My hilarious birth of Olivia Marie 7/21/10

Croc-O-Dile

Reaction score
On July 19th I was sitting in bed when I got a sharp, stabbing pain. I couldn't move and it took my breath away. 10 minutes later I got it again.
We had figured out a week or so prior to this that I was not feeling my contractions when I had them. I went in to be monitored because we thought my back waters were leaking (they weren't) but I had a few HUGE contractions that I should have felt, but didn't.
Since then I had been monitoring my contractions by how tight my bump was. I could feel when it got tight and when it released, but this was obviously not the best method of timing contractions.
But when I went to time these my bump never softened. It was hard as a rock and stayed that way.
That night I went up to L&D to be monitored again and I was having contractions every 5 minutes and still couldn't feel them. My MW wanted them to keep me overnight since she felt I'd go into active labor by morning, but the nurse sent me home because she was convinced they were just BH. After my discharge papers went through, my MW explained to her that they were real contractions and that I honestly couldn't feel them. Whether that be because I'm a freak of nature or my daughter was laying on a nerve we'll never know.
They figured I'd be back that night, but if not I had a MW appt set up the next day at 1:30pm.

On July 20th I woke up still having contractions every 5 minutes, but they were a little tighter than normal. I didn't think I would make it to my appt, but I did. The whole office was really surprised to see me because they all thought I would have had her in the night. But when she checked me I was still only 1.5cm dilated so we went and booked my induction for the 22nd.
On the way home I wanted hot wings SOOO bad, so we stopped and got some hot wings from a pizza place by my grandparents house, since that's where my brothers were staying incase they wanted to admit me at my appt. We ended up staying at my grandparents for a bit while I ate my hot wings. We were getting ready to leave when I started having a contraction.....AND I FELT IT! :shock:
I was laying on the floor, back hunched to lessen the pain, and gasping, "HOLY SHIT, I FEEL IT! I FREAKING FEEL IT!" :haha: As odd as it was, I was really excited to finally be able to feel my contractions.
We started timing them and they were 4 minutes apart. We called my MW who told me to go down to L&D.
On our ride over they started getting closer together and hurting a lot worse. My mom kept trying to talk to me through my contractions, which was making me hurt worse trying to answer her. So I finally told her, "Stop talking! I'm trying to have a contraction here!" :dohh:
When I got there and was hooked up I was having them every 3 minutes and they were unbearable. My mom, who was my birth partner, kept telling me to breathe with every contraction, and I kept telling her that I was breathing, just not loudly. The pain got the best of me because I told her I was going to punch her in the mouth next time she told me to breathe. :blush: She understood it was the pain, as she just laughed at me and said, "Okay, okay."

They hooked me up to an IV, which took 3 tries to get right! The nurse, who was an absolute sweetheart, told me the anesthesiologist wouldn't be able to get to me for another hour and a half to two hours. So in the mean time she gave me morphine through my IV. It hit me almost instantly and I was flying high after that. I recall my mom telling me that I was having a contraction and just saying, "Yeah, I know. Can you hand me my ice?"
They checked me around 3:30 and I was 3cm dilated. The anesthesiologist who was supposed to be there in almost 2 hours showed up 20 minutes later. :dohh: So I had morphine and an epidural working at the same time.

I couldn't feel anything, which was awesome. I was talking about nonsense the whole time and said some pretty hilarious things during active labor. At one point the pulseox meter fell off my toe and I started panicking saying, "Oh noo! Hurry up! Put it back on me before they think I'm dead!" :haha:

They came in and broke my water some time between 6-11pm (time seemed to be all messed up in the hospital) and I was 6cm dilated. They had trouble breaking my water since there was much in the front, it was all in the back and I was already leaking from the front. When they broke my water though they cut her head because they didn't realize exactly how low she was. :nope: Luckily there wasn't any real damage aside from a small cut.
A bit after 1am I started feeling like I was going to pee myself every time I had a contraction, and at this point I started feeling pressure. I thought my morphine was just wearing off, but I was in fact 10cm dilated!

The nurse came in and we began to push. I don't make faces when I push, I just look around and count in my head. So they thought I wasn't pushing, but I was. And then in between pushes I was watching some movie with Denzel Washington where he was shooting up taxi cabs. :wacko: I kept telling them to change the channel because I didn't want to give birth to this. :haha:
And then I said my famous labor quote, as my feet are pushed up at my face and I'm starting at my chipped silver toe nail polish, "You know, I wish I had painted my toes first." I was super serious, but everybody else laughed at me. And right before that final push I said, laughing, "I know she'll be out in the next couple pushes, but I still feel like I have all the time in the world before she's born." :rofl:

It took only an hour to push her out with only 1 first degree inner labia tear. So at 2:43am on July 21st I gave birth, laughing, to my beautiful baby girl Olivia Marie Rowe. :cloud9:

aww sounds like a lovely story hun, pretty funny about the toes though hahaha x

Got to agree-lovely story :D I Hope i'm laughing when my LO arrives. I might fake laugh anyways as it sounds beautiful :haha: I also hope i don't feel my contractions! What was it like having an epidural?..xx

Got to agree-lovely story :D I Hope i'm laughing when my LO arrives. I might fake laugh anyways as it sounds beautiful :haha: I also hope i don't feel my contractions! What was it like having an epidural?..xx

I didn't feel my epidural at all! That was partially because I had morphine and partially because he gave me an injection of this numbing stuff first. :thumbup:
Although after all the drugs wore off it was kind of uncomfortable. I wouldn't say it was painful, but it certainly wasn't the most comfy thing. The sticky paper hurt worse than the epidural.

thankyou for that lovely story it made me chuckle a few times! hope the cut has healed up for her now, welcome to the world Olivia!

its always nice to hear a positive birth story, especially when there are so many nightmare stories out, my dd was not that painful at all as in my ds's birth was rather panicky but thats because his heart rate dropped and there was docs looking at me from every angle! lol

fairydreams :flower:

Awwww lovely birth story - everyone makes it sound like such a blooming walk in the park :haha:
how long were you in labour forrr?
xxxx

Thanks everyone :hugs:

Alex, my labor was a walk in the park! I've learned a very valuable lesson; If and when I have more children I want morphine and an epi! :haha:
I was in labor from the 19th-21st, but only in "active labor" for about 9 hours and then I pushed for an hour.

Congratulations on the beautiful little girl. And I'll remember to keep my toes painted in case I go into labor soon. :rofl:

Congratulations on the beautiful little girl. And I'll remember to keep my toes painted in case I go into labor soon. :rofl:

You'll be staring at them the whole time, might as well make sure they're pretty! :winkwink:

Congratulations again!! I loved your birth story! It sounded great!
And I'm sorry they cut Livi's head. :(

:happydance: xx

lol the Danzel washington part made me laugh :haha: Thanks for sharing! I hope my birth experience is something like this :thumbup:

congrats on your beautiful bundle of joy!
and congrats to an easy labor! lol.
you got lucky! lol

LOL congrats. I thought the best comment you made was the one about putting the sensor back on before they thought you were dead. hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->