Moving out of rented property..

WanaBaba

Reaction score
Hi :flower: we are moving to Germany in November as oh is in the army, we rent at the minute so I need to let the landlord know we are moving out. We had a years contract to start with and when that ran out the landlords wife rang for us to renew it for another year and we said yes and she said she would get back to us when shed sorted the paperwork but she never got back to us and now it's 16 months later. They've been excellent landlords, any problems and they'd be straight round fixing it so I want to give them notice which I think is usually a month is this correct?
I'm just wondering do I just ring them? And what exactly do I say?

I feel nervous for some reason and guilty I don't know why!

Hi :flower: we are moving to Germany in November as oh is in the army, we rent at the minute so I need to let the landlord know we are moving out. We had a years contract to start with and when that ran out the landlords wife rang for us to renew it for another year and we said yes and she said she would get back to us when shed sorted the paperwork but she never got back to us and now it's 16 months later. They've been excellent landlords, any problems and they'd be straight round fixing it so I want to give them notice which I think is usually a month is this correct?

Never nice to do when its been a happy situation.

Its is a months notice, i would ring and say your oh being posted to germany so need to give your notice and ask if they need it in writing (poss do it anyway and keep a copy). Thank them for being good landlords and make sure you confirm your moving out date clearly.

Good luck in your new adventure!!:thumbup:

Never nice to do when its been a happy situation.

Its is a months notice, i would ring and say your oh being posted to germany so need to give your notice and ask if they need it in writing (poss do it anyway and keep a copy). Thank them for being good landlords and make sure you confirm your moving out date clearly.

Good luck in your new adventure!!:thumbup:

Thankyou. The only problem is we don't know the exact date as the army havnt given him a proper start date yet!

I'm sure they'll understand. The only thing is if it's short notice you may have to pay for a month still but understandable :flower:

You are in a periodic tenancy so you have to give notice from your rent due date (start date on your contract) min of a month tho I wouldn't do it until you have a date with your h`s work, if your landlord is nice enough they may be flexible

I would inform them now via e-mail and phone call and tell them the situation and that as soon as you are aware of the posting date you will inform them.

This way, they can arrange for the house to be put back up on the market and (with your permission) have perspective new tenants look around the property, meaning that if you can't give the required one months full notice when you give the date, they may allow you of with any remaining rent etc.

That's what happened with us when we moved from Ireland back to the UK, due to the situation we couldn't give the exact date until two weeks beforehand but because we informed then with three months to go with the approximate time, they were able to have new tenants move in the following week.

Like the pp said, I'd let them know as soon as possible. They've been good to you so even if you don't leave for another 6 months, they should have well enough notice.

Have you been given your march in date yet hun? I made the mistake of giving our notice in too early but thankfully only made a difference of a week and the landlord didn't have somebody lined up so managed to put back a week, it is a pain.

Have you been given your march in date yet hun? I made the mistake of giving our notice in too early but thankfully only made a difference of a week and the landlord didn't have somebody lined up so managed to put back a week, it is a pain.

No not yet but oh had a meeting with welfare and they rang him asking him what date he wanted the house for so he gave them a date but hasn't heard back yet although that was only last week.

Well I rang landlord today I thought I was doing a nice thing just letting him know that we will be moving out soon but said I wasn't sure of the date but I would let him know asoon as I find out but that it wouldn't be for atleast 5 weeks yet. Well he sounded really P'd off with me! Was saying things like well I need atleast a months notice and I will need a date to give people who are viewing the house. Don't want it becoming like a hotel. (wtf?) He also told me to keep it tidy for showing people around! Surely he knows there will be boxes everywhere as we are just about to start packing! I feel even more stressed about it now I really thought he'd be pleased that I was letting him know in advance! Couple hours after I rang him there was a to let sign up! Does this mean people will be viewing the house now? And is he allowed to show people round without asking me and me being present?

oh dear :-( he would still need to ask you for access but if you've not got a date and you've not officially put it in writing I don't see how he can market it as your dates could get put back ?

