Moving to Canada AND pregnant - help!

Ozzie2012

Reaction score
My husband and I are relocating to Calgary from Australia in a couple of months. I'm very excited about it, but by the time we get there I'll be near the end of my second trimester and am concerned about what to do so far as seeing an obstetrician and finding a hospital for the birth. This is my first child, so it's all quite daunting. Does anyone have any tips on where to start?
Thanks

Hey there,

Welcome!! I'm in Calgary and just thought I'd let you know a couple of things. There are several maternity clinics in the city that you need a family doctor referral for and there are some that you can refer yourself to as well. Just google Calgary Maternity Clinic and several options come up. I'm sure you can get in touch with them by email even now and ask questions about things you're wondering about. Typically the group of doctors at the clinic will let you know which hospital they deliver out of so you don't need to worry about that. You just might want to make sure that the clinic is in the area of the city that you'll be living in. Also, if you're interested in a birth class, you should check out www.birthandbabies.com They have a range of different types of classes that you can register for online. They're offered by the Calgary Health Region and from what I've heard are very good. (I'm using a midwife and hoping to have as natural a birth as possible so am going a slightly different route.. but if you're interested you can check out www.HealthyBirthChoices.com). Hope this info helps to put your mind more at ease as it's a place to start looking into things! I hope you enjoy Calgary!

I recommend bringing a copy of your Australia Ob/Gyn notes regarding this pregnancy. It will be very very hard for the Canadian Dr to get a hold of them after the fact. Make sure you have the prenatal information sheet, as well as any ultrasound results, and any other relevant testing that you have had done.

If your Australia Dr is unable to give you a copy make sure you get a phone # and fax # as well as contact information that you can give your new Canadian maternity Dr.

I work with high risk OB patients in Calgary. We find it is so much easier for Dr's and patients when they bring their information with them. With the time difference trying to get a hold of your previous Dr can be a pain in the behind.

I'm in Calgary too! We used a MW for our dd and had a homebirth and using the same MW for our second but my sister is a doula and quite familiar with all the processes (re: hospitals, etc.) so it's just a simple ask if you have any questions! Feel free to PM me if you need anything :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->