Names

Desi's_lost

baby girl,boy and me
Reaction score
Ugh, i know its still early, but I already had a name picked out for Syri by this point and this time I dont even have an idea. I kind of want to choose something Vietnamese but OH and I can't think of anything we like. Neither of us have any particular affinities towards any names of any nationalities..

Maybe I would be interested in Yui for a girl because i've taken to it as a...not nickname but sort of private way of referring to Syri..long story, its from a tv show. I wouldnt mind keeping it around for a second child.

I had always said I wanted to name any male children I had Julien but of course one of my OH's best friends is named Julien. Same spelling and all so OH doesnt like it.

It just really annoys me that I've got nothing. :wacko:

Good luck!

Tip: Be careful. If you plan to raise a UK kid in Britain, than you might give it a common British name spelled traditionally. Else the kid will spend half their life explaining the spelling, origin, and pronunciation to strangers, professors, employers, new acquiantances. If they become a professional, then that name goes on their diplomas & licenses & business cards.

I am in a tough position due to my mom's creative spelling. IT IS NOT COOL. :( I am considering a change of my first name (legally, using govt forms).

If I was raising an Iraqi kid in Iraq, I would give it an Arabic name to make its life easier. If I was Vietnamese mom in Vietnam, I'd give my child a common Vietnamese name. I would want my child to have every advantage in our chosen society.

I wouldn't worry about it! I'm not even thinking about names this time :) We had a couple of boys names last time and no girls, when he was born he ended up being called something completely different! I loved Brandon, and he was named Jason, which I would never have thought of! :)

I agree with Clair, I wouldn't worry about it! I still don't have a name for this baby, and don't plan on even thinking about names until he's born.

I figured I'll just 'know' when I see him for the first time!

We had Lexi from before we even knew we were having a baby let alone a girl haha however towards the end I got sick of her name and wanted to change it every 5 mins but her dad wasnt having any of it, I rarely call her lexi haaha! She's loo loo to me haha! But I think you can get bored of names like I did so just think but don't name haha! Xx

Good luck!

Tip: Be careful. If you plan to raise a UK kid in Britain, than you might give it a common British name spelled traditionally. Else the kid will spend half their life explaining the spelling, origin, and pronunciation to strangers, professors, employers, new acquiantances. If they become a professional, then that name goes on their diplomas & licenses & business cards.

I am in a tough position due to my mom's creative spelling. IT IS NOT COOL. :( I am considering a change of my first name (legally, using govt forms).

If I was raising an Iraqi kid in Iraq, I would give it an Arabic name to make its life easier. If I was Vietnamese mom in Vietnam, I'd give my child a common Vietnamese name. I would want my child to have every advantage in our chosen society.

Maybe it's different in the US, but I was named Desarae and aside from the Spanish community where I just moved too being confused by it, i've never had a problem in school, work, college. I mean, people have to clarify but..they'll live. I see it as no "worse" than being in a class with 5 John's or 5 Kelly's. My daughters name is Asyria and I always get compliments on it. :shrug:

As far as the just knowing when they're born..i'm too scared to do that! :haha: i'm afraid I wouldnt be able to pick the right thing or end up like my sister who was named last second and my mom has always felt just a tiny bit disappointed because she prefers unique names and my step dad chose Alyssa.

My ex boyfriend is Vietnamese. Him and his siblings all have pretty "American" names (Donald, Diana, and Daniel), but they have Vietnamese middle names. Their parents were from Vietnam though, and they are very very...foreign? for lack of a better word. Their parents only speak Vietnamese though, and they only call their children by their middle names.

I mean this as nicely as possible, but all the vietnamese I've met that have been native are very stubborn. While people can get away with immigrating from a Spanish country and not learning a lot of English, for the most part, there aren't large enough Vienamese communities where it "works" to not learn English.
My OH's dad knows very little English. His second wife and their daughter just moved here last year and I swear they have no intention of teaching the daughter English. All their friends barely speak English. Even one of my managers from my home town spoke very little English. And these are people that have been in country for 30-40 years o_O).
They leave fish and other food out over night even though they have a perfectly good fridge. They have a dryer but rarely use it. It's just strange.
I really don't get it. I can't imagine making my life in a country and never adapting.

