My extremely positive induction after previous traumatic delivery

xprincessx

Mum to 5 beauties <3
Reaction score
Hi everyone

My DD is 12 months old and only now am I (bothering) getting round to writing my birth story :wacko:

It all started at about 38 weeks when after weeks of back and forth to the hospital for presentation scans I was admitted to hospital with unstable lie. My daughter kept on switching from transverse to cephalic and when cephalic she was still extremely high up so they were concerned if my waters were to have broken at home then the cord could prolapse.

On the 2nd day of being in hospital I had a consultant doctor come round to see me, I convinced him to induce me when baby was next head down and after he did a vaginal examination he said he would be prepared to do this and I would be booked for the next day to have an induction. That evening my bloods were taken and I was all prepped with information of what would happen. They were going to try to do a controlled rupture of the membranes in theatre because where she was still slightly too high they didn't feel comfortable doing it in an ordinary hospital room.

The next day came...and went. Apparently there had been a rush of ladies in labour so would happen the next day instead...alas, it did not. This carried on every day for a week when, finally, a midwife came up to the ward and told me there was a midwife and a room and to pack my stuff and go. My husband was rushing so much to pack everything we ended up leaving my soap behind :rofl:

We got down to the labour room and the midwife there was lovely and introduced herself. I had another midwife come in and put a canula in me just incase I required a crash c-section if the membrane rupture went wrong. Unfortunately, she slipped and my blood spurted out across the room! I ended up nearly fainting and my husband had to wet my head with a flannel while the other midwife used a cardboard sick bucket to fan me :haha:

Finally it was time to walk down to the theatre room...it brought back horrendous memories. I walked into the same theatre room that my son, almost 5 years previously, almost died in. It was horrible and made me feel so scared. My husband was not allowed in because of the risk of the crash c-section so he was waiting in labour room. I had a different dr to the one that had examined me up on the ward and she examined me on the operating table and then told me she had to have a think. After a few minutes she told me that she was not comfortable with doing the procedure because it was highly likely the cord would prolapse with the position my DD was in. I was quietly relieved tbh because I was terrified of the whole thing. She said instead I would be given a pessary and then if that helped to bring her deeper into my cervix then I would have my waters broken.

I was terrified all over again, I was induced with my son via this method and I envisaged the same kind of birth. I waddled back into the labour room and explained to my DH what was going to happen. A few hours went by waiting because there had been a couple of serious emergencies and the midwife needed a dr to sign the presciption for the pessary to be given to me. By this point I had a new midwife as the other midwife had been an agency who was called away to an emergency at a different hospital. Eventually I was given the pessary, I think this was at about 11pm. I was told I would be checked 6 hours from then and if the pessary hadn't worked I would be given another.

Within 1 hour from being given the pessary I started to get some very slight period like pains. I was left alone by the midwife with just my husband for the majority of the time, which I definitely preferred. I was checked about 6am in the end and was told my DD's head had come down enough for my waters to be broken. Thankfully they were able to be broken in the labour room but there was still a slight risk of cord prolapse so the dr had to do it very slowly which meant he had to have 2 fingers blocking the hole he had just made into my amniotic sack while slowly unplugging the water...it was absolute agony but I refused the gas and air because I wanted it to be more effective later on.

Withing about 10 minutes of my waters breaking I got into the bath because by now I was having quite a few stronger period pains (although still nothing horrible). The midwife came in and said she had spoken to the dr in charge and he wanted me put on the syntocinon drip immediately due to how long I was in labour for before and they didn't want a repeat of that. So, I had to get out of the bath and get on the bed and hooked up to the drip. Almost immediately I got very intense contractions, I was coping with just breathing until a very strong contraction took me by surprise. I started weeping to my husband telling him I wouldn't be able to do it without an epidural, I felt like a failure because I desperately wanted to avoid an epidural and I just knew I couldn't do it. He was trying to be encouraging telling me I would be fine and even the midwife butted in at that point and told him that very few women will get by on syntocinon without an epidural because it is so full on very quickly. She suggested a vaginal examination and we would decide from there. I was extremely surprised when she told me I was 6cm/easily stretched to a 7cm.

I felt so happy and empowered knowing that I had gotten so far without any form of pain relief. At this point I opted for the gas and air. For me, gas and air does not take away any pain at all but it does help me focus my breathing and stops me from freaking out and breathing in a panicked way. I ended up kneeling over the bed as they put a clip on DD's head because her trace kept going off and they wanted me as upright as possible so gravity would do its thing. I told them I had an insane urge to push and that I couldn't stop my body from doing it. By this point I had a lovely student midwife in the room with me and she examined me and told me I wasn't quite fully dilated but I could not stop my body. The trained midwife told me to give a little push and the student would see if she could feel something. So, I began pushing and I started to feel her crowning, it was the worst pain I had ever experienced. I shouted out that my vagina was burning :blush: and screamed at the midwife asking how much longer. :blush: :haha: (it turns out it hurt so much because DD's arm came out with her head)

DH was watching DD crowning and started gasping and asking the midwife "Is that all hair?" :rofl: he told me later on he had initially thought it was loads of blood :dohh:

After about 2 minutes of pushing DD came into the world screaming (My DS did not cry at birth and was barely breathing) :cloud9:

DH was able to cut the cord and I was given DD to hold immediately. It was the most fantastic birth I could have asked for and I am so very blessed. Just hope my experience in the next month or so is just as lovely.

I thought baby #3 had arrived then when I saw this!

Congratulations hun! :)

Congratulations! This gives me a more positive outlook since I might need to be induced on Saturday 10th and absolutely terrified..

Oh my goodness, I can't believe he's 7 months old already!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->