• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

My growth scan didn't go as expected!

o0oCharlieo0o

Reaction score
Went for a consultant appointment yesterday and they decided they wanted me to have a GTT as I have PCOS and I'm overweight, so I had that yesterday (luckily I hadn't eaten or drank before my appointment!!) but I was measuring 32cm so consultant wanted me to have a growth scan to check if they baby was a bit big, so I had my growth scan today I'm 28+5 and they are saying baby is too small!!! I was really worried got sent across to assessment and they want me to have another scan in 3 weeks to check if baby is still too small, when I got out of the hospital however I looked through my notes and it shows baby is estimated 2lb 9oz, at 28 weeks I didn't think that was small at all? More average? So that's confused me really.

Yeah that sounds pretty on track... How big do they say baby is supposed to be at this point? All my pregnancy apps have told me that baby is supposed to be about 2.5 lbs this week and I'm 29 weeks...

They didn't say what baby should be they have plotted baby at just under the 10th centile though on my growth chart :/

Sounds like they're talking about some of the measurements but not weight. I think they look at head, belly, legs, etc so some of those measurements might be low. I would ask your Dr. :hugs: I hope everything is back on track at your next scan!

I have a pic of the scan report it shows weight at low end :/ head seems to be fine

image.jpg

Interesting! Sorry, was just guessing.

I'm wondering since if they are saying baby is small for how big you are measuring. It looks like your report says that your dates say that you're 28 + 4 with an EDD of 12.12, but the report says EDD by ultrasound would be 11.12 which would bring you close to 33 weeks. The baby might be developmentally ahead, but small for size. That's how my son was, at 41+3 he was born at a tiny 6lbs 12 oz and 18.5 inches. He's just always been such a little guy, but was perfectly healthy in every way

It looks like your report says that your dates say that you're 28 + 4 with an EDD of 12.12, but the report says EDD by ultrasound would be 11.12 which would bring you close to 33 weeks.

If she's in Europe they put day before month, so I think 11.12.15 means December, 11 2015.

oh lol disregard my post then hahaha! I guess you learn something new everyday :D

That's odd! I had a growth scan last Thursday at 29+4 and she was measured at 2 lbs 10 oz. The doctor and tech both said that's perfect for her gestational age.

I had a growth scan at 28 weeks on the nose and he was measuring 2lbs 10oz and they said he was in the 55th percentile and measuring just right. If I were you, I would ask them to explain it to you and show you a chart, because it seems like they are wrong.

I had a scan last week and twin 1 was 2lb 7oz and twin 2 was 2lb 11oz. I was told they are above average for twins but just right for singletons? Maybe they made an error :/

I think it may be down to baby measurements hun weight seems pretty average to me but looking on your notes the abdomenal is low and femur length is also low so they may want to monitor that, I wouldn't worry as long as baby is OK that's all that matters I think they has certain guide lines they have to follow the main thing is they are monitoring baby

I have to be monitored due to having big babies so I'm always up and down I have a growth scan in 2 weeks to see how big baby is, my midwife measured me and I'm measureing 28cm and I feel baby really high up so I know baby is big but how big is what is scarring me

I don't really get it either..! Looking at the pic of your scan report and the one from mine at 27+5 (pic attached), the measurements on mine are smaller and estimated weight is lower but they classed it as normal and weren't concerned about him being Small for Dates at all.
I'm also being rescanned next week (not because of that, it was arranged anyway) so will be interesting to see what they say then but it does seem a bit OTT that they think your LO is small :-/ especially if the actual rate of baby's growth is steady and hasn't slowed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 18
Is it because the growth charts are now personalised? Or mine is anyway. So the baby isn't small per se but it's small because it's your baby and is on the 10th centile, if that makes sense.
My baby was 2lb12 at 29 weeks and they said that was right on track

Is it because the growth charts are now personalised? Or mine is anyway. So the baby isn't small per se but it's small because it's your baby and is on the 10th centile, if that makes sense.
My baby was 2lb12 at 29 weeks and they said that was right on track

Yes I think this is what it is, it's all personal now and they said my first baby was small, he was 7lb 6oz! I wouldn't call that small, so they are basing it on my bigger babies I reckon, my daughter was 8lb 4oz and my second son was 9lb 6.5oz, so really you would think they would realise I have babies of all sizes lol

I got told that on the growth scan, your lines go higher up by 25% for 2nd and 3rd babies. Then stay the same for any babies after that. As they presume your babies will be bigger 2nd and 3rd time round.
I was questioning the graphs as my baby is also measuring small and I have to have weekly scans and had steroids at 28 weeks.

I wonder if it is more to do with the AC being low. I found my weight estimates with my twins ended up being way off. My girls AC measured higher on the charts so the they estimated her weight to be much higher than she actually was. My boys AC was lower than the rest of him was measuring at and they really under estimated his weight. AC growth being lower on the charts than other measurements can sometimes indicate a problem with the cord. My DS had dangerously low liquor levels and slowed abdominal growth but perfect cord flow.

I thought 2lb 8oz wasnt a bad weight. I do not have any charts or measurements from last time but I remember them saying DD was 2lb 5oz at 28+6 and they were perfectly happy. DS measured (by their dodgy estimates) 1lb 12oz at 28+6. He ended up weighing more at birth.

This baby was estimated to be 2lb 14oz at 28+3 and that was charted on the 75th percentile. This one has an AC measurement on a higher percentile than all other measurements just like DD was so wondering if they have over estimated this ones weight too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->