• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Name regret

tiredmumma

Reaction score
My youngest daughter is off to school in September. Now, more than when she's been at nursery and preschool I keep getting this feeling we shouldn't have given her such a popular name.

It was the only one hubby and I agreed on but there was another name I loved and hubby said no to. I still feel that's her name.

Not a lot I can do about it now, but anyone else feel like this and it passed?

Yeah definitely. My DD's name is Olivia which was hugely popular when she was born. When she went to nursery there were 2 Olivias and they started calling her Olivia E which really bothered me. But I must say since she got to school it's stopped bothering me. I'm not sure why, I think maybe it's because it doesn't bother her in the slightest that there are other Olivias in the school therefore if she's happy I'm happy :)

We gave DS a more unusual name (Wesley) because of my regret about giving DD such a common name, and although I still love his name, I do feel a bit sorry for him when we go on holiday and Olivia can find toys with her name on it in the gift shop but Wesley can't. So we can't win really! :haha:

Yeah definitely. My DD's name is Olivia which was hugely popular when she was born. When she went to nursery there were 2 Olivias and they started calling her Olivia E which really bothered me. But I must say since she got to school it's stopped bothering me. I'm not sure why, I think maybe it's because it doesn't bother her in the slightest that there are other Olivias in the school therefore if she's happy I'm happy :)

We gave DS a more unusual name (Wesley) because of my regret about giving DD such a common name, and although I still love his name, I do feel a bit sorry for him when we go on holiday and Olivia can find toys with her name on it in the gift shop but Wesley can't. So we can't win really! :haha:

I was just popping on to say that I know how disappointed my Ds used to get when he couldn't find gifts with his name on them, he has a very unusual name, although in our family there is one in every generation (so it's very normal for us). When he started school I found a great web site, Simply Colors who do personalised lunch boxes, water bottles etc, we sat down and chose the designs and wording ourselves and he's delighted that he's got such unique things. https://www.simplycolors.co.uk/?lea...MIlNmf-tuG1gIVCrXtCh1xZgfMEAAYASAAEgJMyPD_BwE

I was just popping on to say that I know how disappointed my Ds used to get when he couldn't find gifts with his name on them, he has a very unusual name, although in our family there is one in every generation (so it's very normal for us). When he started school I found a great web site, Simply Colors who do personalised lunch boxes, water bottles etc, we sat down and chose the designs and wording ourselves and he's delighted that he's got such unique things. https://www.simplycolors.co.uk/?lea...MIlNmf-tuG1gIVCrXtCh1xZgfMEAAYASAAEgJMyPD_BwE

Oh wow that's awesome! Thank you :)

I have a fairly popular 80s name but could never find it in gifts either because it's a fairly long name and would never fit in anything!

I haven't experienced name regret myself, but is there a nickname you could give her?

My son has a relatively popular name and I have my moments of regret too. We'll be at the playground and another mom will call out to her son and I get a little zap in my heart every time. BUT! I absolutely LOVE ❤️ his name. It's strong and timeless and I've decided that it doesn't matter if there are other kids in his class with that name because I can't picture him as anything else and in the end it's still a great name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->