Myth or Truth - are we more fertile after M/C?

grandbleu

MAL with Little Blue
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I have a question because I keep hearing from friends and on this forum that after a miscarriage we are more fertile (like somehow this makes us lucky, right? I think we all would have preferred to just remain pregnant but that's besides the point)

So is there actual scientific evidence or is it just a myth?

If it's true...when are we more fertile and what does that mean more fertile as opposed to before the M/C?

I'm in my first month TTCing and I so want to get pregnant again and it would be lovely if I was more fertile but somehow I'm not so sure.

Just wondering what your thoughts are and how we can take advantage of being "more fertile" during this TTC time. How long does it last as well?

Thanks

Sorry for your loss hun. Yes I was told this alot as well, for some people it is but for me nearly 7 months later its not. Your body is so all over after a miscarraige, some people need time for it to get back to normal. Good luck xx

From what I understand, it's the leftover progesterone in your body from your loss which makes you more fertile after a mc. I think this true because I got pregnant the month after having a chemcial. However, I think the elevated levels of progesterone only last about 6 weeks or so. So after my first MMC, I bled for 7 weeks and didn't get my first AF for 9 weeks...so by the time I could try there was no progesterone in my body. It ended up taking me 6 months to get pregnant after my first MMC and D&C.....so yes I think it's true...but I think it's only for a short while.

Thank you for your answers - I think I'm beginning to understand it...so this should be my month :) - exactly 6 weeks from my M/C except that we didn't try very hard (only 1 time...abysmal BD action :( - just didn't have the heart). It would truly be a miracle but maybe that extra progesterone will help us out :shrug: Good luck to you girls as well and I'm sorry for your losses.

It only takes once!! Good luck!!

Hi Girls, I asked the same question to my doctor when I miscarried and she told me its a myth. I so wanted to believe i would get pregnant soon after as my friend did with out even getting a period and read so many stories but i think its just something we wnat to believe. I am on my third month of trying and believe me we have been really trying every other day as soon as i stopped bleeding. Last month we got ovulation kit and it still didnt happen. I know a few girls that got pregnant again with in the first couple of months and Ive read loads of stories too. I think it will happen when your body is ready. Im on month three and hoping this is the month. Good luck honey. xxx

Seems true for my brother and sis in law.

They tried for a year to get pregnant and miscarried around 12 weeks. They got pregnant again after 3 months and have a healthy 7 month old girl.

My view would be that there are lots of factors that would affect a woman's fertility after mc. Some mc's are more prolonged and complicated than others which is a major factor in when a couple even start trying again surely? I did some research myself on this after my mc and most of what I came up with and what the hospital told me pointed in the general direction of increased fertility for around 3 months. I am led to believe it's to do with the fact that your uterus obviously has a complete clear out (which normal AF does not do) and so implantation is easier for a time afterwards. I was also told that straight after mc, once the bleeding stops and you are physically well, your body is "physically" ready to be pregnant again. There is a theory that it's about a basic function of the female reproductive system to recover quickly in order to ensure the species survives. I'm not saying I subscribe to this but I thought it was interesting.

I would not try to pass any of this as absolute fact obviously but it's what I chose to base my decisions upon. I had a mc in September this year, I felt sufficiently recovered physically and emotionally and so immediately started TTC. We became pregnant again without having AF in between.

Much love and luck to everyone :hugs: x

Thats interesting kit_cat, thank you, and congrats on your bean, sending extra "stickiness" your way x

My view would be that there are lots of factors that would affect a woman's fertility after mc. Some mc's are more prolonged and complicated than others which is a major factor in when a couple even start trying again surely? I did some research myself on this after my mc and most of what I came up with and what the hospital told me pointed in the general direction of increased fertility for around 3 months. I am led to believe it's to do with the fact that your uterus obviously has a complete clear out (which normal AF does not do) and so implantation is easier for a time afterwards. I was also told that straight after mc, once the bleeding stops and you are physically well, your body is "physically" ready to be pregnant again. There is a theory that it's about a basic function of the female reproductive system to recover quickly in order to ensure the species survives. I'm not saying I subscribe to this but I thought it was interesting.

I would not try to pass any of this as absolute fact obviously but it's what I chose to base my decisions upon. I had a mc in September this year, I felt sufficiently recovered physically and emotionally and so immediately started TTC. We became pregnant again without having AF in between.

Much love and luck to everyone :hugs: x

Congratulations on your pregnancy :) I hope that some extra fertility will rub off on some of us ladies as well. Again I am so sorry for the loss you had to suffer though.

I had a mc at end of July at 6 weeks after many many years of trying. Never had a BFP before then in all those years. Have just found out I am pregnant again 4 weeks and 4 days. Was a surprise that I fell pregnant again so quickly as I am on wait list for ivf

hhmmm it does make you think, especially after the inof kit_cat has given.
i was also told the for a while afterwards the body still sits in a 'pregnant' state of mind just without a baby so everything is already all there waiting to support the 'new' baby as it were. this tends to only last up to three months depending on how far gone you were when you lost the baby.
for me it was 17 weeks i lost my little angel. but even though i dont look pregnant and dont have all the pregnancy symptoms that i had with Sonnie i still feel pregnant so i suppose in that sense it can be true, its not a mental thing either as mentally i know im not pregnant anymore, i feel fantastic within myself (down to the healthy eating since loosing Sonnie, loosing the baby definately has given me a kick up the backside and told me i need to look after myself more) but its jsut this feeling i get 'down there' and a feeling i have sitting along my lower abdomen that to me feels like i did when i was pregnant, and even though i know theres no baby in there it feels fantastic. xx

also i suppose theres some truth in it depending on your situation.
some women can try for years, fall pregnant, loose the baby the fall pregnant straight away afterwards and have a successful pregnancy and its like kit_cat said that maybe the first baby was lost due the the egg not implanting properly due to needing a good old proper clear out down there which the miscarriage does.
but it does all depend on the situation and the 'type' as it were of the miscarriage. so it can be true for some but not for all.
this has really got me thinking now! i never thought i would feel hte need to think about it but now that i am amoungst those who have suffered a loss its something to think about. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->