps down, and came and cleared them up the next morning and repeated. Caught quite a few. We then made sure all surfaces were clean and mice poo free, kept an eye on it and have bought some of our own traps "just incase".

I bought some mouse traps and they worked - *shudder* I didn't foresee I would feel so bad about a dead (killed? eeep) mouse. But as long as its them and not us. The baby is ready to crawl any day and because we have carpet, I am freaked out about disinfecting it all :wacko:

I'm going to buy more rat-traps today and see if there are any more around. Thanks for all the help and advice, ladies! And I'm going to contact the landlord today as well (haven't gotten around to it) We pay £800 for a one bedroom - least they can do is keep the place uninfested :angry:

Remember that this is almost definitely a problem for your whole building. If one unit has mice, chances are very high that the rest of them do or will soon.
The flip side of this is that if you are doing extermination and your neighbours aren't, then you will never truly solve the problem. Just one more reason to make sure the landlord is involved and paying their fair share.
Rodents are considered a health menace in most places, so if your landlord doesn't deal with it quickly, go straight to a public health authority.
Also, I hope you kept the receipts for the extermination products you have already bought? You may be eligible for reimbursement.
Good luck. I have dealt with a mice infestation once and it was awful. I am also an animal lover, but around here, the mice can carry Hanta virus, so I lost my compassion pretty quickly. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->