my ebf baby won't take the bottle!

deeee

Reaction score
Hi all
You guys are my last hope!
Does anyone know how to get an ebf baby to take a bottle of expressed breast milk or even formula?
My son is 4 months old and i've been breastfeeding since birth but used to give him a bottle every couple of weeks and he would take it no problem. Last time was on September 23rd. This month he rejected it completely! It seems to repel him so much, he even recognizes it during sleeping and starts screaming :(
I tried different bottles, different positions and different times of the day: nothing seems to work.
Should i give up?

Have u tried different teats I had the same trouble with my son when he was young. Changed to teats that mimic breastfeeding seem to drink better with those

Having the same issue!!! He did take a few bottles in October but screams blue murder now. Feeling a bit frustrated and restricted by it.......

My DS never ever took a bottle from me. Ever. He struggled and fought against everyone else too or it spilled everywhere when he was drinking it. Turns out he had a severe lip tie that stopped him latching on to the bottles. oops:blush:

Anywho, with DD i just used to give her a bottle of cooled boiled water to play with during the day so she got used to having the texture in her mouth and it was fun. I actually didn't have any problems with her taking a bottle once we stuck with one teat (MAM) and did this technique. She still prefers BF but will take a bottle from everyone else any ol time:happydance:

We always found success with MAM, NUK or the medela calma teat-that's especially made for breastfed babies.

My DS took an expressed bottle no problem at 4-6 weeks but then we started to give it less regularly and he refused or screamed throughout! We have just about got him back onto taking them without too much fuss now.
The only advice I have is persistence. I pump every morning and he gets a bottle every evening to keep up the practice and so he remembers good technique. We use Tommie tippee bottles at first then changed to NUK but recently went back to Tommie tippee and that seems to have worked - maybe he thinks they are the lesser of two evils! Also my OH offers the bottle long before he gets to the crying hunger stage as he is more likely to take it if he's not stressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->