Mum Sentenced Over Son's Hit-And-Run Death - your thoughts?

Wow, what a sad story.

Unfortunately though, there are laws for a reason and if people who break them aren't dealt with then there would be no point in them. So as incredibly sad as it is, and however much sympathy that poor woman deserves, she did break the law and for that reason she should be held accountable in my opinion.

I don't know, it sounds messed up to me. But then again there are plenty of laws, especially in America that I don't agree with or deem necessary.

I just can't help but put my self in the mother's shoes :shrug: still seems unfair.

Really sad story. Cannot imagine what the poor mum is going through.

I kinda agree though that the case should have been brought. Morally, it's not right, that is plain to see. But it is only once in a blue moon that interpretation of the law throws up an absurdity, and this is one of those times.
She has been punished in the fact that she has been brought before the courts, but to be fair her sentence was not as harsh as it could have been. This makes me think she has been shown compassion on some level through the suspended sentence.

It is difficult for us in the UK to understand a law that we don't have. To us it seems strange for it to be an offence to cross where there is no crossing. I've been to America a few times - to Vegas, Chicago, New York...and to smaller towns in Milwaukee and Michigan...and even the "smaller" towns have roads that you would never attempt to cross in a million years. This puts the jaywalking law in perspective.

In the eyes of the law it is not good enough to say she has suffered enough so it should never have been brought to the courts. The fact remains the law was broken. If it starts getting decided outside of the courtroom who should and should not face prosecution (in the case where the evidence is clear that a crime has been committed) then it would in some way make a mockery of the jury system - which is a system I am fully supportive of.

It's a tough one, granted, but there is a difference between an empathetic interpretation and a legal one.

My heart goes out to the mother though - what an awful thing to have to live with.

It's ridiculous.

F*cking ridiculous. Losing her child is punishment enough. Dumb laws piss me right off!

In other, more amusing news, my ex thought J walking was if you crossed a road and then turn around and came back (so you walked the shape of a J) - LOL!

It's ridiculous.

F*cking ridiculous. Losing her child is punishment enough. Dumb laws piss me right off!

In other, more amusing news, my ex thought J walking was if you crossed a road and then turn around and came back (so you walked the shape of a J) - LOL!

:rofl: LEGEND!!!

Morally, this is very unfair - hasn't she suffered enough by losing her son?

The 'race card' should never have been brought up. The problem wasn't because she was black and all the jury was white. The problem was that none of the jurors had used public transport in metro Atlanta so weren't the best choice of people to make an informed decision about the case.

A toughie this one.

I have been fined before for jaywalking (as it's called), and numbers of my friends have too. Obviously not with a child in tow.

This is because where we live the drivers are complete and utter nutters (outside of the city) and inside the city it's mayhem.

That being said I would never cross a road with my child anywhere else but a designated crossing. Unless there wasn't one at all which would mean that the road was out in the country, or extremely quiet and safe to cross. Just my opinion!

Awwwwwwww how sad.

The roads out in america do seem more crazy bigger and dangerous then the average UK roads looking at that photo, I wouldnt of crossed that road with my kids.

however over here people always 'j walk' like others have said there are no laws i guess its just cross at your own risk. There arent many crossings/traffic lights etc and tbh
i have been waiting at traffic light crossings before and cars have sped through when the lights are RED......so they arent always 100% safe either x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->