My furry babies wont suffocate my new baby!!!!!!!

taperjeangirl

Reaction score
Tsk..... rant ahead!!!!

Ever since I fell pregnant all i have had from old wifies and young is that I had better watch my cats with the baby as they will suffocate it and steal it's milk.
God, these people are stuck in the dark ages, it has really been upsetting me because at one point I was thinking about sending my babies to stay with my mum til the baby had grown up a little bit but that would break my heart :cry:

So when I came home from work today I checked online to see if this suffocating thing was true and it seems it stems from an old wives tale that cats steal your breath while you sleep :dohh:

I know that I will have to keep an eye on them to stay out of the babies bed and away from bottles and stuff but I don't really think they will be that interested in the new baby!
One of them is so lazy he waits to be carried up the stairs so he wont be using any energy to jump into cots/prams etc!
and the other is a bit of a paranoid wreck (he had a bump on the head when he was little from a car so he's not really right) and he is scared of EVERYTHING!!!

I get angrier and angrier every time someone else says it, I think i might have to say something the next time soemone says it!

I know I am overreacting, I think I am just angry at myself for even considering sending my boys away :cry:

People don't half talk some shit! Tell 'em where to go!

I got this too, especially earlier on in my pregnancy. Some of it is because my cats are very very attached to me and my family thinks they'll be jealous (which I'm sure they will but they will adjust). And obviously I won't be leaving my baby alone with the cats, the cats won't be going into the baby's room. I've just flat out told everyone I'm not getting rid of them! I wouldn't have bothered getting the two cats in the first place (they are only 1 and 2 years old) if I was just going to give them away when we had children!

Ha ha i got told this by my mum, but i did believe her, i dont think though you can leave any baby with animals. Not that it means you have to get rid of them though, i wont be leaving my dogs anywhere near my baby you just dont know what they will do. I dont think you should listen though, maybe just try to laugh at them ha ha!! Who cares what people think, old wives tales kinda take over :)

All you really need too do is make sure they ain't in the same room as the baby at night just too be on the safe side cause my cousins cat often jamp in the cot with her baby and lay at the bottom of the cot (never went near the babies face as far as we know)

xx

I've had this from my mum too. my cat's are 10 and 6, and I wouldn't dream of getting rid of them. I think they'll still be too attatched to me to even bother about a baby (as long as there's some space for them to lay on me too)

Although I have looked into a net to go over the cot whilst it's in my room, just to make sure they don't jump in with baby...

Em

awww i have two cats and i'm not worried when the baby it first born it will be in you bed room so its easy to keep the cats out of there, and who leaves a new born on its own anyway, people are so silly sometime they need to get over themself, if your happy dont let anyone get u down, i'm a cat person all the way and i would never get rid of them

I got told all sorts of things like that. We have 4 cats and a dog (who happens to be an American Pit Bull Terrier mix). Every time the in-laws come over or talk to DH they ask if we've gotten rid of our pets yet. Just NOT going to happen. We got this stuff called ssscat to keep the cats out of the nursery https://www.ssscat.com/english/index.html
It works really well. The first day we opened the door and put the stuff in the doorway it went off about 25 times as they tried to get in....it's been a few days now and they haven't even tried again. Same with the dog...works great on her too. There's no way my cats would suffocate the LO...and the things I hear about my dog...sheesh. People are ignorant!

There's no way I'd ever get rid of my cat (or dog for that matter :lol:) I love them both to bits and admittedly they might find it a bit hard to get used to the baby at first but I know they'll be fine over time.

Like someone else said, we're gonna get a net that covers the cot when the baby is in our room so our cat can't get in the cot with the baby.

xx

if you do want to scare the people that are saying it to you though, tell them that you'd give the baby away before the cats. it shut my mum up.. lol.

although i would never give up any.

