Name too morbid?

bassdesire

Reaction score
Asher, is it morbid? A friend suggested it was being so similar to ashes...like ashes to ashes dust to dust...

Matan, a lovely Jewish / Hebrew name that means something not great in Spanish (not our language, we are in US, though)
Found online:
Spanish To English - matan
[matar] v. kill, murder; slaughter; homicide; butcher; postmark; destroy; file, smooth with a file; cancel; diminish; upset

:( I still like Matan (tani for nn)

If you like it. Why should you worry what anyone else thinks, its your little one. Asher is nice name Xx

But would you name a kid something that translates to murderer from a very common language? I'm so bummed

Ive never heard of Matan before but as you've said. Its a lovely Jewish/Hebrew name. You speak English, so personally, it should be down to what you want to name them. Matan means gift in Hebrew. So therefore, the baby would be suited to the name if you think of the Hebrew name x

Yes gift/giving so Hebrew meaning is nice. We have some Spanish speakers in the family though :/ I'm just worried but I still like it

Im sure if you explain the origin and its meaning, they will understand x

Love Asher, nothing bad about it.
I'm personally not keen on Matan but thats nothing to do with the Spanish translation, I think the meaning is lovely. If you think it'd be a problem then don't go for it, maybe mention it and see what kind of reaction they give? :)

That's true...I could do that. Matan, yeah, I'm not worried if people like the name itself since I'm not too easily swayed...it is more if the Spanish translation would prevent you from using or considering it...just like you said :) like if it is "wrong" to use it because of the meaning. Even tho in Hebrew it has such a nice meaning!!

Is the 'a' is Matan a long or short vowel? Personally i prefer Asher- there are a few other names that begin with 'ash' (Ashley, Ashton) and none have ever reminded me of ashes nor does that one. The level of morbidity in Matan to me all depends on how its pronounced. If it has a short 'a' like the word 'matar' then I would personally avoid it. There is lots of Spanish in the united states and its a popular second language choice around the world, why pick a name that sounds like something so awful.

Asher is fine IMO

Matan reminds me of Satan if it's pronounced like that? I don't like how it sounds either. And given the Spanish translation I would definitely say no to that one.

What about Mason?

I really like the name Asher :wacko: have never thought it to be a morbid name

Not keen on Matan.

However, I love Asher. It reminds me of the actor Asher Book from the latest rendition of Fame.

I don't find either to be morbid. I understand the meaning in a different language may have a morbid meaning.

If its not your language then I do not see the problem.

I really like the name Asher. I live in a high Spanish speaking area so I would not use Matan.

Don't like Matan but I know heaps of ashers. Also Ash and Ashton :)

I know lots of Ashers, it has never struck me as morbid. I like it. Matan is a very nice name too, and I think your family will adjust. But if you live (or plan to live) in a spanish speaking area, I might avoid it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->