My Fabulous Midwife!

HayleyJA

Mum to April and Esther
Reaction score
I just wanted to take 5 minutes to 'big up' my midwife as it were, hopefully giving a bit of reassurance to some that things aren't always a fight....

I'm 40 weeks pregnant today. I transferred into this PCT (Portsmouth) at 34 weeks from Swindon. I attempted a homebirth last time but was transferred due to 'failure to progress'; in actual fact I had progressed to fully dilated, but baby had her cord in her hand at the side of her head which prevented an easy delivery.

Anyway, this time once again, I'd like a homebirth. I met my midwife at home for a booking appointment and told her my plans - all very positive, completely on my wave length that an 'estimated due date' was just that - estimated, and the fact I didn't want any VE's throughout labour, and she saw no reason why things wouldn't go to plan. Excellent.

This fab care has continued throughout and to my appointment this week when, being nearly at term I asked her to clarify the protocol of this PCT with regards to sweep/induction, just so that things weren't sprung on me at my next appointment. Her responses were as follows:

- Being a multip, I'd be 'allowed' a sweep at 40 weeks, but she'd always suggest waiting until 40+7 as being told you're miles away from labour can do more harm than good.
- 40 weeks is only an estimate; why not give the baby more of a chance to come of its own accord.
- Sweeps can be uncomfortable so if I wanted one, she'd suggest she came to my home. For this reason she's pencilled me in her last clinic appointment next week, leaving me to decide whether I go to the GP's (no sweep) or text her and she come here (sweep.) As yet I'm undecided and hope babe will make herself known before I need to decide.
- Inductions would generally be booked for 40+12 going by scan dates not LMP. For me, this 'gives me' an extra day. She also took on board my comments about my knowing when I ovulated, and on the back of all of this said:
- Given everything you've said, and given the fact consent is required for everything we do, I'd advise that expectant management would be a more appropriate pathway for you, whereby baby is monitored, daily if necessary, to ensure all is well, allowing her to make her own entrance into the world.

I almost fell off my seat! To receive such a positive response, when I hadn't even explicitly requested information on it was a breath of fresh air, and I left the surgery almost skipping to my car. She really understands me and the care pathway I want to take, and having this support has given me even more confidence.

I just thought I'd share a positive story with you all. :thumbup:

Wow! She sounds fab! Mine is brilliant too, but unfortunately they seem to be in the minority.

Oh that's brilliant! I live just outside Portsmouth in Horndean so it a nice read - and happy story in my area! :)
Good luck, I hope everything goes as you wish :)

Nice to hear positives for once!
Hope all goes as you wish
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe