My amazing home water birth

luna_19

Mom of two!
Reaction score
Hayden Everleigh arrived at about 2:45am December 18 at 40+3!
Hayden's birth story starts very fittingly for this pregnancy, I ate the burrito that my hubby got me for dinner too fast and puked it back up while peeing myself. While I was laying down thinking about what to have for dinner attempt #2 I noticed I was having very mild period like cramps every 15-20 minutes or so. It really could have must been digestive upset which is another common theme over the last 9 months but I didn't have any runny poops all the times I ran to the bathroom throughout the evening.

When I went to bed at about 9:30 I told hubby things might be getting started because I'd been feeling all crampy since puking. I read for a bit then tried to sleep and of course the cramps got stronger right away, why do I always go into labour right when I'm about to go to sleep? I got out my contraction timer and found they were really irregular, sometimes as close as 6 minutes and as far apart as 15 minutes but all about a minute long so I just laid in bed trying to sleep.

I guess I finally managed to fall asleep because next thing I knew I woke up around 12:30 to way stronger cramps that I actually had to breathe through. I timed a few again and now they were a bit shorter, about 45 seconds but only 2-3 minutes apart. I woke up hubby and told him I needed my pool and paged the midwife. I really didn't want to bother her in the middle of the night if I wasn't close but with my last labour I went from these very manageable contractions to needing to push very quickly so I gave her a call. She was skeptical because I was able to talk through them fine while on the phone with her but because of my history she said she would come by but would wait on calling the second midwife out until after she arrived. We got the bed made with plastic and ugly sheets and got the pool filling and I went out to the living room so I could lean on my exercise ball. Devyn woke up at this point but luckily hubby was eventually able to get him back to bed.

My contractions were getting really strong at this point just as the midwife arrived. She told me the other one was on the way, not sure if she just decided on the drive to call her or if she called as soon as she arrived and saw that things were progressing quickly. Finally my pool was ready the water temperature was perfect and it was so nice to be able to get in. I had a few of the same type of contractions once I got in and was fine just leaning on the edge of the tub then I'm guessing I hit transition really suddenly because they got really, really strong. It's so funny how almost everyone decides they can't do it when they reach that point, I know everyone says it and I said it last time too but I just couldn't help telling everyone that I don't want to do it anymore! The second midwife arrived sometime during this time and things got really loud. Then with the next contraction I got the urge to push, I couldn't not push I really had no choice! By the end of two of those I think I felt the head move way down into my bum and could feel it bulging with my hand. I was on my hands and knees but luckily the pool was deep enough that I was in the water enough to stay and push like that. I told them baby was coming and the midwives made sure I kept everything submerged for baby to come out. I had two more contractions where I just had to push and at the end of the second one the head was out! I had to wait for the next one to get her all the way out so spent however long it was in between just holding her head it was so weird, I was terrified to touch the head last time. She came out really easily with the next contraction, one of the midwives caught her and they passed her to me but also had to get the cord from around her neck. Then I got to lay back with her on my chest while they checked her out.

Eventually we turned a lamp on so we could all see better and I checked and it was a girl! I really wasn't expecting a girl at all. I had planned to deliver the placenta without oxytocin so one of the midwives told me to push when I felt another cramp but I was having a hard time with the cord touching me down there, it was just long enough to get baby to my chest, so we waited until it had stopped pulsing then hubby got to cut it then we moved to the bed. I was able to easily push out the placenta and eventually Hayden even latched and had her first feed. The midwife checked me out and I just had a tiny tear that didn't need stitching. We spent a few hours in bed it was so nice not to be rushed like at the hospital last time.

Because of her weight the midwives said we could either go to the hospital for blood sugar monitoring or supplement a small amount just in case blood sugar was low. I didn't want to go anywhere but I was never able to express any colostrum to give in case this happened so hubby went and followed the one midwife that had some donor milk available to pick it up since she was on her way to another birth. Devyn ended up waking up at 5, the one midwife that was staying for a bit brought him into bed with me but he was too excited when he saw that baby had arrived he couldn't go back to sleep. Then hubby got home so that was the end of that he had to go out and show off his basketball skills. Once hubby could hold Hayden I was able to get up and have a shower, they got everything cleaned up while i was in there and then we went back to bed. We even slept for a bit!

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 48
Oh just beautiful!!! Congratulations on your beautiful little girl!!!

She's so beautiful and tiny! Hope your milk comes in soon.

Congratulations! Beautiful birth story :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->