My 2 year old's eyes

natasha82

Reaction score
Hi, I used to use this site all the time while TTC and during my pregnancy and then moved onto the baby club forum. But since last year life has been quite hectic and stressful and I haven't really had the time to focus on coming on here. Hopefully a few people may still recognise my name/picture though. :flower:

So I have noticed (over the last 6 months or so) that my little boys right eye turns inwards when he is focusing on a toy or a book up close. I mean when he was a baby, his eye used to do it now and then but it was never a thing that you would notice all the time so I just assumed all babies eyes did that from time to time? But now it seems to be getting progressively worse and seems to be every single time he is focusing on something up close. Even when he was watching the tv from across the room the other day, I noticed his eye was turning in again. So it isn't always when he is focusing on something close up.

We do have a history of eye problems in both sides of our families and my OH has a squint but it's not that bad and he had that operation to help correct it when he was younger. The same applies to my mum and my brother, with the squint and the operation to correct it. My eyes are ok, just as I've got older I need glasses for reading, laptop etc.

I just assumed because my boy didn't have what I would consider a noticeable squint (and happening all the time) from birth, I thought he must have inherited my good eyesight. I didn't think that they could develop eye sight problems later on?

Does anyone else have any experience of this happening with their LO? Obviously I am going to be making him an appointment at the doctors as soon as he can get in. I went to the opticians today but was told it was what doctors dealt with more.

My DS has this in his left eye and he gets like a flicker/eye roll thing when he's tired. I took him to the doctor and she said it is a mild lazy eye, caused by his young eyes getting used to focusing at different distances and getting strained, basically. She said we're more likely to see it when he is focusing on something close up and then asked to focus on something further away or visa versa. I was told that it is common and usually corrects itself and that there isn't anything we need to do, other than try to make sure he sleeps enough to give his eyes enough rest and that if it doesn't correct when he's older (I can't remember when she said though :dohh:) there are simple things they can do to correct it. If it is a squint then it sounds reassuring that they can correct it easily :)

My son has a turn in his eye among other issues. Your HV can refer him to an ophthalmologist at the hospital :)

Oh thank you for replying. That sounds quite reassuring then - if it is the same thing as what your LO has. I will take him to the doctors and see what they think. Hopefully it will just correct itself over time then.

My son has a turn in his eye among other issues. Your HV can refer him to an ophthalmologist at the hospital :)

Did your son have this turn in his eye from birth, did you notice? Or did it gradually seem to happen over time? Thanks for replying.

Did your son have this turn in his eye from birth, did you notice? Or did it gradually seem to happen over time? Thanks for replying.

No it wasn't from birth I think we started noticing it around 15 months. He got his first pair of glasses around 20-21 months.

ETA: the eye muscles are usually like this and tend to correct themselves around 2 years of age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->