Name help for my little girl

Ninagrrl

Reaction score
So, originally I wanted to name my daughter Calliope Rose and I thought OH was okay with it but we just found out that we are having a girl and he is finally taking it seriously. He thinks it's an ugly name. We were going to call her Cali for short. I still want to call her Cali as a nickname but I can't come up with a name that I like that Cali would be short for. I don't want to use Cali as a whole first name because it's the nickname for California and I don't want to spell it Callie because my nieces name is Hallie.

Here I thought we had names all picked out but he was rooting for another boy and was fine with the name Jaiden Elliot! :p Now it's back to square 1 and I'm stubborn and don't want to name my baby girl anything else. I really wanted to name her Calliope but from what I've read everyone thinks it's a horrible name and that just makes me want to cry.

The only other girl name that made it on my early list was Ava Elizabeth and although it's pretty it just doesn't feel like it fits, you know?

So, originally I wanted to name my daughter Calliope Rose and I thought OH was okay with it but we just found out that we are having a girl and he is finally taking it seriously. He thinks it's an ugly name. We were going to call her Cali for short. I still want to call her Cali as a nickname but I can't come up with a name that I like that Cali would be short for. I don't want to use Cali as a whole first name because it's the nickname for California and I don't want to spell it Callie because my nieces name is Hallie.

Here I thought we had names all picked out but he was rooting for another boy and was fine with the name Jaiden Elliot! :p Now it's back to square 1 and I'm stubborn and don't want to name my baby girl anything else. I really wanted to name her Calliope but from what I've read everyone thinks it's a horrible name and that just makes me want to cry.

The only other girl name that made it on my early list was Ava Elizabeth and although it's pretty it just doesn't feel like it fits, you know?

for what its worth I dont think Calliope is ugly

what about Calleigh or Calista?

Cayleigh
Calandra
Calypso
Caleen/Calina
Caitlin

or just hyphenate it?

Cali-Rose
Cali-Mae
Cali-Grace

Awe Calliope Rose is a beautiful name! Boo to your OH :haha:.

I think the following would work for shortening to Cali:
Calista
Caroline
Camila

Or you could double barrel it and just us Cali, maybe? Like:
Cali-Rose
Cali-Elizabeth
Cali-Beth

He has changed his mind and told me to go ahead since he has previously said it was okay before. I am tempted but I still think he doesn't really like it too much. He is all okay with Cali and Rose, though. I keep asking him and he just tells me it's okay instead of his real feelings but now I don't know what to do. I just feel like this is my daughter's name for very personal reasons that would be hard to explain. What would all of you do? She's going to be referred to as just Cali for most people, would it really do harm to name her Calliope?

I know exactly how you feel. I feel like my daughter's name is Sienna even though some other people think its ugly, I just cant call her anything else. There are other names which I think are beautiful but its not HER name. My dh also took a while to come round to the name, he doesnt love it but doesnt hate it.

I dont think Calliope is ugly and I dont think it would do her harm.

Well, people can take what they want from this. Before I was pregnant with my son, I kept dreaming of a little girl named Cali. She looked different and was sometimes a baby sometimes a little girl but she always had the same presence to her. When I fell pregnant with my son, I stopped dreaming about her. I thought that had meant that I was going to have a girl and was a bit disappointed for a minute when I realized I was wrong. I love my son and I'm glad that he came first because he is special needs and needed the extra attention.

This time, before I knew I was pregnant, just before my BFP I started dreaming of her again but this time she kept saying "Hi Mom, my name is Calliope". This whole pregnancy I just knew I was going to have a girl and that her name is Calliope Rose. I just can't shake the feeling and can't think of her as anything else.

I adore Calliope!

I just wanted to jump in and second the Calypso suggestion. I am very close with a family with a Calypso that I babysat. She is beautiful and clever and funny and oh so wonderful. Lots of people call her Caly, but I love saying her name and call her Calypso, or "Oh no Calypso". We settled on *this* girl, but my husband and I also want to someday have a Calypso.

I do love Calypso but it really sounds like Calliope just means too much to you. If OH is ok with it and he likes Cali. Put Calliope on the birth certificate and just call her Cali every day. Everybody wins :thumbup:

(and I completely get the dream thing. Similar thing with dd#2. Not the same but similar :))

I always loved the look of the name Calliope if you know what I mean, but can I ask someone to tell me how to pronounce it please? x

Cal-Eye-Oh-Pee. It is kinda like Penelope.

There's a street in New Orleans called Calliope. Lots of people there call it Cal-ee-ope :) It's so cute.

There's a street in New Orleans called Calliope. Lots of people there call it Cal-ee-ope :) It's so cute.

It can be pronounced either way, but I'm getting mine from Greek Mythology. Kalliope was the muse of epic poetry. Calliope is a variation and means beautiful voice. I chose C over K because my name is Christina and my sons middle name is Christopher so I'm keeping up with the C names this way :)

I MUCH prefer the pronunciation you are using. I just like the name and it makes me smile remembering my best friend's 80 year old grandpa giving me directions and saying cal-ee-ope and I had NO clue what he was talking about. It's cute.

I've only heard this pronunciation and loved it so I started researching it. I liked the name before that but had never heard anyone say it. I am big on reading about greek mythology and just loved all of it, looks, sound and meaning and have been wanting to name my daughter it for a while now.

Anyone who knows the show Grey's Anatomy will know that one of the characters on the show is named Dr. Callie Torres. Most of the show she is only referred to as Callie but there are a couple of episodes where her father shows up and keeps calling her Calliope. That was the first time I ever heard it said other then pronouncing it myself.

Oh I SOOOO had a Calliope moment!!!!! But yeah....no support from DH, or any of my friends or family for that matter. Love it though!!!! It's cool and not too overused!

Oh I SOOOO had a Calliope moment!!!!! But yeah....no support from DH, or any of my friends or family for that matter. Love it though!!!! It's cool and not too overused!

My mom didn't like it at first because she didn't like it with the middle name we had chosen before Calliope Lynne (Lynne is OH's mothers name) so I was trying to humor her and playing around with names and just said "Calliope Rose" and it flows so much better and I fell in love all over again with the name Calliope.

At first, OH vetoed it and although I really tried not to show it, it really upset me because he had said he was fine with it before. I guess it became real once he knew that we were having a girl because he was rooting for another boy and was fine with the name Jaiden Elliot. After a while, he told me to just go with Calliope. He likes the idea of calling her Cali so he's just not going to use her full name most of the time. I was a little tentative at first to just use it after him saying it was an ugly name but he kept insisting that I go with what I feel is right.

As far as anyone else, if they don't like it.. oh well :p

cal-eye-o-pee is how I would say it, like the murdered wife of the compass killer on CSI:NY

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->