My hcg is 36.6-am I pregnant?

jessicaandron

Reaction score
My period is 4 days late. Two days ago I took a pregnancy test (digital) at about 6 pm and got a positive. We have been trying for 7 months so we were VERY excited. We went to the store to get another test to confirm and it came back negative. I took it about an hour after the first. I couldn't believe it so I tried a 3rd time an hour later. Negative again. I waited until yesterday morning to try again and it was again negative. I called the doctor and he sent me for blood work. When I called for the results today, they said my level is 36.6, but they would not confirm or deny if I am pregnant. They said that my hormones could just be off and my period may still come. I have to wait until next week for another blood test, but I am SO anxious! Does anyone know what this hcg level means? I have never gotten a positive test before (and I heard false positives are rare) and my period has never been this late...

Hi Jessica, I am by no means an expert, that level is low but then you would expect it to be low if you are only 4 days late. I have a bad feeling tho that it could be a chemical pregnancy due to the fact that you had a positive then it went to negatives which would suggest your levels are getting lower. Thus happened to me recently, new years day I got a positive, a week later nada I tried several tests and all negative, then a couple of days later I started bleeding. Quite often an egg will will be fertilised which will start to produce hormones, which get picked up on a test but then the egg fails to implant.

As I said I'm definitely no expert but this is what it sounds like, I'm sorry I can't reasure you.

Take care x

Really hope you get good results but it sounds to me like a chemical pregnancy where your levels decrease resulting in a negative.
Fingers crossed! x

I've heard about chemical pregnancies, but since the tests were only hours apart, I thought maybe it's just to early to get all positives.

I would say that you took the tests too close together, you need to be waiting around four hours from the last time you went for a wee.

36.6 is within the normal range (above 17) and anything over 5 is pregnant x

if the level is 36.6 that is a pregnancy, but they are probably a bit on the cautious side of saying as they wont be able to know if its rises or falling by one blood test, I would suggest having another blood done to clarify if the numbers are doubling. hope you get your lil bun in the oven. :thumbup:

Anything above 25 is considered definitely pregnant. I'm sorry to say though as the other ladies suggested, you might be having a chemical pregnancy but you never know. FX for you dear, keep us updated.

Are there signs I can look for before my next blood test to know if its a chemical pregnancy? I haven't had any spotting or cramping. Im hoping that's good?

I've heard some tests don't show positive under 50 and that the digital tests are usually less sensitive, so im thinking of testing again in a couple days. The week wait for blood results just seems so long:)

Are there signs I can look for before my next blood test to know if its a chemical pregnancy? I haven't had any spotting or cramping. Im hoping that's good?

I've heard some tests don't show positive under 50 and that the digital tests are usually less sensitive, so im thinking of testing again in a couple days. The week wait for blood results just seems so long:)

I had a chemical two weeks ago, as soon as the bleeding started(even before I knew I was miscarrying), I felt like all my pregnancy symptoms were gone and that I was on my period. I had AF like cramps, that's it. So, what kind of flow are you having? What color blood? Still having pregnancy symptoms?

I've had no bleeding at all. On saturday (4 days before my positive result) I had some brown spotting. I'm wondering if that was implantation. I've seen nothing since except this morning I saw a little brown/pink when I wiped. I'm hoping that's not a sign of things to come. No cramps really. Still little symptoms like tender breasts, backache, headache last night, tired. No morning sickness yet.

That is definitely pregnant. HCG levels can vary so much in early pregnancy (depends on the exact date of implantation, your starting HCG levels, etc)- usually the doctor should send you for two blood tests, spaced about 3 days apart so that they can see if levels are going up and doubling.
You should definitely get another blood test, that HCG number is fine as long as it is doubling every 72 hours or so.... if it isn't going up then it can mean a MC or ectopic preg.
Good luck :)

I don't have anything to add from what everybody else said but I wanted to wish you lots of luck <3 x

Thank you:) I've been reading about levels in the hundreds and thousands so I was getting very confused. And the receptionist at my doctor's was making it seem like it was very low and that I could actually have that level without being pregnant...which doesnt make sense to me how that would be possible.

I always thought getting pregnant was the main concern, but now I see actually staying pregnant is more important!!

No one can say its a chem from what u have said so try not to worry about that. Hpt are sometimes unreliable. One blood test can tell u whether ur pregnant but like a pp said without a second test its impossible to make any conclusions about the status of the pregnancy. If u implanted 6 days ago (I think I worked that out right from ur previous posts) and just say ur non pregnant hcg was 5 then it wud be about 40 after 6 days so that wud be about right. The levels are low but thats because its early, go back for more blood tests and see where it goes from there fx its doubled or more. Keep us updated.

Oh and congrats xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->