My home water birth

allaboard

Reaction score
Hey guys, well i did it - i got my home water birth after my struggle to secure one amid the threat of staff shortages.

Theo is a week old today and as cute as anything. Had a 6+ hour labour (not sure when it started, some time after DTD in the wee hours and i realised what i thought were BHs were getting more uncomfortable and frequent). I put on the TENS and OH set up the pool, i rang my parents to let them know I wasn't able to collect DS as planned and that i think things were happening (i still wants sure lol stupid really!)

The MW came out about 8, examined me and i was 4cm, an hour later i was 5cm and ready for the pool, and the G and A! The second MW came not long after. The contractions were more manageable in the pool until of course transition hits and nothing helps lol.

Theo was born at 12.18 in time for lunch on 09.10.11 (cool birthday!) weighing 8lb 6oz (so my dates were right in the end, so much for him being big and a week overdue allegedly - my DS was 8lb 4oz and on time too!) and i have no tears, just had a little graze (and haemorrhoidal issues from hell due to the lip of cervix stubbornly not budging and him sitting on my rear end for ages before MW pushed the last bit out of the way and i changed position to all 4s leaning over the side of the pool). I have to say pushing him out was SOOOOO much better in water than with my first child, when i thought there was not more stretch there was! I'd never contemplate a dry land birth again for that reason! Oh and he came out with the membranes over his face, lucky apparently! I also got the deliver the placenta in the pool as i wanted (i was told antenatally that i'd have to deliver it out of the pool due to the risk of water embolism, which is utter rubbish, never a proven case!).

After about 4 days post-natal i wasn't feeling like i was about to turn inside out when i stood up, and apart from a bit of heaviness still i'm fine. I was up and about straight away however, and have been active and going out from day 2 (unlike my DS1, i was swollen and got an infection so didn't feel human for at least a month!), proof second time is MUCH easier!

Feeding is going OK, his latch isnt the best, and my nips are SORE, but i remember this from last time and am trying to see the longer term! He's very windy, and this is a challenge (DS1 wasn't at all so it's a new one for me!) but he's well cute and i forgive him everything!

If you're unsure whether to have a water birth in home or hospital, do it!

Good luck girls! xxx

Attachments

• IMG_2522.jpg
    IMG_2522.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2544.jpg
    IMG_2544.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2578.jpg
    IMG_2578.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 51
Gorgeous! Congratulations hun he's lovely. I spent a lot of time in the birthing pool when I was in labour last time but didn't actually give birth in there, I'm hoping to go the whole hog this time around :)

Congrats hun i've been looking out for your birth story. It's great that you got the birth you wanted in the end :)

Congratulations on another boy, he's such a cutie :)

Congrats!!!xx

so happy you got the birth you wanted! i love that first picture, so beautiful :)

Congrats hun i've been looking out for your birth story. It's great that you got the birth you wanted in the end :)

Congratulations on another boy, he's such a cutie :)

Oh my God, so you had a little baby too in the time i've been away from here! And a boy too! And the weirdest thing is, the other name i was toying with in the last couple of weeks was Franklin, ACE name. Spooky! Well done sweetie, and when i've got DS1 in bed i'm going to hunt out your birth story! xx

Congratulations hun!! He's absolutely gorgeous!!

Congratulations!! :flower:
Lanconal (sp?) cream for your nipples and nipple shields i found were great with my first son, and Infacol for colic!! (If your UK, not sure otherwise) Best of luck with your family, and mega cool birthday :thumbup: (im hoping for an 11/11/11)

Sounds like a great advert for water birth - I'm really hoping to get one at the hospital. He's a gorgeous baby too! X

Congratulations! I'm so pleased you got your home birth, it's amazing isn't it! :)

Congrats!!! Sounds like it was a great experience for you, I am glad all went smoothly!!!!

Congrats! I love that first pic and he is scrumptuous :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->