Musical instruments! When did your child start to learn?

kate.m.

Mummy to Travis
Reaction score
Hiya!
Just a bit of a curiosity really (after watching wife swap this mornin!) id really like Travis to learn a musical instrument. What instrument/s do your children play? and at what age did they start to learn? Id like him to have a go at everything, and then he can decide which (if any) he wants to continue with! :thumbup:

I come from a very musical family so Aaron has been around musical instruments since birth. He has recently expressed an interest in learning to play my violin, so I will be buying him a 1/16 size soon and teaching him myself. He will also start learning the piano with my mum within the next year, using a colour based system to teach music reading. He is 3, and although children from musical families with access to expert teachers (often Suzuki method) sometimes start at that age, the normal minimum age that most teachers will take is five or six. Once he is older and has the physical stamina I will probably introduce a wind instrument and a brass instrument of his choice as well. I learnt to play 10+ instruments before I left primary school, so I would love him to have such a rich opportunity.

Years 2 and 3 so age 6 upwards. Our school scheme is brilliant - government subsidised so you pay a discounted termly rate and hire the instrument to take home rather than having to fork out for one yourself!

Thanks for this thread. I was wondering about this myself. I got my little girl a recorder for Christmas (remind me why I did that again?) and have taught her a few notes and she seems to have taken to it. I think that she would benefit more from having the discipline of a proper teacher.

My big question is which instrument. Can anyone suggest any that don't make a lot of noise!!!!

Thanks for the replies ladies! My Mum is a piano & singing teacher, so im gonna ask her to teach him piano (eventually!) DH can play guitar & drums, so i think he'd like him to have a go at those too! DH is very impressed that Travis's favourite toy at the moment is his baby drum! lol!

Thanks for this thread. I was wondering about this myself. I got my little girl a recorder for Christmas (remind me why I did that again?) and have taught her a few notes and she seems to have taken to it. I think that she would benefit more from having the discipline of a proper teacher.

My big question is which instrument. Can anyone suggest any that don't make a lot of noise!!!!

I can't think of anything that makes less noise than a recorder! :haha: A flute might be less harsh I suppose?

i find with recorders its more the how sharp the tone is that the noise.
the flute is just as loud, but a much more soft tone,
lyssa's a little young for instruments, but i help tutor some children at a local saturday band that im first chair in, and they take new students from 4 or 5, depending on how disciplined the child is x

My son is 5 and hammers away on a keyboard randomly. I haven't really gotten him involved in structured music yet.

I started learning violin when I was 9 and piano when I was 14. I hope to have children learn at least basic music.

There are just so many different things to get kids involved in..
My son's done taekwondo and ice skating lessons. He's signed up for t-ball and soccer. And I'd like him to start swim lessons this summer.

Kaya is 3 and has just started piano lessons - they're only 20 mins and use songs and games

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->