My Birth Story - Positive High Risk VBAC *long*

MrsLQ

3 boys and a cat <3
Reaction score
Hello :hi:

This is the story of my little man’s entrance into the world!!

Vital Statistics
Gestation: 38 weeks and 4 days
DOB: 25/10/2011
Time: 09.02 am
Weight: 7lbs 4oz
Height: 52 cms

I had been having irregular tightening’s for about a week, I took this to mean my body was preparing itself for labour. On the 24th, I began losing what I thought was my mucus plug, however I was unsure as I had inserted 3 EPO capsules the night before and wasn’t sure if it was the outer gel of the capsules. It happened a few times and I thought maybe this is actually my plug? In the afternoon, I was literally on my hands and knees picking things up off the living room floor as I found it impossible to bend. As I was about to get up to standing position I felt something like a small gush and I thought “what the hell was that?”. I stood up and thought about the fact that I had in the past 10 mins drank 1 and ¾ pints of cordial and then thought “oh God I have pissed myself”, I made my way to bathroom and sat on the toilet took my pants off and smelt them! *the things us women do!!!* and it smelt kind of sweet and definitely not of pee. I posted on ‘BnB’ called my Husband and told him to make his way home. I also called my mum and she got excited saying that baby was on his way.

I called the hospital as I was high risk and they told me to make my way in, but not to rush. I called my BF and her husband who just happened to be in Birmingham (they had move to Brighton 3 weeks ago) and they offered to come and get me and take me to the hospital. I made my way there and I was losing little bits of water and plug the whole time. I started having contractions about an hour after my waters broke. I was put on the machine for a while when I got there and it was registering my contractions. They wanted to check to see how dilated I was so they could decide if I had to stay there or if I could go home. I asked if I could go for a walk and when I got back have them check. I went for a walk and was having contractions the whole time, they were uncomfortable, but not massively painful, I had to kind of jig through them. I went for the walk and was checked and told at 8.30 pm I was 1 cm, however the baby had not descended fully into my pelvis and it can be quite dangerous as the placenta can come down first.

I was then told that I would be moved to the delivery ward and checked in 4 hours if I had not progressed to being in established labour I would be moved to the maternity ward. I was also told if I had not delivered or progressed fast enough I would be induced within 48hrs **eeeeek**. I went to delivery and was basically left to it, my contractions got stronger and closer together, I was just walking around and keeping mobile at this point, My Midwife, popped in a few times and was really lovely, I had to have Gaviscon as I had really bad heartburn *WTF* I was supposed to have been checked at 1am however my midwife was delivering another baby *awwww*. I was instead checked at 2.30am and was 3cm, I was so relieved as I hadn’t got this far with Oliver and my body had done this all by itself. As it was so late the midwife said I would just stay in the delivery suite, I asked if I could have some pain relief as I wanted to sleep and knew we were in for a Looooooooooong night. I then proceeded to vomit…yuck! Was going to have pethidine, but decided to try the pool first, I did and I didn’t really like it. It made my contractions really Strong and speeded them up to one every 21/2 minutes (as I hadn’t had any pain relief it was just too much), I got out of the pool after ½ hour and had a shot of pethidine and carried on, the pethidine worked really well for me. I was able to get some sleep.

My contractions got stronger and stronger and it is all kind of a blur, I used my birthing ball and was breathing through it all, I remember some very random conversations. I also had some Gas and air, I was then checked at 8 am and was 5cms, I was relieved that I had progressed, but thought I had hours to go and was asking for an epidural, I instead had another shot of pethidine and within 30 minutes thought I was dying and had to poo, I was screaming and the MW said it was babies head moving down my pelvis. I screamed I had to poo and went to the toilet with my best friend, I was convinced my bum was falling out, I was in agony. The contractions were coming hard and fast and I couldn’t move. The MW came and eventually got me to the bed she asked if she could re-examine me and I questioned it as it hadn’t even been 45 minutes since the last time, she did the check anyway and said I was 10cms and ready to go, by this time it was just before 9am. My membrane had come out earlier when I was trying to poo and was hanging out but hadn’t popped *weird*, she then said it was time to push and me and hubby thought we had about an hour to go, Sean had called my mum at 8.30 to say to make her way down as I was 5 cms, once push and out popped baby Zachary…..We were in shock, Sean said it was the quietest I had been through the whole thing, he was born into the membrane sac which had to be broken and his eyes were open. One more push and he was out. He was her at 9.02am…..I had gone from 5cm to birthing him in less than 45 mins….crazy!!

