Name for James' baby brother!

5_Year_Plan

Reaction score
Hi all,

We found out today that we're expecting another boy! We had a girl name all picked out, but we used the only boy name we really liked for our first!!

We love James because it is short, simple, easy to spell & say, not shortened automatically and importantly fits in everywhere- as a baby, boy & man, at football, choir, in the office, the building site or the stage- wherever he wants to be :)

We're looking for an equally cover-all name, & like classic & traditional. I have trawled the name boards, but maybe I've missed a stunner??

Our top ATM is Adam. DH like Michael, but I'm not so keen, & I like Henry but he's not keen. Thomas is a no-go.

Any ideas? What are your thoughts on James and Adam?

TIA

Xxx

John
Joseph
Jacob
Josh
Jack
Ben
Sam
Max
Luke
Adam is a good strong name, but due to association with someone horrible it's a name I dislike.

George? I love James and William and James and Harry but William can be shortened. Could Henry, nn. Harry be an option, or are you totally anti nicknames/shortened names?

I like Adam, how about Harry, Finlay, Owen or George?!

Matthew
Luke
Mark
Noah
Arthur
Alfred

I found the other day looking at Thomas the tank engine that it was full of traditional old school names; Terence (the tractor), Trevor (the something I'm not sure), Percy, Gordon, Edward, James, Toby

I like Adam, very strong name but I have bad associations with it personally. I love William, Trevor, and Lucas.

I do love William, but unfortunately our surname sounds like a not-so-positive verb, so when combined with "Will" it's not a good name to give a child who hopefully Won't!! Ha ha

Thanks for all the suggestions, will discuss them with DH :)

Xx

James & Jack first came to mind!

Addt'l suggestions:

George
Noah
Paul
Sam
Leo
Julian
Felix
Aaron
Ben
Matthew
Alec

Adam is cute too!

Addt'l suggestions:

George
Noah
Paul
Sam
Leo
Julian
Felix
Aaron
Ben
Matthew
Alec

Adam is cute too!

So I pretty much always piggy back RubyRainbows, but let's face it, she's pretty genius and great usually with her taste in names. I love her suggestion of Leo (one of my all time favs!), I think Julian goes well with James (James and Julian, absolutely adorable!), and I'd like to throw Benjamin into the ring :)

I think Adam works really well!

George
Joshua
Daniel
Sam
David

Addt'l suggestions:

George
Noah
Paul
Sam
Leo
Julian
Felix
Aaron
Ben
Matthew
Alec

Adam is cute too!

So I pretty much always piggy back RubyRainbows, but let's face it, she's pretty genius and great usually with her taste in names. I love her suggestion of Leo (one of my all time favs!), I think Julian goes well with James (James and Julian, absolutely adorable!), and I'd like to throw Benjamin into the ring :)

Awww - Thanks so much! :happydance: I put a lot of thought into all the name posts I comment on - lol. I take baby-naming VERY seriously!! My OH thinks my obsession is CRAZY! :haha:

Addt'l suggestions:

George
Noah
Paul
Sam
Leo
Julian
Felix
Aaron
Ben
Matthew
Alec

Adam is cute too!

Awww - Thanks so much! :happydance: I put a lot of thought into all the name posts I comment on - lol. I take baby-naming VERY seriously!! My OH thinks my obsession is CRAZY! :haha:

I love names, I drive DH a little crazy too ;) I accidentally found a second boy name I adore and DH wants it to be for a #2 (we've haven't had one yet) and I like it more than the original I think haha...I might have to post soon for opinions :D

Aww I'm jealous you have two names you love! Lol I also love names but DH banned me from discussing it with him!! Lol

I didn't love James' name until after he'd arrived though, so I'm hoping this will be the same.

Girls names are easy to love- we were a little bit sad this one wasn't a girl, purely for the reason we won't get to use the girl name we LOVE! Lol

Xx

I know a James and Leo sibset! I immediately thought Alexander. Alex is a pretty inoffensive nn or you could opt for Alex as a full name. Or how about Samuel?

I like Leo (my grandad was Leonard, Known as Len) but DH doesnt.
I quite like Alec, but our surname starts with an s which makes it sound like Alex which I'm not so keen on. I like Xander but it's not the traditional feel of james! (& DH is so fussy!). I like same but it was Dh's childhood dog! Lol

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

Saw your signature- this little one is Pip so far too! :)

Xx

Pip was our 'yellow name'. we were very conscious of not causing gender confusion in our first baby. :D

What about Philip then? :) Or Christopher? I know several who are full Christopher's and one who is a Kit.

Oh and actually I dismissed Sam when my OH suggested it with no1 as it was the name of my neighbour's Labrador!

I always loved the name Christopher until I married one! ;) he he I mean it's DHs name so can't use it :)

Xx

James and Adam go well together.

I would also say:
George
Harry
Scott
Shaun
Nathan
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts