My home birth, no pain relief.

A huge congrats to you..what an awesome birth story, hope you are enjoying your LO!:baby::hugs:

amazing birth story and really well written, had me giggling!

wow no pain relief. well done,. I was screaming for all sorts,.

Thank you all so much
It really was a amazing and now feels slightly surreal!

My tips
  • Don't get excited by early labour, take a panadol and go back to sleep! Being well rested is your friend.
  • Stay active, walk, move, whatever, but gravity is also your bet buddy
  • Eat
  • Water is amazing pain relief, it really is brilliant. Not just sitting in it, have it poured over your lower back
  • There is an amazing acu-pressure point on the sole of your foot that is amazingly helpful during contractions - it got me through transition.
  • Just go with the feelings, they are your friend, they are there to help, don't fight your body - it's a bloody amazing machine!
  • Noise is ok, you want to moan, moan! I used 'i can do this, i can do this' like a mantra. It sounds weird but try to keep your lips/brow relaxed too, I found blowing through my lips helped (like blowing a trumpet) in between my moans of ' I can do this' :haha:
  • Tell your support person what you want, they are not mind readers! If you want to rest tell them, if you want to kneel say so etc etc

I cannot recommend aiming for a home birth enough, it's a wonderful experience, I was very clear it was my 'aim' but was very clear that should anything be amiss or not feel right I was happy to transfer for both my comfort and both our safety.
I think that feeling of having a 'plan' and positivity really helped.

Fantastic summary there Farie! Thank you and big Congrats again x

Thank you all so much

My tips
  • Don't get excited by early labour, take a panadol and go back to sleep! Being well rested is your friend.
  • Eat
  • Water is amazing pain relief, it really is brilliant. Not just sitting in it, have it poured over your lower back
  • There is an amazing acu-pressure point on the sole of your foot that is amazingly helpful during contractions - it got me through transition.
  • Just go with the feelings, they are your friend, they are there to help, don't fight your body - it's a bloody amazing machine!
  • Noise is ok, you want to moan, moan! I used 'i can do this, i can do this' like a mantra. It sounds weird but try to keep your lips/brow relaxed too, I found blowing through my lips helped (like blowing a trumpet) in between my moans of ' I can do this' :haha:
  • Tell your support person what you want, they are not mind readers! If you want to rest tell them, if you want to kneel say so etc etc

I cannot recommend aiming for a home birth enough, it's a wonderful experience, I was very clear it was my 'aim' but was very clear that should anything be amiss or not feel right I was happy to transfer for both my comfort and both our safety.
ou

I had no time for any of that on list. I thought I had wind and went to bed thinking I was fine, 15 mins I was hanging on the bed in pain, went to hospital said to OH bet it was false labour 12 days over and between 11 and 12 am I was flying into labour! by 5am my son was born. Very fast. Didnt get a time for a bath they where making me before I was whisked away to labour ward. I admire you for no pain relief, I didn't get an epi this time i am glad now I didnt as I didnt want one. But they gave me stuff that wasnt even working and I will say I wont do it ever again. I had a c section first time after long labour I thought was bad this time natural and even more sore. All worth it in the end but no pain relief is amazing. You must be made of Iron! :thumbup:

Thank you all so much

My tips
  • Eat

ou

I had no time for any of that on list. I thought I had wind and went to bed thinking I was fine, 15 mins I was hanging on the bed in pain, went to hospital said to OH bet it was false labour 12 days over and between 11 and 12 am I was flying into labour! by 5am my son was born. Very fast. Didnt get a time for a bath they where making me before I was whisked away to labour ward. I admire you for no pain relief, I didn't get an epi this time i am glad now I didnt as I didnt want one. But they gave me stuff that wasnt even working and I will say I wont do it ever again. I had a c section first time after long labour I thought was bad this time natural and even more sore. All worth it in the end but no pain relief is amazing. You must be made of Iron! :thumbup:

LOL def not made of iron! Infact if you ask anyone who knows me they'll all tell you I'm a right wimp :haha:

Wow yours was quick, mine was just over 6h from the point my contractions were 'toe curlingly painful' (m/w's description!) to birthing the placenta, quite fast enough thank you!
Well done for doing it without the epi - great stuff

I will admit if I did it again I'd love the option of gas and air! Even just for crowning - god that hurt!

Do you feel proud of yourself Farie? I have friends telling me I'm brave for even thinking of a homebirth but I don't think it's bravery at all. However I do think when I've homebirth with no pain relief (planning on tens and water) that I'll be very proud of myself.

Ummm I guess so yes, not proud as such, more that my beliefs about honebirth and dealing with pain gave been verified; that I could do it and that the negativity around home birthing is unjustified.
So yes, proud in a way, but sort of proud on behalf of all homebirthers and hopefuls iykwim?

You'll have a wonderful home birth, and you'll be so happy with yourself, for believing you could do it and then doing it! Tens and water will be great (haha not together tho) water is amazing!

Any Q or anything feel free to pm me :flow:

Kiwi Mama - you'll like this group if you have FB

https://www.facebook.com/pages/I-ga...brave-Not-crazy-Just-educated/131874596854586

giving birth at home (or anywhere for that) doesnt require bravery! But I totally agree that the feelings of empowerment that come with a natural / home birth are pretty bloody awesome!

Hey hon

Have been looking for this story, phew finally found it...and oh wow, get you, how amazing! Well done you, I'm so in awe that you went for a home birth for your first. The time with hubby sounds amazing.....huge congrats!!

Right now off to see some more.

Hope you're having a good day

:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back