Name question

lousielou

Mummy
Reaction score
My husband and I have had a name sorted for our son for a good few months, but we're now toying with the idea of giving him my husband's name instead. It's name we both like, but to be honest I'm a little concerned about the implications of two in the family sharing the same first name...

I know it's a lot more common in the states to give a son his father's name, but how well does this work out on a practical level? What I mean is, aren't people forever saying, "How's Bob?" "Which Bob? Bob Senior or Bob Junior?" - I think that might do my head in a bit... I think I'm also a bit worried that people will call our son 'Baby OH' all his life....

Has anyone got any experience of this, or am I being silly? :wacko:

:flower:

personally it would annoy me having to wonder which one people meant or say little or junior etc for the child but its lovely to name him after his dad. my oldest has his dads name as his middle name, you could do that? especially if you already have another name you love for the first name? xxx

Me and my mum share the same name, as do my dad and brother.
Its workable, totally. :thumbup:

I was disappointed at opening an xmas present which contained shortbread, til i discovered it wasnt mine woo hoo :rofl:

If you love the name that much then go for it! I can see it could poss get confusing and DS might end up with a nickname or baby/junior/little before the name which might be annoying when he's older... I'm sure you can work it out though! xx

I wouldn't personally do it as my OH has the same name as his dad and he hates it!

His reasons against it are things like:
getting called "little / junior" when he's 20!
having post come to the house for "Mr J Wilkinson or Mr Joel Wilkinson" and not knowing who's it is

But I quite like the idea as having OH's name as a middle name for a little boy! :flower:

Tradition in my family is to give the firstborn son his father's name as his middle name. It works out quite well, actually. Another thing you could do is give your son his father's name, but call him by his middle name.

That's what my husband's father did. For some odd reason, his father wanted both his boys to be named Leslie, his first name. His first son ended up Edward Leslie, and my husband ended up Leslie Michael, but goes by Michael.

In turn, given the tradition in my family, my son is Isaiah Michael Phoenix.

My nephew is named after my brother and everyone calls him 'Baby Ben' and everyone has started calling my brother 'Big Ben'..
My big brother is named after my dad, he's always been 'Little Terry'..
My cousin is named after his dad, he is known as 'Johnny Boy'
anddddd another cousin is named after her mum and shes always been 'Charley Girl'...

an ex of mine was the same - both him and his dad were james, but his dad was known as Jim and he was known as James..

Is it a name that could be changed slightly as a nickname suchas Robert also known as Bob, Rob etc??

Personally its something I hate my friend and her mum were both called Irene and my friend is still known as wee Irene at 37. Another friend called her son his dads name, they call the son donald and the Dad - Dad! Even when she is talking about her husband she calls him Dad.

It is definitely each to there own and if you love it then go for it, but with so many names in the world why choose 2 the same in one family! i think the idea of using it as a middle name is a good one i would do that if DH had a nice name!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->