[QUOTE
Maybe it's different in the US, but I was named Desarae and aside from the Spanish community where I just moved too being confused by it, i've never had a problem in school, work, college. I mean, people have to clarify but..they'll live. I see it as no "worse" than being in a class with 5 John's or 5 Kelly's. My daughters name is Asyria and I always get compliments on it. :shrug:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, after the nine eleven bombings, it became really difficult for people with different/odd names IN CERTAIN CITIES & AIRPORTS. And it is not over. The new grand theft auto v has a scene where the brown, Arabic foreigner is tortured by "FIB" agents using waterboarding & jumper cables. :(

Vietnamese immigrants do not bother to learn your language, but you will honor theirs by naming a girl child "Yiu?" ...............That's cool. My big sis has an Asian fetish (Korean).

Umm well then. I'm not sure how to respond to much of that than to say Yui, not Yiu, is Japanese.. Not even sort of Vietnamese..
And what the natives I've met choose to do, doesn't have anything to do with me naming my child. Besides, counsidering my country leveled Vietnam, I don't think it'll break the bank to give them a little "honor".

Umm, I'm not to sure how respond to that comment... a little un called for?

I have a small boy list for this baby (no doubt it'll be another boy!) And I'm 99.9% sure OH will HATE all of them lol

That's my other issue. Anytime I come close to liking something, OH is like nuh uh :( but then never wants to sit down and work on it. Meanie he is.

Actually he likes Yui so I'm happy with that. We're doing pretty well with the Japanese theme so Kyo and Shiro are on the maybe list.

Wait til you know babies sex then write a list full of names you like and give it to OH, let him scribble out the ones he dislikes.
That's what we've done, we've now got 2 names we like equally and will probably decide for sure between the 2 at birth :)

Good luck!

This sounds on par with that horrible Katie Hopkins woman and her disregard for certain names.

My OH's LO is called Dannii and she has never faced anyone who has given her any form of trouble because it is an unusual name. The same applies to a girl I work with called Darragh.

People have come to accept that in this day and age people are becoming more creative with the spelling of names, the origins that parent's find names from etc. It's called an adaptable society.

And who care's if the name goes on with them in a professional manner - it's the name they've used for 20+ years, I highly doubt that it will be a deciding factor.

As for your 9/11 comments, I don't even know what to say.

Desi - I second the suggestion about writing a list. If you are finding out the sex, then wait until then and then you can either: write a list yourself, give it to OH and then let him veto names he isn't fond of; or get both you and OH to write a list and veto each other's names/see if there are any common names.
The same would apply if you were team yellow, but you would just do both sets of names.

I think Malcolm Gladwell has written extensively about how non-conformist/odd first names correlate with various life outcomes. He writes abt statistics: "tipping point," "blink," "outliers."

I don't know whether aqualung is being unintentionally obnoxious or just plain rude....

But I wouldn't stress about names just yet ;) I've heard many a story where parents have been set on names the whole pregnancy and then give birth and just give them a completely different name :D

I think Malcolm Gladwell has written extensively about how non-conformist/odd first names correlate with various life outcomes. He writes abt statistics: "tipping point," "blink," "outliers."

Scholars once sided with nazi's, doctors used to support lobotomies. A famous name writing on a topic means little to nothing. Look at more relavent writers like tizzy hall..

I've know quite a few people of African decent who have "non conformist" names who have pulled themselves out of poverty and gone on to study at Yale. I can understand that having a name of Arabic decent could lead to ignorant individuals treating someone badly because of race tensions. But that's nothing to do with the persons actual name but because the person discriminating against them having person racial prejedicious. Honestly, there's little to no racism against Asian/Oriental cultures so in this thread at least, even on the ground of racial pregedious, it just doesn't fit.

We're in the 21st century, most names don't even come from a culture anymore they're just made up as people go along.
Just seems your gonna end up sparking some kind of disagreement so maybe we should leave the topic well alone now! :D

OP - I saw your on team :blue: I hope you find a great name, that you love, for your lil guy! Congratulations :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->