my little 1 is constipated

holsx

3rd Trimester
Reaction score
my week old seems 2 b a bit constipated...is this normal?

Hey hols? Is your baby breastfed or bottle fed?

does she seem to be straining? if she doesn't seem like she is straining to go or pushing, etc she might not be constipated.. some babies will go days without going.
If she does seem like she needs to go see if she will drink some water, if not (alot of babies dont like water) get some apple prune flavored baby juice and do like 2oz of water mixed with 1oz of baby juice, or 2oz of water mixed with 2oz of juice; depending on how much you want to give her.
Colton was constipated alot, and still gets that way sometimes. I give him juice everyday and have since he was two weeks old. I've always done half and half with juice and water.

As far as I'm aware they don't consider babies to be constipated unless they haven't had a bowel movement for a week - I would definitely speak to the health visitor - as that was what I was told when I thought my LO was constipated.

he is bottle fed, but cries abit wen he pushes

Ok - defo check with the doc hun.
I just checked my book and it says a little prune juice (but only after 4 months with doc's ok), some water (but only with doc's ok). It says the norm is 1 movement every 3-4 days for bottle fed babies. And baby wouldn't be considered constipated unless poo is hard pellet like or if in pain or bleeding. If the poo is soft then no need to worry.
Sorry can't be of more help.

I think you kinda have to go more by instincts than by the book with constipation. And as you LO gets a little bit older and has regular bowel movements you will know how many times he will go/how often alot better. The first time Colton became constipated, he just hadn't had a bowel movement within 24 hours and it was so hard we had to give him an enema. But I knew he was constipated, because he was straining and crying really hard when he did, and so I took him to the doctor and she checked to make sure before giving it to him.

It is normal for a baby to strain when going for a poo, Jack does every time & his poo is normally a 'paste like' consistency (sorry TMI) He was constipated last week & I read that you have to go by the consistency of the poo & whether the baby is in pain etc, so if baby is passing 'pellet like' movements & are in pain whilst doing so, then they are probably constipated (Jack had all these symptoms & was really fretful too). I gave him 1/2 teaspoon of sugar in 1oz of water twice & that sorted it out by the next day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->