I would call him and say you've not got a date so can he hold off for the moment

oh dear :-( he would still need to ask you for access but if you've not got a date and you've not officially put it in writing I don't see how he can market it as your dates could get put back ?

I would call him and say you've not got a date so can he hold off for the moment

Thing is though he does already know we haven't got a date yet as at the end of the call we agreed I'd ring him in a couple of weeks hopefully with a date! And that I'd keep him informed if we got one sooner.

Ring him again - how can he market it it without knowing a date

Agree, he cant market without a date to give prospective tenants!

You had said you never got round to signing the new lease? If thats the case then he doesnt have much rights at all, infact i think you would then come under the horribly titled 'squatters rights' law. However without a signed piece of paper he cant hold you to allowing viewing either.

Would be terrible to end up with it all bitter like that but sounds like he has become unreasonable. As doddy says i would give him another call and say while you are happy to allow viewing etc can he please wait until you have a date as that is much easier for everyone!
If that fails reckon it would be in your best interests to get some advice from your lawyer so you know exactly what you can and cant do, keep yourself right.

Good Luck:flower:

You had said you never got round to signing the new lease? If thats the case then he doesnt have much rights at all, infact i think you would then come under the horribly titled 'squatters rights' law. However without a signed piece of paper he cant hold you to allowing viewing either.

Would be terrible to end up with it all bitter like that but sounds like he has become unreasonable. As doddy says i would give him another call and say while you are happy to allow viewing etc can he please wait until you have a date as that is much easier for everyone!
If that fails reckon it would be in your best interests to get some advice from your lawyer so you know exactly what you can and cant do, keep yourself right.

an agreement is still in place even tho nothing has been signed it is a periodic tenancy which follows the same terms and conditions as the original agreement the Landlord can give two months notice and the tenant 1 month

Well I rang landlord today I thought I was doing a nice thing just letting him know that we will be moving out soon but said I wasn't sure of the date but I would let him know asoon as I find out but that it wouldn't be for atleast 5 weeks yet. Well he sounded really P'd off with me! Was saying things like well I need atleast a months notice and I will need a date to give people who are viewing the house. Don't want it becoming like a hotel. (wtf?) He also told me to keep it tidy for showing people around! Surely he knows there will be boxes everywhere as we are just about to start packing! I feel even more stressed about it now I really thought he'd be pleased that I was letting him know in advance! Couple hours after I rang him there was a to let sign up! Does this mean people will be viewing the house now? And is he allowed to show people round without asking me and me being present?

He is allowed to do viewings with you still in the property but I think you are entitled to 24 hours notice? I would try and be as helpful as possible, it's not your fault that you don't know your date but it isn't his either, what you are going to have to brace yourself for is waiting for your march in date and accepting there may be overlap between rents, he is entitled to his 4 weeks notice and the military aren't always very helpful, life is much easier once you are in the military system!! Ring the HASC EVERYDAY to badger them for a move in date, and call the station SCSO in Germany for assistance.

Yeah we never signed a new contract but he has been a REALLY good landlord so I want to try and be as reasonable as possible.
I think I'll wait and see if he contacts me first about people looking around as he did mention that the reason he wanted a date was because he would need one to give to prospective tenants so doesn't make much sense for him to show anyone round yet!

He is allowed to do viewings with you still in the property but I think you are entitled to 24 hours notice? I would try and be as helpful as possible, it's not your fault that you don't know your date but it isn't his either, what you are going to have to brace yourself for is waiting for your march in date and accepting there may be overlap between rents, he is entitled to his 4 weeks notice and the military aren't always very helpful, life is much easier once you are in the military system!! Ring the HASC EVERYDAY to badger them for a move in date, and call the station SCSO in Germany for assistance.

Thanks Hun, I know I can't wait to get into the military system, will be much easier! Are the HASC the welfare people my oh would have spoken to? Am I allowed to ring them before oh has got a start date? Or we've even been allocated a house? And who are the SCSO? Sorry still not used to all this army lingo yet lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->