Music - Is A Cover Ever As Good As The Original?

sometimes.. not always tho. theres some songs that should never ever be covered but some are alot better.

Like whitney housten- i will always love you alot better than the dolly parton original

Sometimes :-D can't thing of any examples yet though... *watch this space*

99% of the time i think noooooooooooooo

Ask someone between the ages of 10 and 15 who sang "I'll Stand By You" bet you they all say Girls Aloud :rofl: :rofl:

I think it depends on what version you knew first!

People have covered Genesis tracks, but i love genesis too much and despise the cover versions... i find it amusing when you go to places like matalan and they only play cover versions (sung by no one in particular) they are god awful

Yeah thats too funny Amy, you stand there trying to suss out if its the real person singing it or just some random :rofl:

the only cover that i really love is take that could it be magic (orginaly barry manilow)

other great cover jonny cash hurt (nine inch nails)

Yeah quite a few songs I like cover versions better, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Leona Lewis/ Snow Patrol. Now I like Snow Patrol but I have to say Leona Lewis did a good job there.

Call me crazy but I really like Marilyn Manson's "Sweet Dreams" and "Tainted Love" as much or nearly as much as the originals!

I love Leona but think she killed run :(

i think it really depends... cant think of any off the top of my head though :blush:

I think if the version is a carbon copy of the original (and lets face it, girlband and boyband ones always are) they wont ever match the same level of respect or magic.

I cringe at 99.9% of cover versions!

A couple exceptions to the rule imo-

Hurt-Johnny Cash
Halleluyah-Jeff Buckley
Crazy-Patsy Cline.

In some cases yes.. silverstein did a punk version of apologize, and a day to remember did a punk version of over my head and tbh i think there alot better. :)

Ooh there are some GREAT "punk" covers floating around out there! If you're into that sort of music.. like for Time After Time, Somewhere Over The Rainbow, etc.

Call me crazy but I really like Marilyn Manson's "Sweet Dreams" and "Tainted Love" as much or nearly as much as the originals!
yeah i agree :)

i love nightwish's covers of phontom of the opera and over the hills and far away and cradle of filth's stay :D

Ooh there are some GREAT "punk" covers floating around out there! If you're into that sort of music.. like for Time After Time, Somewhere Over The Rainbow, etc.

Aaah there was a great punkish band who only do covers but I cant remember what they were called I love them! Think 1/2 members from NOFX were in them.

The only cover I think I've ever heard I prefered to the original is Flash of the Blade, originally by Iron Maiden but covered by Avenged Sevenfold.

Leona Lewis killed Run, I really can't bear her. I hate warblers! And don't get me started on that Alexandra from X Factors single. Awful!

So on the whole Id say no.

xxx

i prefer the Metallica version of the dubliners/thin lizzy's 'whiskey in the jar', and also their version of Queen's 'stone cold crazy'

but when i heard slappers aloud and sugarbints murdering Aerosmiths 'Walk this way' i wanted to crawl through the speakers and strangle the lot of them!! :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->