My Perfect Little Girl!!! (Breech C section)

eeyore007

New Mummy to Frances
Reaction score
Frances Finally Here!

Facts:

Breech
Perfect Pregnancy
Born 39 weeks 10th December 2009 10:05 via elective c section
6lb 9oz

Full story!!! (I’m giving as much info as possible on the c section just in case anyone else is about to go through the same x)

As some of you may know I’ve had the most perfect pregnancy with no problems whatsoever, so learning that she was in breech was a bit of a humbug. An additional scan confirmed this, an ecv was attempted, but all to no avail, so a c section was booked for the morning of 10th December.

Was absolutely pooing myself the night before, and although we didn’t tell anyone the date to keep that a surprise, I admitted it on here simply because I needed some help with getting through to the morning because I was so scared. (again, thank-you to everyone here who calmed me down and pointed out in 12 hours ish I would be meeting my little girl)!!

I’m going to try and not miss anything out in case there is someone else who has to go through the same as me, a c section, after really wanting a natural birth.

Anyway, the Thursday morning came. Took the anti acid tablet the night before, nothing to drink or eat from 2am, and woke up at 7 to ring the hospital.

Asked to come in for 8. Drove there, went into delivery suite and met our midwife Jo. She tagged me, put on lovely stockings, checked I’d shaved myself properly and talked us through. One other couple were coming in, so we were hoping we would be first.

Surgeon came in and I asked the things that were bothering me – do they cut the muscles – no, these are pretty much split apart, and yes, they would be careful when cutting through last layer as I had very little liquid.

Anaesthetist came in – she was really lovely – and explained what she would do, and also answered my question that if I felt anything she would have access to stuff to knock me out completely.

Bubba was monitored for a while – all ok.

A trainee midwife came in to have a feel as I was such a perfect example of a frank breech and it was a lady I had met previously with the community midwife, so was lovely to see her again, and to give her experience of such a perfect breech – see – I said I’d had a perfect pregnancy!!

OH was given his stuff to wear, and then Jo came back to let us know we would be first!!

We walked around to the theatre and was full of people. 2 surgeons, Jo ready to take the bubba (that was weird seeing the little tank thing and the bit they put baby into once they are born all ready), there was the anaesthetist we’d already met, a surgeons helper, another nurse and a couple of others.

They bent over backwards to sort out the music – we’d chosen push the button by the chemical brothers as that was what we were listening to when we first started going out – so was nice to hear that in the background. Had borrowed an i-pod, as they don’t do cd’s, but they had problems getting the case of – bless them though, they didn’t start until it was up and running!

They put canular in my wrist (Big ow) then I bent over holding OH’s hand and they put local in back (medium ow) then put spinal in – no pain at all – didn’t even feel it. They then laid me down – can I lift legs – yes – then tried again and it was getting harder and harder. They said they’d put catheter in – I asked when after a while, and they said it was already done! Legs couldn’t move after that at all. They then put the screen up and started to squirt me with freezing cold stuff – could only barely feel it on my boobs, but was freezing on arms.

They then started and anethetist was telling us what was going on. Could see a bit of blood splat on curtain – but felt nothing at all. Through skin, fat, membrane covering muscle cavity, then through to uterus, then slurpy sounds, then she said bum and feet were out. They then pushed at top of tummy and took breath away, but was warned, then baby was born – quick as anything – she went to the baby station thing – OH went with her and took photo’s. I could only just see her with my neck cranked round and she started crying. Apgar was 9, then 9 after 5 mins. Was wrapped then placed next to my head, but I couldn’t see her because she was too near! OH then held her and I could see her – was perfect in every way!!

My blood pressure is always low, but kept on dropping so they put stuff in canular – I felt fine though. Stitched me up – couldn’t feel that either, then put pain killers up my bottom – transferred me to another bed - then left theatre – thanking all the staff – they were excellent and the surgeon said, see you next year!! (ho bloody ho)!!

Went through to recovery for about an hour. Blood pressure still very low – but felt fine – had skin to skin – then back to original room – had sandwich, then onto the proper ward to settle in.

24 hrs later, Thursday morning had catheter out so I could sit in chair. That afternoon had shower, removed dressings and got dressed in real clothes. Moving about by then. Really did want to get up and about to aid recovery. Didn’t like being on bed with pads under me although bleeding was at early period level, not at all what I expected. Worst bit was the canular as it was leaking, then nurse tried to fix and undid the bit into my arm – blood everywhere – looked like a hammer horror!

So worst bit was the canular out of everything as it stopped breastfeeding from being easy. Fed her myself – buzzing whenever having problems. Midwives were excellent and had endless patience – but if they want to push this then they have to be ready to help- which they were.

Anyway, we were let out early on the saturday afternoon after having had her on the Thursday and are home now and breast feeding still going very well – a few sleepless nights, but all in we are very very happy and contented. Midwifes have been and are amazed at how I'm walking - not doing anything - just walking tall and keeping moving. I'm amazed also at the level of wellness I feel and something tells me I'd not be quite this active had it been natural.

The upshot being the c section wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought and a bit of preparation before hand in trying to get upper body fit and simple things like filling the freezer with little meals has all helped.

Thanks to everyone for the ongoing support, and we wish everyone the best of luck!

Little Frances is the most beautiful little girl in the whole wide world. I would do anything for her and love her beyond words - something I had not anticipated, at least not this strong. Would go through it all again in a flash - no hesitation!! Daddy loves her to bits, smells her, does nappies, smells her again, changes her, watches her for ages, then smells her again - he's utterly bessoted - we both are!

Happy is not the word!!

Attachments

• P1030169.jpg
    P1030169.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 13122009_002.jpg
    13122009_002.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 45
  • P1030182.jpg
    P1030182.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 36
  • P1030179.jpg
    P1030179.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 43
  • P1030211.jpg
    P1030211.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 37
Wow what a story! Congratulations on the birth of Frances - she's beautiful. x

CONGRATS hun!

I want to thank you for your story. It was wonderful and very beneficial! My baby is in a 'perfect' breech too, they are going to try and turn him/her soon but I have a feeling he/she won't be moving anywhere so I was grateful to read such a positive story.

Congrats once again, your baby is so beautiful.:hugs:

She`s so lovely- and what a unique and gorgeous hair colour- sort of a dark strawberry blonde!

Lovely! She's gorgeous! :D

Sounds like a really nice experience, I'm so pleased after you had been so nervous! Enjoy baby x

beautiful birth story congratulations & thanks for sharing it xxx

Well done brings bk memories of my C Sec

Congratulations. Frances is gorgeous.

I'm having a C-Section at 39 weeks and really appreciate the detail you've given in your birth story.

:hugs:

Congrats, she's gorgeous. My LO has just decided to turn breech and I'm panicking it will mean C-Section so thanks for the details xx

Thank you for sharing your birth story, Frances is absolutely gorgeous x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->