My DD's homebirth story

nikki-lou25

Reaction score
Ok, I am new here and it was right back in April...but a few people have asked for it so I shall share it :winkwink: I am really proud of what I achieved and I love to think that ladies can read it and draw something from it, esp if they want a homebirth.

I used a hypnobirthing CD throughout pregnancy - althouhg I didnt play the CD in labour I did use the techniques through the stronger contractions at the end.

Aimee’s birth story

17th April, woke up at 1:47am for a pee and had a show, didn’t think it meant anything though as I’d had the same a week earlier and no labour…but noticed this time it was bloody. Got back in bed, and the minute I lay down I started getting niggling pains. I couldn’t get back to sleep so I watched a bit of TV in bed and they were getting a little bit more painful. I contemplated waking Todd up but didn’t want to as I thought maybe they were painful Braxton hicks so I got up and switched my PC on.

6am contractions were about 5mins apart and lasting 30-40 seconds, I was timing them online. Todd got up but I sent him to work because I still wasn’t sure whether I was in labour or not (so much for “when you’re in labour you just know”) Todd kind of had an idea I was in labour when he got up and found me at the PC clutching my bump ;)
I text Michelle (my doula) and we decided I should try a warm bath – but this didn’t ease the pains much. I tried getting in bed to rest but they hurt when I lay down, well I wouldn’t say hurt but I was really uncomfortable so I got back up. My friend Becky phoned and told me I should phone the hospital just to be sure. I did and they told me they’d send a community midwife out to check me. Denise (mw) phoned and asked how I was etc and said she’d get to m house around 11:30am as she was running a clinic but I had to phone if I thought things were getting urgent. Vicky came round to keep me company, ctx were still coming but totally bearable. I checked my facebook etc and waited for the m/w.

11:45 Midwife (Denise) arrived she checked my b/p and she was concerned it was a bit high and suggested checking to see where I was at, she examined me and told me that I was definitely in labour…I was 3.5cm and she stretched me to 4/4.5cm. She waited to check my BP again and it had settled to normal. She said that from now a midwife would be staying with me.

12:20 Todd came home from work about and we told him his baby was making her escape. Michelle arrived not long after and was really excited lol Vicky left us to it at this point and went to Gails. I was ordered to update via text (which I did and got laughed at all the way to 9cms)

2pm Denise had to go and she handed over to another midwife (Laura). Laura brough gas and air with her and as ctx were getting a bit stronger they asked if I wanted to use it but I wasn’t too bothered at the point. I was happy enough breathing through and having my backed rubbed lol. Todd got sent to Tesco for snacks etc. The m/w kept checkin Aimee’s heartrate and it was fine. It got checked every 15mins as did my b/p but everything was fine.

4pm I was examined again and was about 5/6cm and ctx were definitely getting stronger but the midwife pointed out that they still weren’t regular. I was wandering the house (hanging off the kitchen doorframe with each ctx) and either Michelle or Todd were rubbing my back, they kind of took turns.
We put on a breastfeeding DVD to take my mind off things and sat and watched that but I missed half of it as I had changed positions and was leaning over the footstool.

5pm Faye arrived shortly followed by Irene and Laura handed over to them. These were the 2 ladies that were going to deliver my baby, it was a strange feeling to know that in hours Aimee would be here.
We all had a brew and snacks etc and I just continued breathing through ctx and pacing the living room. I was happy enough at this point but ctx still weren’t regular and had started trailing off slightly…Faye asked me to try different positions to get them to pick up again.

8pm Examined again and was roughly 8cm – I changed out of my clothes and into my big baggy nightie and went back downstairs and when asked what I felt like doing I asked if I could watch Corrie haha. The midwives and Michelle were all laughing at me for texting away and checking my facebook throughout the labour so far. One of them said they could write a book about me as they’d never seen anything like it and I was SO relaxed. We put the TV on but ctx were picking up again and I was getting quite uncomfortable and was shattered. Everytime I lay down to listen to Aimees heartbeat I was reluctant to get up…but ctx hurt to much lay down so it was back over the footstool, this time with a heated wheat bag on my back but I got far too hot and ended up just breathing and trying to find comfortable positions. I had a bit of a cry at this point telling Michelle and Todd I couldn’t do it and I was shattered.

11pm – 12am – I felt ok even thought the ctx were now painful, I tried gas and air but wasn’t too keen as I was stood up and it made everything go hazy/black out and I began losing concentration. I was taking huge lung fulls of the stuff and it didn’t have much effect and as they wanted me to try pushing they took it off me. I had the urge to push by but was holding back even when they were telling me to try; I was really fighting my own body which wasn’t the best idea. I remember standing in the corner and telling people I was freaked out because I knew it was going to hurt real bad soon. They were all fab and we started doin little pushes but I was still holding back and fighting the urge because I was scared I’d poo (haha silly really). My waters broke and Aimee was still quite high apparently, I thought I’d wee’d but Todd asked if that was my waters and when Faye checked she confirmed it was.

1am - I was still pushing but actually quite vigorously now. I’d lay on the sofa and Aimee’s head was visible but I went upstairs to have my bladder drained (how nice) because Aimee was still quite high despite me being fully dilated and they were getting a bit worried that I might have to transfer to hospital if things didn’t move on soon. 12 months ago I’d have DIED if someone suggested a catheter but I practically ran upstairs. She said it’d hurt a bit but I didn’t feel a thing. After this I couldn’t get back up, she’d taken it out but I literally had no energy. They’d set up for delivery downstairs but they dragged everything up so I kind of knew Aimee wasn’t going to be too long.

2am – STILL pushing, I was KNACKERED. The midwife turned the light off in the bedroom and left me for a while to rest. Todd came in and we had a surreal moment alone together, sat on the bed waiting for our little girl. Faye came back up and told me I really had to put effort into it now as we needed Aimee out asap.
Todd was backwards and forwards at this point, I was pushing with all the energy I had left. Todd stood at the end of the bed and watched Aimee’s head emerging whilst telling me how amazing I was doing and how fab it looked. Faye and Irene had hold of my legs because for some reason they wanted them in the air and I couldn’t hold them up anymore I was too tired. I was pushing so hard yet they were telling me “harder” and I didn’t think it was possible.

2:54am – Aimee was finally born onto my chest, I just remember shouting Todd because I didn’t know if he was there and he appeared from behind Faye. I burst into tears, Todd was crying and we were both totally in shock.

Placenta came out 8mins later while I was cuddling Aimee. I had an hour cuddling and trying to get her to breastfeed and then I went for a bath then got back in my bed while Daddy had cuddles with his little girl. The midwives then weighed Aimee and left us alone to enjoy our little girl for a few minutes while they went downstairs to fill in paperwork.

Thank you sweetie!! Sounds fabulous. I so hope I can tell a similar story one day soon x

No problem, I'd shout it from the rooftops if I didnt look insane hehe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->