I was given him straight away and was just in awe, I delivered the placenta after 30 minutes and was then told I had a 2nd degree tear, 3 grazes and a small tear by where I pee…ouchies, I was sutured which took forever and Sean had Zachary. We were both super sleepy from the pethidine and he couldn’t latch to feed. After I was all stitched up I had a shower, where I passed the biggest clot (about the size of my hand!!) I was then taken to the ward and we were left to it, was lovely, such a different experience from before….

Hope this is an inspiring story for all high risk ladies hoping for a VBAC!!

Photos of my beautiful baby boy.....Zachary Noah Jonah Lewis-Quinn

IMG_0588.jpg Just been born and handed to mummy

IMG_0602.jpg All wrapped up, his 1st day on the world

IMG_0598.jpg Me and my Boys Zachary and Oliver

IMG_0599.jpg The proudest big brother in the world!!! :cloud9:

Oh hun, well DONE. He is absolutely stunning! And the pics of both your boys together :cry:

Well done and congratulations!

Shall be you soon my love!!

Reading your story has made me very very very excited and a bit impatient!

Awww yay, congratulations!! Oliver really does look like the happiest big brother in the world! Im so glad that it all happened so quickly after you hit 5cm, 5 must be your magic number :hugs:

fab story cherie :D congratulations hun, hes gorgeous xx

Congrats!!!!

Way to go with that progression hun, 5 to 10 in 45 mins - nice job!

What a great story. Congratulations on little Zachary (love the name) and the pic of your two boys together is truly beautiful. You should have it framed! Hope you make a speedy recovery and enjoy your new bundle xxx

Congratulations. your november baby was an october :thumbup:

Just over here from first tri snooping really! Just wanted to say congrats, both your boys are gorgeous! Which hospital were you at? I'm having LO at good hope, Sutton, they were fab with DD!

Well done x

I had Zachary (latest addition) in City hospital (Dudley Road) and I had Oliver (the original) at good hope. I think service is dependant on the individual you have treating you not the hospital if that makes sense! Good luck with your little one, How old is your DD?

Wow Amazing! :hugs: And that pic of you and your boys together is so beautiful :cloud9:

And how fabulous do you look post-baby??
I looked like I was trampled by a herd of elephants for at least 2 weeks! :haha:

I had Zachary (latest addition) in City hospital (Dudley Road) and I had Oliver (the original) at good hope. I think service is dependant on the individual you have treating you not the hospital if that makes sense! Good luck with your little one, How old is your DD?

She is 4 in December, I know what you mean, my 2 midwives who delivered her were FAB (one was student) but then after I had a right bitch! She was that horrible, I put a complaint in about her on our departure!

Ideally I want a home birth, pretty low risk so shouldn't be a prob, just need to convince oh now lol! X

Wow your braver than me, lol

I just can't looking at him and Oliver is fantastic with him!

congratulations, what a lovely story and you have a beautiful family :D xx

congratulations :) lovely birth story and two very gorgeous boys! x

Congratulations on your beautiful wee boy, love the pic of him and his gorg big bro :thumbup: Very cute.

Congrats and well done!!
What a great story to read as I am hoping to have a VBAC.
Can I ask, were you attached to a trace the whole time or were you free to move around as you pleased?

Congrats and well done!!
What a great story to read as I am hoping to have a VBAC.
Can I ask, were you attached to a trace the whole time or were you free to move around as you pleased?

I was put on a trace for 30 mins when I first went in and that was it, I was able to move round, in my delivery room, but it was huge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->