My experience with tubal ligation (so far)

minties

Complete
Reaction score
I known it hasn't been very long since the procedure, so maybe things will change. But all I come across are negative stories, and so far mine has been positive. Our family is totally complete, and while I did have a few moments of "was this the right thing to do", I'm happy I had the tubal.

My history - my period started at age 12, and was never regular. I could have months go by and not have one. They were always light. We had unprotected sex for 8 years before we had Thomas -sometimes we were trying, sometimes not.

I had my tubal during my last c-section with Emma, so almost 14 months ago. I heard a lot of stories about super heavy periods, missing periods, long periods, irregular unpredictable cycles, hormonal problems/super bad PMS, random or excessive pain/cramping, shrunken ovaries from lack of blood supply etc.

I got my first PP period at 10 months, and it was fine. Then I got another one at 11 months, another at 12 months, and just got another at 13 months. This is the first time in my life that I've had a regular period and I'm all done making babies, kind of ironic!

It lasts 4-5 days and is medium flow, no issues, no pain out of the ordinary, all is well. I've had an ultrasound to check on my uterus 1 year PP (as I had lots of adhesions and had a tear in my uterus at Emma's birth and a slightly prolapsed uterus) and my ovaries were a lovely normal size.

Just thought a positive story out there on the internet wouldn't hurt!

That's fab it's gone well for you.

I got the go ahead and agreed to all the more serious things that could go wrong with the procedure then I read about the hormonal and body changes it can cause. I take badly to any hormonal changes so from that it wasn't a risk worth it.

I also have had my tubes tied (18 months ago) my husband had the snip and it failed and he was having chronic pain.

I have had no hormonal repercussions and have lighter periods now. The internet horror stories do not appear to be an accurate reflection amongst those I know who have had it done. Compared to the issues I had with my copper coil, my sterilisation was and has been a non event.

I'm glad I saw this as I am planning on a TL after this baby, too.

Also- I have a Thomas and an Emma both! <3

Did you have your tubes clipped or cut minties?

I had mine clipped as I had it done as a day case in hospital when my youngest was 17 months. I found it really minor and it was just the anaesthetic that took a while to recover from, a few days? I was caring for my girls who were 1,3 and 5 at the time within 4 days I think? I carried on breastfeeding youngest too and didn’t find it painful.

My husbands vasectomy experience was pretty awful, not the operation, just the stress of the long winded testing process. It took 8 months to confirm failure. He had pain during dtd for a year and pretty much every day if he didn’t ejaculate. Nothing could be done without risking more damage.

I had mine clipped as I had it done as a day case in hospital when my youngest was 17 months. I found it really minor and it was just the anaesthetic that took a while to recover from, a few days? I was caring for my girls who were 1,3 and 5 at the time within 4 days I think? I carried on breastfeeding youngest too and didn’t find it painful.

My husbands vasectomy experience was pretty awful, not the operation, just the stress of the long winded testing process. It took 8 months to confirm failure. He had pain during dtd for a year and pretty much every day if he didn’t ejaculate. Nothing could be done without risking more damage.

What kind of complications was your husband diagnosed with? DH is having his on the 6th of April. I know there are risks, but the risks are lower with V than with tubal.

What kind of complications was your husband diagnosed with? DH is having his on the 6th of April. I know there are risks, but the risks are lower with V than with tubal.

Everything was fine initially and the procedure was straight forward, he had a lot of dull aching which is pretty common, at 4 months the SA came back with dead sperm, then we had to wait 4 weeks, another SA and then live sperm, another 4 weeks and dead and finally he had a live test and showed definitely healed on both sides so it had failed. Confirmed on an US a while later at pain clinic too.

He had pain during sex and awful pain if he didn’t ejaculate daily pretty much for over a year after the procedure. He still gets pain some days - it was the depressing lack of options that was distressing. No one is really willing to try and do anything to help with the pain and basically the response was ‘you knew the risks’

Post vasectomy syndrome is more common than we realised. The tubes and area is so tiny and delicate though that anything to try and help is quite risky.

What we found really hard as a couple was waiting for the all clear and also the pressure around the semen analysis. It really impacted on our marriage for a while, and then the pain issue and the association with needing to ejaculate to eliviate pain was miserable.

I would never scaremonger about getting the snip but I think it’s taken lightly and I certainly didn’t know about the incidence of pain.

Wikipedia link on the subject
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-vasectomy_pain_syndrome

1-2% of men having chronic pain that effects their life seems to be what I was reading about on forums at the height of the issues.

We were just very unlucky. The surgeon that did my husbands had done 3000 and his was the first failure.

I hope DH doesn't develop any serious pain issues. We definitely aren't taking it lightly, we have considered other options such as IUD and tubal ligation, and both agreed that a vasectomy was the lowest risk option for both avoiding future pregnancies and the risk of the procedure.

I will admit though, almost EVERY thing I've read online is "it was a pretty simple procedure" to "recovery lasted 6 to 7 weeks, but ultimately it wasn't bad". I think I've read one bad account (aside from yours) but I was reading men's accounts on bodybuilding forums mostly. I was looking for men's experiences.

DH met with the urologist without me, I'm not sure what they discussed but he is ready to go through with the procedure. I'm his wife as far as making the decision with him, but I am trying not to micromanage his procedure because I wanted him to be the one to meet with the doctor and decide, you know? That said, I'm stocking up on frozen peas and corn, buying him supportive underwear, and making sure I have help with the kids for the whole weekend, so I am doing a lot of micromanaging....

I don’t think many men go onto forums to chat about it, there are specific post V forums, with a lot of wives and girlfriends posting! I think the stat is 2% having pain after 12 months and 1% or just under having pain that affects their lives long term. It’s a procedure based on scar tissue forming, it’s going to affect some people differently.

I had an iud before and obviously we decided snip was the logical first step after we decided our family trait we complete. Odds are it’ll be fine for your dh. Definitely don’t let the kids climb all over him though for a while. Good luck to you both!

I actually don't have a clue how my tubes were done, at the time Emma was rushed off as she wasn't breathing, I didn't think to ask (no say in the how, or who, as it was under the public health system in New Zealand). I must apply for my hospital notes and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->