E

I know we have 2 fluffies and they come to bed the same time we do , but from next month we are going to start kicking them out of the bedroom(weaning) so that when the baby comes they wont be so upset at us kicking them out and having competion for affection with the baby Im dreading it they are just going to sit outside our door and meow for ages:cry::cry:

I know we have 2 fluffies and they come to bed the same time we do , but from next month we are going to start kicking them out of the bedroom(weaning) so that when the baby comes they wont be so upset at us kicking them out and having competion for affection with the baby Im dreading it they are just going to sit outside our door and meow for ages:cry::cry:

Aaawwww we did that last week with ours :cry:
It's not good, i think it is bothering me more than them though, because they just sleep on the couch but I am finding it hard to sleep without them at the bottom of the bed xxx

if you do want to scare the people that are saying it to you though, tell them that you'd give the baby away before the cats. it shut my mum up.. lol.

although i would never give up any.

E

hehe this i will be trying :muaha:

I so know what you are talking about. People have been asking me: "So what are you going to do about your cats when the baby comes?".
We're going to feed them, scratch them, cuddle them, play with them and love them, that's what we're going to do!

We have two cats and they usually sleep with us. One of them was abandoned and found sick in the street before he came to us, and took a long time to recover from an emotional mess, scared of everything and very sad, to the most loving, cuddly furball. But he needs a lot of physical closeness to feel safe and ok, so it will be very hard to kick him out of the bedroom and make him sleep alone :( ... Not sure how he will cope and worried that he will start feeling insecure again...

And you know how much cats love closed doors! If we close the bedroom door, it will be *scratch, scratch, scratch* until it's opened again. Hummm....

Oh my god I get this too! Ive got two beautiful cats and wouldnt dream of getting rid of them.
My nan actually said to me 'Would you rather get rid of your cats or let your baby be killed by them?' I burst into tears! One of my cats lives outside and literally only comes in to eat and the other one is as soft as they come, she spends all day in her little bed so I really cant see how they pose a risk to my LO.

It really upsets me the comments people make about this, im sure im not the first pregnant woman who wont give up my cats and I certainly wont be the last!

Dont worry about it,ive 3 cats at the mo,and kittens on the way.Theres no way id get rid of my cats for anything,i know 2 of my cats wont even be interested in the baby but the 3rd 1 my latest stray i wouldnt trust as ive seen her try an get into a friends car seat its a case of just dont leave the cats alone with the baby in our case.I dont think people realise how much our animals mean to us.I have 2 parrots as well which people comment on having around when baby comes,stuff them all i say

What a load of twaddle! :hissy:

It's been proven (don't ask me to quote mind) that babies and children that grow up with animals not only develope a stronger immune system making them less likely to develope athsma and/or animal related allergies, but they also tend to be happier and less prone to childhood depression. :happydance:

Oh yes it is a fact. I heard it on the news. :blush:

Also if you don't make a big deal out of it with your animals then they wont either. I've got 2 Cats and a Dog and the most I had to deal with was Moomin getting a bit stressy and marking a bit. I got her an electric pheromone difuser and she's been fine ever since and Charlie absolutely adores them all.

Silly superstisious nonsense. :p

Ive also got cats, and i've had the same questions 'what are you going to do with the cats?' 'won't they get jealous and attack the baby?' etc etc.

I wil NOT get rid of my cats, they are part of our family and i love them to bits. I stopped letting the cats sleep in our room a while ago, they have their own bed/space at night so i dont have to worry about them getting too close to the little one when im asleep. I wont let them in the nursery either, once baby is in his/her own room.

I think its just a case of using common sense, and being carefull. No child or baby should be left alone with an animal-but then again we shouldnt really be leaving babies alone in an unsafe place.

Ignore the comments, as annoying/upsetting as they can be. Im ignoring them all now!

keely.x

I have just got two cats and they are lovely with my 4 year old and i know i will have to watch them when LO arrives but thats common sense don't listen to anyone telling you to get rid xxx

My mother-in-law and my Nan tag-teamed me about my cats. I got fed up with them refusing to listed to anything I had to say, so I ended the conversation with a sarcastic remark about just sticking the baby on the floor to sleep as my cats don't like to sleep on the floor.

Now anytime people offer me unsolicited, out-of-date advice I end the conversation quickly with a sarcastic remark about not giving a rats ar*e about the baby's welfare (ie 'No, we aren't going to test the milk on our elbow or wrist- we're going to microwave the bottle on high and give it right to the baby- toughen him up', etc.

It really does shut them up. Generally. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->